PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition "Ossabaw Island: Holy Ground"

sanking
29-Apr-2013, 17:44
There will be an exhibition of the work of the Ossabaw Artists' Collective (http://ossabawartistscollective.weebly.com/) at the Lyndon House Arts Center in Athens, Georiga from May 19-July 27, 2013. The Opening Reception will be on Sunday, May 19, from 2-4 pm.

From the web page of the Ossabaw Artist's Collective, "The Ossabaw Artists’ Collective is a coalition of diverse, experienced visual artists who regularly return to Ossabaw Island. The OAC promotes artistic excellence and cross-inspiration of styles and technique, while emphasizing the unique cultural and ecologic character of the island that has resulted in Ossabaw Island being recognized and protected as the first Georgia State Heritage Preserve. The activities of the OAC complement the cultural traditions of the many artists who have visited Ossabaw Island over the years. The mission of the OAC strives to support the work of the Ossabaw Island Foundation (www.ossabawisland.org) and the Ossabaw Island Education Alliance (www.usg.edu/ossabaw/).

I am a member of this collective and a selection of my work, which includes traditional carbon transfer prints as well as other types of color and monochrome prints, is included in the exhibition.

Sandy King

Kirk Gittings
29-Apr-2013, 17:53
goog for you!

jvo
29-Apr-2013, 20:08
congratulations...

looks like a trip north is called for!!!

jvo

Bill_1856
30-Apr-2013, 06:25
Looks like quite a place. Where do you stay when photographing there?

sanking
30-Apr-2013, 06:58
Looks like quite a place. Where do you stay when photographing there?

There are two houses for island guests. One is an old Sears house built in the 1880s. Big and comfortable but the rooms have barrack type beds and you can not always be sure of being by yourself. There is a more modern guest house where the "important" people stay, say guests of the state or the guests of the Ossabaw Foundation.

And of course friends of the family stay at the old mansion of Sandy West, the lady who sold the island to the state back in the Carter administration. The house becomes the property of the state when Mrs. West passes, but she is close to 100 now and still gets around the island.

There is no tourism on the island, and the only people who live there are two or three employees of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

Sandy

h2oman
30-Apr-2013, 07:16
That looks like a cool place, and you appear to be in fine company. I probably won't make the show, as it is a bit of a hike for me, but perusing the work at the web page was quite enjoyable.