PDA

View Full Version : Repair Broken Rise/Fall Cambo SF - Suggestions Welcome...

polymerase
28-Apr-2013, 17:47
Hey Folks,

A buddy of mine was playing around with my Cambo SF and managed to break off both of my rise/fall knobs. (You'd think he'd've learned after the first one snapped...)

Do you know where I can find replacement parts for this guy? Or do you know of a DIY solution?

I've tried using clamps to hold the standards in place, but they still slip. When functional, the knobs work by pulling (not pushing) the C-bracket closer to the knob as you twist it tighter via a spring (this is why clamps don't work). I'm pretty bummed out about this camera being out of commission, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

More info about this specific camera:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/cambo-45sf/

Detailed photos of a non-broken one:
http://www.camgle.com/forum/thread-291386-1-1.html

A non-broken side-view:

My broken Cambo SF:

Dan Fromm
28-Apr-2013, 17:57
Have you thought of asking Calumet or Cambo? www.calumetphoto.com www.cambo.com

Calumet is the US distributor and owns Cambo.

David Karp
28-Apr-2013, 19:00
Wow. He must have gone out of his way to break those! I would have had a hard time breaking mine.

Contact Calumet in Chicago. Ask for Jose. He should be able to lead you to the proper replacements.

polymerase
28-Apr-2013, 19:11
Thanks for replies!

I've sent Cambo and Calumet an email. I also conveniently live in Chicago, so I might pop by Calumet in person sometime soon as well.

Also, those brackets on the SF are extremely fragile because they're made of plastic instead of metal. The knobs are fantastic (and metal), but twist too far and, snap! In retrospect, I saw my friend starring in awe at the camera (it was the first time he'd seen it), so I should've paid more attention as he was playing with the knobs.... C'est la vie.

In the event Cambo and Calumet are unable to help, anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Tin Can
28-Apr-2013, 20:12
I would take the camera to Calumet Chicago, pop it on the counter and politely ask for Jose.

They have pretty good service in person.

Bad website.

Thanks for replies!

I've sent Cambo and Calumet an email. I also conveniently live in Chicago, so I might pop by Calumet in person sometime soon as well.

Also, those brackets on the SF are extremely fragile because they're made of plastic instead of metal. The knobs are fantastic (and metal), but twist too far and, snap! In retrospect, I saw my friend starring in awe at the camera (it was the first time he'd seen it), so I should've paid more attention as he was playing with the knobs.... C'est la vie.

In the event Cambo and Calumet are unable to help, anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

polymerase
29-Apr-2013, 14:14
Jose is definitely the best.

I just ordered the parts (the knob itself is backordered) so I should be back up and running in no time.

Thanks for suggestions folks!

(Also, for those curious, the cost of the lock bar is $34. With two lock bars, one knob, a washer, and the spring, with $5 shipping came out to a total of $103.19. Not bad, but my friend owes me a nice dinner.. :) )
(And I need the extra knob because one of them has magically gone missing....)