PDA

View Full Version : Film Holder Pulled Apart

Alex Hawley
6-Jun-2004, 20:36
Well, it finally happened. The bottom piece of a film holder pulled away as I was removing it from the camera. What's the usual fix? Standard wood glue? The holder is a standard wooden 8x10 Eastman made by Folmer Graflex.

Didn't miss the shot though!

David G. Gagnon
6-Jun-2004, 20:48
Alex,

I've repaired several of the Graflex/ Kodak film holders like you have. I used carpenter's wood glue, either Titebond brand or Elmers. The trick is to use it sparingly, so no clumps are left where the end flap won't seal properly. Also, while you've got it on the workbench, check any other joints that might be loose and glue them as well. Check for square with a framing square, clamp lightly in place overnight, and you're back in business.

An alternative would be to send it to me for proper disposal ;-)

Good luck.

DG

David R Munson
6-Jun-2004, 22:01
I'd probably go with epoxy, personally, and use rubber bands to hold things in place while it was setting if possible. If there was any excess afterwards I'd go after it with a small, sharp wood chisel.

Alex Hawley
7-Jun-2004, 07:47
Thanks guys!

Bill_1856
7-Jun-2004, 08:00
No wonder you're having problems, Alex. With all those wonderful pictures you're making lately, the old film holders are just bursting with pride!

Don Bryant
7-Jun-2004, 08:33
Alex,

Use Elmers carpentars glue or a water soluble epoxy. THis makes clean up simple which would eliminate sanding. I've used Elmers on older Kodak wooden film holders and it works fine.

My 2 cents,

Alex Hawley
7-Jun-2004, 09:37
Bill, you're too kind. Thanks. Thanks to everyone that offered a suggestion. I'm thankful too that this old equipment is always fixable.