PDA

View Full Version : Storing PMK in refrigerator

jeremy_4146
6-Jun-2004, 16:15
I have just started using PMK in premixed bottles of solution A and B from Photo Formulary. Shelf life is supposed to be indefinate.

I usually store premixed chemicals in a refrigerator. Anyone do this with PMK? I don't know why I am hesitating, other than PMK is new to me.

Deniz
6-Jun-2004, 16:23
I used to store liquid chemicals in the fridge but i dont anymore. Reason being remembering that gasses disolve more in liquids as the temperature drops. Since chemicals exhaust in contact with air, putting in the fridge would only make things worse.

I store them in the basement where its cool.

Bob._3483
6-Jun-2004, 18:15
Ilford give the storage life of their stock strength developers based on storage at between 4 & 20 degrees C (or 5-20 depending on developer) which suggests that a domestic refrigerator is OK for Ilford developers at least. To what extent the extra absorption is offset by the reduced chemical activity at lower temperatures would need testing for each developer and container (a fully airtight bottle would not absorb more air as the contents cooled in any case, but as we know, not all plastics are impermeable to oxygen).

Cheers,

Eric Woodbury
6-Jun-2004, 19:40
I store them in the darkroom which is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Never had a problem in 10 years. If you put it in the fridge, don't put it next to the icewater. Bad things might develop.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Jun-2004, 01:01
The stock solutions are very long lasting at room temperature. Gordon Hutchings even recommended aging part A at one time. I don't know if he still does. Save the fridge space for film.

Bill_1856
7-Jun-2004, 08:02
NEVER put anything potentially poisonous in the 'fridge! NEVER!

Paul Metcalf
7-Jun-2004, 11:32
Save the fridge space for beer...