PDA

View Full Version : BLM Poster from Canyon of the Ancients

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2013, 16:03
Poster by the BLM from my artist-in-residency at Canyon of the Ancients last year. Now if I could only find a live body somewhere in the system to get a copy:).

4x5 Phillips, Nikor 120 SW, Fuji Across, green filter, Pyrocat HD

vinny
25-Apr-2013, 16:23
Nice one!

RawheaD
25-Apr-2013, 16:26
Can you tell me about this artist-in-residency program a bit more?

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2013, 16:35
Can you tell me about this artist-in-residency program a bit more?

I was actually the first in the history of the BLM-been a few more since. The deadline has past for this year. Try it next year.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/Learning_Landscapes/For_Students_of_all_Ages/artist-in-residence.html

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/Learning_Landscapes/For_Students_of_all_Ages/artist-in-residence/2013_sites.html

David Karp
25-Apr-2013, 16:59
Very nice Kirk.

mmerig
25-Apr-2013, 17:05
Poster by the BLM from my artist-in-residency at Canyon of the Ancients last year. Now if I could only find a live body somewhere in the system to get a copy:).

4x5 Fuji Across, green filter, Pyrocat HD

Very nice Kirk -- even the thumbnail looks great!

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2013, 17:12
thanks guys.

Chauncey Walden
25-Apr-2013, 17:19
Whoa! They even have a picture of the artist - and they say the poster set is available: http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/Learning_Landscapes/For_Students_of_all_Ages/artist-in-residence.html
Way to go Kirk. I think Eric and I had blank skies when we were there.
Chauncey

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2013, 17:24
Thanks Chauncey, I averaged I think, 150 of miles a day driving around COA chasing clouds!

Leigh
25-Apr-2013, 17:46
That's a great shot, Kirk. Congrats.

- Leigh

Merg Ross
25-Apr-2013, 22:19
Excellent!

redrockcoulee
26-Apr-2013, 09:13
A nice clean design to go with the excellent image, congraduations

Ivan

Drew Wiley
26-Apr-2013, 09:37
Wonderful timing with the clouds, with the way they replicate the swirls under the ledge. Really comes to life!

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 10:02
Wonderful timing with the clouds, with the way they replicate the swirls under the ledge. Really comes to life!

Thanks Drew. I was chasing those clouds after scouting the location the day before (blank sky). I was staying at B&B about 25 miles away and drove like a bat out of hell to get there and then hike down a 1/4 mile-a bit of luck as at that distance you have no idea really what its like at the shoot location but this time it worked out-shot a few negs as this cloud pattern blew by. This had the best feel.

Heroique
26-Apr-2013, 10:29
...green filter...

Green has been my most used b/w filter in high desert country.

I like it for skies, colored sandstones, green junipers...

What I like about this shot are the twin forces of the ledge – thrusting-out of the earth + pushing-up to support the dwelling. Lots of energy!

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 10:32
Thanks. The green filter became a standard for me many years ago while doing the Chaco project. It also doesn't render evergreens do deep too. I really struggled at first with yellow-red filters wiping out the texture in yellow/red sandstone till I ran acros an article about Brett Weston and him using the green filter in such landscapes.

bensonga
26-Apr-2013, 11:40
Congratulations Kirk.....that's a beautiful image. If/when you do find out how to order/purchase the poster, please let us know. I would like to buy one too.

Gary Benson
Alaska

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 12:11
Thanks. Will do.

Alan Curtis
26-Apr-2013, 13:25
Kirk
This shows exactly why they selected you for the Artist is Residence program. They now have a stunning poster for their program.

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 14:02
Thanks man. That makes my day. I have another AIR coming up in August at the Petrified Forest NP. Lets hope I do as well.

Drew Wiley
26-Apr-2013, 14:03
Well a hack would have reached for a red filter and spoiled all that buoyant luminosity which makes this thing work so well. But I too truly enjoy the angle of view.... that twisted turret effect that sets everything slightly askew, with the dynamic motion transferred right into the clouds. It ain't all luck.

Merg Ross
26-Apr-2013, 14:37
Well a hack would have reached for a red filter and spoiled all that buoyant luminosity which makes this thing work so well. But I too truly enjoy the angle of view.... that twisted turret effect that sets everything slightly askew, with the dynamic motion transferred right into the clouds. It ain't all luck.

Very true, "it ain't all luck". Perhaps sometimes a little luck, but most often, really fine large format photography employs an understanding of materials, technique, sometimes scouting, and an eye for composition. They all came together here.

tgtaylor
26-Apr-2013, 15:04
Great image Kirk. It wouldn't have worked as well with a cobalt blue sky unless, maybe, you shot it in IR(?) You know it looks very similar to a structure that I saw at Hovenweep.

Thomas

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 15:18
Thanks Thomas. Canyon of the Ancients National Monument (BLM) surrounds Hovenweep National Monument (National Parks Service) and actually includes some ruins that are part of the exact same culture as is in Hovenweep. AAMOF the northern most dirt road to the "Cutthroat Castle" Hovenweep ruins runs right through the BLM monument lands. At one point you go straight to the Cutthroat Castle Hovenweep ruin site or turn left and go to the BLM "Painted Hand Pueblo" ruin site (the one in my photograph). HNM is much older than COANM but COANM is much much larger (256 sq. miles!!). Seems like a waste of resources to have these on top of each other with all the duplicate management etc. but there it is-competing federal agencies.

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 15:21
Well a hack would have reached for a red filter and spoiled all that buoyant luminosity which makes this thing work so well. But I too truly enjoy the angle of view.... that twisted turret effect that sets everything slightly askew, with the dynamic motion transferred right into the clouds. It ain't all luck. Drew

Very true, "it ain't all luck". Perhaps sometimes a little luck, but most often, really fine large format photography employs an understanding of materials, technique, sometimes scouting, and an eye for composition. They all came together here. Merg

Awh shucks guys you are gonna make me blush!

Brian K
26-Apr-2013, 15:35
Well done Kirk! Looks great. I hope you were happy with the repro although it seems pretty good to me.

Kirk Gittings
26-Apr-2013, 15:37
Lets say that they did a much better job than I feared they might. I've had some horrid experiences over the years with reproductions and though I haven't physically seen the poster yet, I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

dsphotog
27-Apr-2013, 01:11
Excellent, Kirk
As always!

al olson
27-Apr-2013, 12:48
Wonderful shot, Kirk. I agree with Heroique about the composition. I never would have thought to use a green filter. I really like the results though.

With the exception of last year, I have been there nearly every year for the past eight, usually camping there for a couple of nights. These ancient subjects are perfect for monochrome. My preference has been infrared with IR filter, either Ilford SFX for MF or MACO and now Rollei for sheets.

I don't feel that the Square Tower Visitor site is as photogenic as several of the smaller off sites. In my opinion the off sites (sh-h-h-h) have more to offer and they are usually void of tourists. And it is shameful what they have done to the Lowry site.

I want to look into the AiR program for next year. Did you get a chance to meet the other artists? It looks like you were the only photographer.

In a couple of weeks the no-see-em season will be here and they are relentless. Not a good time to be camping.

Green has been my most used b/w filter in high desert country.

I like it for skies, colored sandstones, green junipers...

What I like about this shot are the twin forces of the ledge – thrusting-out of the earth + pushing-up to support the dwelling. Lots of energy!

David Lobato
27-Apr-2013, 13:21
I've been to Hovenweep several times and drove right by Canyon of the Ancients without realizing it, though most of the time it was before it got the designation. Nice to have another place to explore. And I'm also interested in the poster. Nice shot Kirk.

Merg Ross
27-Apr-2013, 16:05
Thanks. The green filter became a standard for me many years ago while doing the Chaco project. It also doesn't render evergreens do deep too. I really struggled at first with yellow-red filters wiping out the texture in yellow/red sandstone till I ran acros an article about Brett Weston and him using the green filter in such landscapes.

That is very interesting about Brett and the green filter. I know he often used a K2, but his lack of interest in anything technical is well documented. Someone must have told him. I bet it was Ansel, or maybe Dick Garrod. Brett often relied on Ansel for technical advice. For sure, the green filter comes in very handy sometimes, as demonstrated here.

jayabbas
27-Apr-2013, 20:11
As always it seems that life is the filter. Too much technicality becomes a filter . The masters loaded , cocked , used their brain and went on high for the moment. Soon after followed trepidation and after that was a plan of action. I love the analog way -- the way of the " one way artist" . Reminds me of Minor White ...

RawheaD
27-Apr-2013, 20:12
I was actually the first in the history of the BLM-been a few more since. The deadline has past for this year. Try it next year.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/Learning_Landscapes/For_Students_of_all_Ages/artist-in-residence.html

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/Learning_Landscapes/For_Students_of_all_Ages/artist-in-residence/2013_sites.html

Very cool, thanks for the info!!!

Gary Nylander
27-Apr-2013, 21:29
Congrats, Kirk, Beautiful photograph!

Kirk Gittings
28-Apr-2013, 08:27
Thanks all.

That is very interesting about Brett and the green filter. I know he often used a K2, but his lack of interest in anything technical is well documented. Someone must have told him. I bet it was Ansel, or maybe Dick Garrod. Brett often relied on Ansel for technical advice. For sure, the green filter comes in very handy sometimes, as demonstrated here.

Its also possible that I am remembering wrong in attributing this to Brett. It was back in 1979 or so that I remember reading the article, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Eric Biggerstaff
28-Apr-2013, 11:11
NICE!

I love it! Well, now I need to get back down there as everything I made in the area sucked! Chauncey got a few nice ones.

Way to go.

Eric

Merg Ross
28-Apr-2013, 20:29
Thanks all.

Its also possible that I am remembering wrong in attributing this to Brett. It was back in 1979 or so that I remember reading the article, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Not disagreeing, but still curious! Could the article have been referencing Alan Ross, perhaps? All of which still leads back to Ansel. Sorry for the diversion; the green filter surely worked well for you!

Kirk Gittings
28-Apr-2013, 20:41
Definitely not AR. didn't know who he was back then. Whoever it was a good tip. Thanks Merg.

Kirk Gittings
3-May-2013, 13:33
Just got a nice note from Craig Childs congratulating me on the poster! Craig is one of my favorite writers, author of House of Rain, The Secret Knowledge of Water etc. Apparently he and his wife were instrumental in initiating this program. Way cool.