PDA

View Full Version : Polyfocus Viewfinder

redshift
25-Apr-2013, 13:08
I've got a Polyfocus 4x5 Viewfinder made by TEWE for MPP in England. It looks like it is supposed to mount in an accessory shoe. There is an adjustment on the mount that seems to correct for parallax by tipping the viewfinder. There is a zoom function marked from 90mm to 360mm with a red and black reference mark. I'm assuming the red mark is for IR but that's a guess. The front element has a mask that represents 4x5. The element rotates to move the mask from portrait to landscape. Does anyone know what this was made for? I use it to preview lens view. Does it have any contemporary use.

evan clarke
25-Apr-2013, 13:14
You bet it has a use. I carry a Linhof Technika viewfinder in my pocket and use it to analyze all my compositions. It might be the best thing I ever bought.

Joseph Dickerson
25-Apr-2013, 14:26
Sounds like a nice find...but I doubt the red mark is for Infrared as we don't see IR.

I agree with Evan's assessment.

JD

Bill_1856
25-Apr-2013, 15:27
The red mark is for near distances (smaller field).

Peter De Smidt
25-Apr-2013, 15:44
I have one. I use it as Evan suggests.

redshift
25-Apr-2013, 16:19
In the old days range finders and lenses had a red reference mark for focusing when using infrared film for exactly that reason. You'd focus with visible light and then align with the offset provided by the red mark. At least that is the way I remember which may not be solid.

Any guess on what this thing is worth? I'll probably sell it.

Sounds like a nice find...but I doubt the red mark is for Infrared as we don't see IR.

I agree with Evan's assessment.

JD

Peter De Smidt
25-Apr-2013, 17:06
$150-$200 in excellent condition.

redshift
25-Apr-2013, 18:26
$150-$200 in excellent condition.

Thanks Peter.