PDA

View Full Version : Need some lens advice

bentleyR
24-Apr-2013, 05:12
I've got a Graflex 4X5 Series D with a f/4.5, 7 1/2" Kodak Anastigmat. I'm looking for a faster lens that would be more suitable for handheld portraits and street photography. Since the camera has a FP shutter barrel lenses are fine. I'm not to scared about cobbling up a way to mount a lens. The main thing is having enough back focal length to clear the mirror. I've got an Aero Ektar (that I bought about 40 years ago for $17!) that doesn't quite allow focusing beyond a few feet. Any suggestions?

Oh, and, of course, I'd like to pay $17 for it as well;)

Allan

goamules
24-Apr-2013, 08:40
I've got a Graflex 4X5 Series D with a f/4.5, 7 1/2" Kodak Anastigmat. I'm looking for a faster lens that would be more suitable for handheld portraits and street photography. ...

I don't think a faster lens would be more suitable. Why faster than what the camera was designed for, press photographers did portraits and street shots with F4.5? Today's films are much faster than those in 1947, so problem solved for any street photography, even in low light. Or are you saying you just want to attempt to accurately focus, handheld, the very narrow depth of field of a much faster lens? If so, are you asking, "what faster lens will fit on a 4" lensboard and clear the mirror?"

Mark Sawyer
24-Apr-2013, 09:43
The Aero Ektar is just a half-inch shorter than the 7.5", so you might cobble together a short lensboard extension to move it out a bit (if the Graflex allows for it, and you may not be able to close the front flap.)

Or ask in the forum's for sale section about trading it for an 8" Pentac (f/2.9). A straight across trade would be pretty fair for lenses in equivalent condition.

Jody_S
24-Apr-2013, 10:02
I have a 1925 sunken-mount Dallmeyer Pentac 8/2.9 that came to me on a Marion (Kershaw) reflex 4x5, so they will fit a similar camera if the front of the lens fits. It's not a very good lens, you would do better I think with a 3.5 Xenar or something.