PDA

View Full Version : View Camera magazine

Noah B
21-Apr-2013, 17:24
I recently found out I have access to a library of View Camera magazines dating from 1994 up to 2011. These are complete and have every issue. Before I go crazy and start reading every issue, I was curious if any of you gents could recommend specific issues from these dates. I'm planning on looking through all of them, but I'd like to get to some of the best ones first. Thanks!

jnantz
21-Apr-2013, 17:49
for me the best issue was the one that featured zoe zimmerman ( early 2000s ? ) ...
i had a subscription for maybe 4 years and none of the issues compared to that one ...

happy trails
john

Peter Lewin
21-Apr-2013, 18:26
Honestly I think that you are asking an unanswerable question. Most of the issues are somewhat thematic, e.g. Portraiture, landscapes, and so on. Also, some issues deal with specific technical issues, such as lenses, scanners, and so on. If you could specify some of your own interests, you may receive more useful feedback.

Noah B
21-Apr-2013, 21:03
Peter, I'm interested in technical stuff mainly, a little of the themed topics. I don't know much about the magazine and just came across it in the past few weeks.

Larry Gebhardt
22-Apr-2013, 04:08
The least useful will be the issues that cover digital equipment from the 90's. Or maybe not, as it's helpful to see just how little you got for so much money back then. Makes it easier to not buy the latest and greatest digital hardware unless you really need it now.

BrianShaw
22-Apr-2013, 06:21
you should find plenty of interesting material in that collection! The best approach might be to start flipping through them and marke the articles that are of interest wit a Post-it or something similar. I don't have space or interest in storing magazines anymore so I do similar, but rip out the articles I'm interested in and store them until read... then into the recycle bin they go.

Steve Goldstein
22-Apr-2013, 06:55
What Brian said (paraphrased) - Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. You'll find things of interest here and there, read/copy/mark/note them as you go.

Tillman Crane wrote a great series of articles over a period of several years. I believe they were in the early 90s but can't pinpoint them beyond that, so they may or may not be in the issues to which you have access. My recollection is they were roughly a (very condensed but well-written) combination of The Camera, The Negative, and The Print. Reading them again is on my rainy day to-do list.

rdenney
22-Apr-2013, 09:54
you should find plenty of interesting material in that collection! The best approach might be to start flipping through them and marke the articles that are of interest wit a Post-it or something similar.

Yup. (Though I didn't quote the part of your message that filled me with horror.) There are only six issues a year, and none are long. I was able to flip through ten years' worth in a couple of hours, marking the articles that demanded further study.

Of particular note for those who like equipment are Kerry Thalmann's articles on lenses, and for those who are into processing are Sandy King's articles on staining and tanning developers. But there are many others.

Rick "who bought issues on the bookstand in the 90's and threw them away after reading--a terrible mistake" Denney

BrianShaw
22-Apr-2013, 10:19
(Though I didn't quote the part of your message that filled me with horror.)

Here's horror: I threw out nearly a complete collection about two years ago becuase storage was an issue (really, it was my wife's perception that storage was an issue) and all went to the recycle bin because I did not have the forsight to realize that folks might be interested in them. What was I thinking? If you need a jumpstart about now... there is a defibrillaor nearby and I can try emailing a jolt to you!

BrianShaw
22-Apr-2013, 10:21
p.s. I managed to save the couple of issues that you mentioned. Fantastic articles!

Kirk Gittings
22-Apr-2013, 11:10
You will also find many articles by or about some of the people on this forum which may be interesting to you-providing some background on members here.

rdenney
22-Apr-2013, 17:08
Here's horror: I threw out nearly a complete collection about two years ago becuase storage was an issue (really, it was my wife's perception that storage was an issue) and all went to the recycle bin because I did not have the forsight to realize that folks might be interested in them. What was I thinking? If you need a jumpstart about now... there is a defibrillaor nearby and I can try emailing a jolt to you!

The Horror! The Horror...Movie!

Rick "bonus points for naming the source of that" Denney

Noah B
24-Apr-2013, 20:21
Kirk - I saw an issue with an article you wrote, I think it was about New Mexico. I also saw a lot of familiar names in some of the issues which was exciting.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, looking forward to lots of reading!

Kirk Gittings
24-Apr-2013, 20:27
Noah, Lots of good contributions by many people here. Frankly I don't think my articles are the best of the lot, but they are worth a glance. I can't remember. I may have 4 or 5.

dsphotog
24-Apr-2013, 20:37

Apocalypse...Now...
DS-Errand-boy...sent-by-grocery-clerks!-Photog

Eric Rose
24-Apr-2013, 20:37

Apocalypse Now

And for extra bonus points here's a video clip: http://youtu.be/aNUr__-VZeQ

rdenney
24-Apr-2013, 21:03
Apocalypse Now

Wrong.

It was from Porklips Now! A harrowing short movie about a suburban meat store worker who was dispatched by his fellow butchers to...dispatch Mad Man Mertz, who ran a butcher shop in Chinatown selling pork lips for 7 cents a pound.

"I knew we were close. Waaaay closer than before."

Rick "an admirer of Ernie Fosselius short movies" Denney

mdm
25-Apr-2013, 01:21
Actually, its a quote from Joseph Conrad's 'The Heart of Darkness'
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=the+horror+the+horror&aq=0&oq=The+horror+the+horror&aqs=chrome.0.0l4j62l2.9638j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

rdenney
25-Apr-2013, 14:43
Actually, its a quote from Joseph Conrad's 'The Heart of Darkness'
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=the+horror+the+horror&aq=0&oq=The+horror+the+horror&aqs=chrome.0.0l4j62l2.9638j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You mean Conrad's Kurtz said "the horror...movie"?

Rick "who hasn't read it since high school" Denney

Merg Ross
25-Apr-2013, 19:04
You will also find many articles by or about some of the people on this forum which may be interesting to you-providing some background on members here.

That was also my initial thought. In addition to yourself, let me add Jim Galli, Sandy King, and Eric Biggerstaff.

Rick, on the subject of Joseph Conrad, we read "Heart of Darkness" at the same point on our path to maturity. Terrific author!

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2013, 19:07
Wasn't there an article or two on you too Merg?

Merg Ross
25-Apr-2013, 20:17
Wasn't there an article or two on you too Merg?

Hi Kirk,

Yes, I had my 15 minutes of fame around 2006! Eric did a nice job writing the biography.

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2013, 20:47
He's good-he wrote a piece on me for an online magazine a few years ago that I am very find of.