PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this "old" Elwood 8x10 enlarger?

ataim
20-Apr-2013, 15:43
I got this enlarger from Langham for FREE! This afternoon I took about two hours taking it apart and cleaning off the old paint (best that I could with a scrub brush). My end use is to use it, not to make it a museum piece. I will have the gear plates sand blasted to remove surface rust..

Mark Sawyer
20-Apr-2013, 16:41
I voted "paint it black" because that's what every Elwood I've ever seen (including mine) was originally painted. Well, that and the Rolling Stones song... :) Are you sure the green paint was original?

Did it still have the opaline glass diffuser intact?

If the sand blasting is too involved/expensive, Rustoleum has spraypaints that stabilize rust fairly well.

ic-racer
20-Apr-2013, 18:00
It looks worth restoring no matter how you end up painting it. Here are some before and after pictures of my 8x10 enlarger.

]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/bellows.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/rust.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/DSCF3578.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/DSCF4798.jpg

Jim Jones
20-Apr-2013, 18:39
The 5x7 Elwood I used for several years was grey. I believe most of the metal parts of another 5x7 and an 8x10 are also grey. I can look at what's left of them tomorrow. The 8x10 was last used as a sign for a camera store until weather and a flood nearly destroyed it.

Kimberly Anderson
20-Apr-2013, 18:40
All of the Elwood's I've ever seen are gunmetal grey. Paint it grey and use it.

John Kasaian
20-Apr-2013, 22:59
Mine is gray. Just use it.

John Kasaian
20-Apr-2013, 23:02
If the springs are shot, springs for the Omega D2 fit right into the original housings---light wieght than the originals, but they work.

John Kasaian
20-Apr-2013, 23:04
The Elwoods are coming! The Elwoods are coming!:rolleyes:

Tin Can
20-Apr-2013, 23:13
What has started?

My new to me 5X7 wall hung Elwood is OE light blue/grey and needs no repainting.

I contacted the seller, and my reducing cone is on the way.

It was forgotten, by the son in packing.

Now what exactly would be good to reduce...?

Tin Can
20-Apr-2013, 23:15
Good for you, many of us did know of it. If only it had been 500 miles closer...

I got this enlarger from Langham for FREE! This afternoon I took about two hours taking it apart and cleaning off the old paint (best that I could with a scrub brush). My end use is to use it, not to make it a museum piece. I will have the gear plates sand blasted to remove surface rust..

Mark Sawyer
20-Apr-2013, 23:59

Sorry Paul, but your timer will have to be named Jake. :)

John Kasaian
21-Apr-2013, 08:11
I think it's pretty neat that there is so much interest in Elwoods here of late.
Of course it could be that Elwood Pattern Works was a "mother ship"
and Elwoods are actually an invading force of space aliens who have
been "sleeping" until the time was "right" for 8x10 and 5x7 intergalactic domination, lol!

John Kasaian
21-Apr-2013, 08:15
What needs to be determined is, if that green paint was an original Elwood color. We know that black and gray were more common, but green, man, this could be the most significant archeological discovery of Elwoodian proportions in the 21st century!

Tin Can
21-Apr-2013, 10:42
Improper preservation for eternity demands powder coating and titanium bellows. My Jake's plastic knobs will need to be replicated in platinum, for better mass and inertia control.

I am petitioning for a Kickstarter for all existing Elwood preservation. Please join. If we meet the stretch goal, we plan to reopen the factory.

This is my goal in $100 bills.

Roger Thoms
21-Apr-2013, 10:47
Might look nice polished and chrome plated. :D Actually voted for black paint.

Roger

dsphotog
21-Apr-2013, 13:02
Unrestored...
Patina-patina-patina

John Kasaian
21-Apr-2013, 16:20
If you do paint it, use engine block enamel.