PDA

View Full Version : DIY mounting station for drum scanner... anyone?

mortensen
19-Apr-2013, 03:24
My 20 year old Scanmate4000 is now up and running, but finding a mounting station to wet mount is difficult...

Has any of you made your own mounting stations? I have access to a laser cutter at work and plan on cutting acrylic frames and assemble a mounting station (heavily) inspired by the Aztec - but with fewer movable parts and joints. My problem is finding platen rollers and small rubber wheels. I will upload pictures of a sketch design soon.

But please share your thoughts, prototypes and working DIY mounting stations.

Noah A
19-Apr-2013, 05:27
Glad to hear that your scanner is up and running. Sorry I don't have specific advice, but you might ask this question at the Scan Hi-End yahoo group if you haven't already. Or just poke around over there, I seem to remember someone mentioning a source for replacement rollers, but that was a few years ago.

mortensen
19-Apr-2013, 05:54
I have searched over there, but did not find anything... maybe because of insufficient patience :)
(I wish it was a forum instead of a yahoo group; such a bad platform!)

I assume the rollers are crucial to the wet mounting process in order to add even pressure... if you can take a good photo of your mounting station it will be great to see.

Noah A
19-Apr-2013, 06:31
Unfortunately my mounting station (and scanner) are a few hundred miles away--I recently moved to Ohio for my wife's job and a few things haven't made the move yet, including my scanner (since I didn't want to pack it in the back of a bumpy moving truck). I do need to get it soon though, so I might be able to do a photo in a few weeks if no one else posts one.

I know what you mean about the yahoo group. I gave up on it, and in fact I was going to try to find the post for you about the rollers but I couldn't even manage to find it and I also got frustrated and gave up.

If you search for silicone rollers, lots of manufacturers pop up. So you might just need to contact a few to see if they sell them individually or just to high-volume buyers. Aztek is really helpful too, you might just ask them about buying a replacement roller. They've sold me replacement parts for my scanner even though I bought the scanner elsewhere. They might not be the cheapest option though.

vinny
19-Apr-2013, 07:13
I have a screen drum mounting station listed in the classifieds if that helps, not sure if it'd work for you. It's a pretty simple design and not nearly as easy to use as the Aztek I've seen used.

mortensen
19-Apr-2013, 14:23
THANKS for the silicon roller tip! amazon sells them as individual spare parts for printers. GREAT! :)

and thanks, Vinny - a picture in your ad and a some dimensions on the drums that fit would help... shipping from the US to Denmark (with customs) would make it a lot more than $200, though

mortensen
20-Apr-2013, 09:47
A couple of screencaps from sketchup of the wip-design of a mounting station for scanmate drums.
lasercut plywood, a sheet of plexi (etched), 4 threaded ø30 rubber wheels (if anyone sells anything close to those specs...) and a silicone pressure roller (spare part for printers).

mob81
20-Sep-2013, 09:25
I'll post one (scanmate drum mount station) on the classified soon...I bought it few month back but never opened!

Sideshow Bob
21-Sep-2013, 09:40
If you plan on making this you should design it so that the metal end of the drum is on the right or you will have problems mounting. I have a couple of DMS's that I can send photos of if you still need them.
Mr.Gale

A couple of screencaps from sketchup of the wip-design of a mounting station for scanmate drums.
lasercut plywood, a sheet of plexi (etched), 4 threaded ø30 rubber wheels (if anyone sells anything close to those specs...) and a silicone pressure roller (spare part for printers).

mortensen
21-Sep-2013, 13:22
Hi Bob - I did build this, or at least a DIY mounting station very close to the design above. I'm left-handed, hence the orientation of the drum :)
See photos:

3mm lasercut HDF in 'doubles', which were glued together afterwards (the laser cutter could not cut 6mm), 5mm plexi, 6mm threaded steel rod with screws, lasercut wheels and bolts. I've put tape on the wheels and rod to prevent them from scratching the drum. The separate pressure thing is made from a 22mm wooden stick, laser cut HDF and pipe insulation. The whole thing works, but the alignment and built quality is of course inferior to the real thing. This mounting station is not a solid block...

mortensen
21-Sep-2013, 13:23
... one more:

mortensen
21-Sep-2013, 13:52
I'll post one (scanmate drum mount station) on the classified soon...I bought it few month back but never opened!

... where are you located? those things are big and heavy and probably don't want international shipping

mortensen
21-Sep-2013, 13:52
btw, If anyone want pdf/cad drawing, I can upload it

vinny
21-Sep-2013, 15:40
The foam insulation doesn't distort when applying adequate pressure on the mounted film? I'm curious why you wouldn't go with a hard rubber roller like the oem stations I've seen.

Sideshow Bob
21-Sep-2013, 18:26
The reason I said the metal ring should be on the right is because of the direction the drum spins. It will work both ways but mounting with the metal ring on the right the leading edge will be leading not following. :-)
Mr.Gale

P.S. If you haven't seen it, I do have a video on wet mounting using a ScanMate drum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHS5yiF4Mc

mortensen
22-Sep-2013, 00:41
@ Vinny: I would have gone for a rubber roller if I could get one for a reasonable amount of money - haven't yet found a place selling rubber pressure rollers that I could readily use. Having one custom made in Denmark is expensive. I looked into spare parts for office printers (rubber rollers), but I could not find one matching the length plus the have odd end joints. But please guide me if you know something! The foam does distort - but that seems to a 'good' thing, since it sort of eliminates the not perfectly precise alignment.

all in all, I have to try wet mounting some more times before I can tell, whether this system will work in the long run

@ bob, I see... or I think I see - this way, I mount the drum 'backwards'?

mob81
22-Sep-2013, 05:19
... where are you located? those things are big and heavy and probably don't want international shipping

I'm in Saudi Arabia! I received it from the US and shipping was not that expensive! And I haven't opened it yet! I hope it's fine though
Anyway, I'm still thinking as I might purchase a scanmate from ABC of Denmark after I have a space for it.

mortensen
22-Sep-2013, 08:04
I'm in Saudi Arabia! I received it from the US and shipping was not that expensive! And I haven't opened it yet! I hope it's fine though
Anyway, I'm still thinking as I might purchase a scanmate from ABC of Denmark after I have a space for it.

... please tell me when you list it (if you do). Could I persuade you to tell me where you bought it?

mob81
22-Sep-2013, 09:28
... please tell me when you list it (if you do). Could I persuade you to tell me where you bought it?

It was listed on ebay. I still don't know if it is the real deal or just a box full of crap :)

I bought it after ABC of Denmark told me they don't have one and it was difficult to find one. Then, I decided to postpone for unknown time.

I still can't decide how much will I sell it for! I don't know it's value know and I don't remember how much it cost me when I bought it :(

Any tips would be appreciated on how much would it usually go for

mortensen
23-Dec-2014, 15:01
... I guess I owe to tell you that - despite its numerous imperfections - I can routinely wet-mount 4 pieces of 4x5 film on this mounting station. It is not a pleasure, but it works. Still interested in the real thing, though.
Happy holidays, people!

Christopher Barrett
23-Dec-2014, 15:17
After years of sitting unused, the rubber roller on my Howtek mounting station dissolved into a gross mess. I couldn't find a replacement anywhere and wound up sourcing neoprene hose from McMaster Carr. It works ok but I don't think it's perfectly round and I get uneven pressure. I've been able to get 4x10's mounted ok by pulling the end of the acetate tight as I tape it down. I can't imagine I would have much success with 8x10's though and as I continue to scan more and more I'm considering ponying up for one of Aztek's new stations.

vinny
23-Dec-2014, 15:36
Chris,
The mounting station that comes with Screen scanners doesn't have rollers at all so consider yourself lucky! After the mylar is taped down, I take strips 1/2" tape and strectch the open areas around the film to remove bubbles, etc. My 8x10's may have 20 strips of tape but the mylar is flat.

kodagnome
14-Jan-2016, 21:54

Hoping I can take you up on this offer. Interested to know if you have had success using this DIY mounting station, would love to make one of my own.

Evgeniy
16-Aug-2018, 06:29

Please upload, if possible!

squiry
9-Feb-2021, 07:16
Hello, thansk for your ideas , i have a Howtek d4000 scanner without software and drum station , ifcat o was looking for a mountin station or have a cad file to cut with laser CNC...