PDA

View Full Version : Care to see my film changing tent I made?

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2004, 00:21
I uploaded some pics of a film changing tent that I made. Here is the link.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008NKP

Jay DeFehr
3-Jun-2004, 02:19
Hi Andy. Thanks for sharing the pics. Is the white plastic covering light proof?

Dave Moeller
3-Jun-2004, 04:05
I've been considering making a similar changing tent, and appreciate that you've shared this with us. The frame on yours looks just like the frame I was planning to make for mine. I'm interested to find out what fabric you used for the outer shell.

ronald moravec
3-Jun-2004, 05:17
What is the white material and where did you buy it?

Bob Wagner
3-Jun-2004, 05:29
I built a smaller one using fabric Joann's Fabric Store sells, called room darkening shade cloth, not very expensive. One problem I had is that the cloth seems to shed very small fibers, so wash it before use. Perhaps because the fabric has a plastic type feel to it the fibers seem to have a static charge that makes them very attractive to film holders.

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2004, 09:44
Hi guys! Yep, the white covering is light proof. I tested it in the worst situation. Direct sunlight hitting the tent with my arms inside unloading and loading a sheet of film. I took my sweet time doing it too. The material is the same stuff you use to darken your bedroom for people who work graveyard and sleep all day. It's kind of rubbery on one side. I bought it at a huge fabric store. I can't remember the name of the place. I'm sure you can find some at your local fabric store. Just ask for darkout material. I haven't tested it for water-proofness. If it were raining outside I would probably change film with the film tent in my camping tent. The blue tarp that I package the film tent in is water proof and I could put that over top.

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2004, 09:50
Thanks for the tip, Bob! I have been wiping the insides with a damp sponge and haven't noticed anything on my negatives as of yet. I know that when I am out in the bush I will have to be very anal about this.

Jon_2416
3-Jun-2004, 18:56
>I know that when I am out in the bush I will have to be very anal about this.

Hee hee... I thought you said something different in this sentence.... :)

Nice changing tent, great DIY.