PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Imagesetter Film?

Nick_3536
2-Jun-2004, 17:05
I was browsing a website and was forced to ask. What is infrared imagesetter film? Any chance it could be cut to size and used in camera?

ramin
3-Jun-2004, 07:59
Hello Nick. Would you share that link with us too please.

thnx

Nick_3536
3-Jun-2004, 08:15
the film in question (http://store.ultrafineonline.com/ulirinimfi.html)

a data sheet on what I think might be a similar film (http://www.mitsubishiimaging.com/ga/ga_text-03-00-04-00.html)

It seems thinner then sheet film.

Joakim Ahnfelt
3-Jun-2004, 13:24
If I'm not mistaken an imagesetter is used in a print shop. It is used to print text, colour separations etc on a film that is then used for exposing/making the printing plate. One for each colour, cyan, magenta, yellow and key (black). Since it builds up everyting on the film with a very large number of very small dots (2400 dots/inch for text to make the each letter nice and smooth) I don't think it can record continous tone. Infra red is probably what it uses to expose the film. Would it work in a camera? who knows. After reading about a coffee based developer for b&w film I'm ready for anything.

Nick_3536
3-Jun-2004, 14:04
I think that's basically right. This must be B&W and not colour. The film only records between 600nm and something over 900nm. From doing some reading it's designed to be used with a 780nm light source. Lith film is also high contrast and some are able to get continous tone from it. It's cheap. You get 100'x12" for less then 25 sheets of 4x5 IR film. Plus if it works it could be cut to much larger sizes then 4x5.

joe g
19-Aug-2004, 11:12
Imagesetters are large format exposure units that are used in the printing industry to out put tabloid (11X17 approx.) to broadsheet (17x22 approx.)pages for newspaper production. It is also used in the Job Printing industry for outputting varing sizes of film dependent on the press size.

The film is black and white film. In the traditional printing industry we out put each of the four colors on unique films.

Film Imagesetters have reached the end of thier developement because most pinters are going direct to press plate.

Most Imagesetter film is exposed using a few different types of lasers. Each film is developed for the specific laser.

Miss spellings are intentional and for your entertainment.

Joe

coisasdavida
26-Jun-2017, 17:38
First, I apologize for bringing up such an old topic, but recently I got a few rolls of Infrared Imagesetter film and decided to give it a try.

What I got is a local brand product, but probably a repackage of some sort.

Although very outdated, it unrolls to a flat film very easily and that got me excited.

In order to get into EI and developer, a cut a few strips of it and loaded into 120 spools and paper to make it more practical.
I shot a series of ten frames for each roll, from EI 100 to EI 0.18, using a red filter.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4287/35557863585_ba8cb19f14_c.jpg

First roll I developed in LC-1b, diluted 1:10, for 10 minutes @ 20C (left)
Second roll I developed in Dektol stock, for 5 minutes @ 20C (right)

Of course this is the EI 0.18 end of both rolls. EI 0.18 on the LC-1b roll looks very close to EI 3 on the Dektol roll.
I'm thinking about redoing the LC-1b roll with 1:5 dilution.