PDA

View Full Version : New to me Elwood 5X7 wall mount

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 13:17
I just won? this. I hope they can ship it without damage. They do have a good record of shipping big things...

I still want an Elwood 8x10, with the tilting J frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Elwood-Wall-photo-enlarger-large-negative-holder-/221211343758?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=sD4aTy8SuBpf9cnoD9gRwqDYffI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

redrockcoulee
15-Apr-2013, 17:15
I got a 5X7 Elwood but have yet to set it up, need to have more than a couple negatives to make it worthwhile. They are heavy

ic-racer
15-Apr-2013, 17:26
I just won? this. I hope they can ship it without damage. They do have a good record of shipping big things...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Elwood-Wall-photo-enlarger-large-negative-holder-/221211343758?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=sD4aTy8SuBpf9cnoD9gRwqDYffI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Looks really nice. You even got the lens cone for making reductions.
If you don't have the manual it is here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/elwood_1.html

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 17:36
I could not resist. I would have prefered an 8X10, but I am focusing on 5X7. Mostly since so few do, making things cheaper and everything is smaller. I saw an 8X10 like this for sale 4 years ago in the deep South. The ad was dead, no response.

Thanks for the manual link.

I appreciate it!

Looks really nice. You even got the lens cone for making reductions.
If you don't have the manual it is here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/elwood_1.html

Jody_S
15-Apr-2013, 21:22
People pay money for these? My first post on this forum (?) offered one for free. The offer is retracted, of course, since I obtained a supply of several hundred sheets of 5x7....

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 21:45
I really don't think that was much money in the grand scheme of things. Everyone here says they are free. I have spent much more on my film stash, which needs an enlarger or 6. They aren't making them anymore and I get real sad seeing them trashed. I think this one looks nice and shiny, that badge is very shiny...

I see you kept yours, please share the realities and installation images.

We are all pedaling as fast as we can.

People pay money for these? My first post on this forum (?) offered one for free. The offer is retracted, of course, since I obtained a supply of several hundred sheets of 5x7....

Jody_S
15-Apr-2013, 21:56
I see you kept yours, please share the realities and installation images.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.... I can take a picture of the closet I keep it in (in pieces), if you like. :confused:

John Kasaian
15-Apr-2013, 21:56
Elwoods will grow on you. I can't explain it. I really can't.

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 21:58
Do you have any pictures of yours or advice? The one I bought is obviously a wall mount. I think it's mostly aluminum.

I got a 5X7 Elwood but have yet to set it up, need to have more than a couple negatives to make it worthwhile. They are heavy

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 22:03
Elwoods will grow on you. I can't explain it. I really can't.

I saw a 8X10 Elwood in Detroit that just blew me away with it's beauty. I may not use the original dome light source, but if it all makes it here intact, including the diffusion plates, I am going to try it out. I even have one new correct light bulb I bought 8 months ago. How does that Johnny Cash song go, 'a piece at a time'?

John Kasaian
15-Apr-2013, 22:12
I saw a 8X10 Elwood in Detroit that just blew me away with it's beauty. I may not use the original dome light source, but if it all makes it here intact, including the diffusion plates, I am going to try it out. I even have one new correct light bulb I bought 8 months ago. How does that Johnny Cash song go, 'a piece at a time'?

Mine lost it's glass diffuser before it came to live with us---no problem! Just stop down the lens if you want to print more slowly. I've also experimented with making diffusing panels---it's a lot of fun. Elwoods invite that sort of experimentation. I've replaced the rusted & broken counter springs with Omegas. Again, no problem On the glass negative carrier I used anti glare picture glass as a substtute for anti Newton riing glass, and again----no problem. I eventually aquired an 8x10 of AN glass and even then, couldn't tell the difference.
not only that, it does warm up tortillas quite nicely.

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 22:13
Here is one I did not buy. I thought about it. I could have done local pickup, but it looked like trouble to me. 2 Elwoods sold in 24 hours. I bet this one becomes a lamp. There is a fancy restaurant here with Deardorff for decoration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elwood-Metal-and-wood-PICTURE-PHOTOGRAPH-Enlarger-ANTIQUE-WOODEN-TAG-/121092457497?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=sD4aTy8SuBpf9cnoD9gRwqDYffI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 22:21
I actually have a few extra pieces of AN glass, those came with something bigger...

Mine lost it's glass diffuser before it came to live with us---no problem! Just stop down the lens if you want to print more slowly. I've also experimented with making diffusing panels---it's a lot of fun. Elwoods invite that sort of experimentation. I've replaced the rusted & broken counter springs with Omegas. Again, no problem On the glass negative carrier I used anti glare picture glass as a substtute for anti Newton riing glass, and again----no problem. I eventually aquired an 8x10 of AN glass and even then, couldn't tell the difference.
not only that, it does warm up tortillas quite nicely.

Curt
15-Apr-2013, 23:18

Randy,

It looks like it's in great shape. From what I see it not all dented and bent up. The chrome in the head looks well preserved.
It should be easily cleaned on the paint. Since it's coming dissembled are you going to clean it up and restore the paint and metal surfaces? It sure will be nice to walk into the darkroom and use it. Is that a class carrier? Do you have a lens yet?

Curt

Tin Can
15-Apr-2013, 23:58
I have everything I need. I have a Kodak Enlarging Ektanon f4.5 10 inch that looks almost new. I also have a Rodagon f5.6 210 mm in VGC. I have AN glass for a carrier. I have a 5X7 Dichro head on the way, but I don't want to mount it on this.

I am going to wait and see about paint, I have found it is often a mistake to paint. The patina on this looks great in the photos. If the paint is flaking, I will consider matching OE. I don't need dusty paint flakes in the darkroom. The Elwood badge looks pretty darn good to me. I have noticed ebay pictures can often be deceiving in the wrong way. Often the camera is better than the close-ups show, not always but sometimes. I picked up a 2x3 Crown Graphic that did not sell and I forgot to bid on. I rechecked the photos and quickly made a deal for the best 2x3 I have.

I hope I do not need to space it very far off the wall, from the images it seems it may need some room.

While I am new to LF, I am not new to vintage and have been buying and using vintage for years. I like old stuff, motorcycles, cars, flapper girls, tube radios... all just for fun and usability. Old cameras work fine!

Chuck Pere
16-Apr-2013, 06:05
Looks like a nice clean SP-25. When they ship it they may want to remove the heat absorbing and diffusion glass and pack them separate. If you need a parts list PM me your email address.

I just saw an Aristo 12x12 head sell on Ebay for a $1000 buy it now. I can't believe that as the price seems way too high. A 5x7 Aristo would be great on your Elwood.

redrockcoulee
16-Apr-2013, 11:16
Do you have any pictures of yours or advice? The one I bought is obviously a wall mount. I think it's mostly aluminum.

No mine is tucked into the closet in my darkroom. It came with both a wall mount and a table mount. I obtained a manual for it somewhere on line. The drawings in the manual may help you more than photos

Tin Can
16-Apr-2013, 17:02
Update. It is shipped in 3 packages, FedEx Ground.

I have my fingers crossed for the dome and the diffusion plates.

Prayers are for people.

Uncle Jim
16-Apr-2013, 18:40
Randy,

I bought mine in 1964. Paid $25.00 for it. I needed to make new diffusion glasses for it when I got it out of storage in '85 from my folks house when I retired from the Army.
Put a new bulb and socket in it about 10 years ago. Still going like a champ. Oh yes, had to make a new baseboard for it when I got it out of storage. Mine is cast iron, and
HEAVY, but does a great job. I print 5 x 7 and 3 x 4 with it. You will love yours once you get used to it.

uncle jim

Tin Can
16-Apr-2013, 19:00
Thanks!

I was just stealing the flash mount off my 3X4 Press. Now I feel terrible and lazy, because I don't want to cut film...

I am going to see how I feel in the morning, I need a Press camera with working flashbulb gun this weekend.

Randy, with too many Press cameras

Randy,

I bought mine in 1964. Paid $25.00 for it. I needed to make new diffusion glasses for it when I got it out of storage in '85 from my folks house when I retired from the Army.
Put a new bulb and socket in it about 10 years ago. Still going like a champ. Oh yes, had to make a new baseboard for it when I got it out of storage. Mine is cast iron, and
HEAVY, but does a great job. I print 5 x 7 and 3 x 4 with it. You will love yours once you get used to it.

uncle jim

Tin Can
19-Apr-2013, 13:02
Mr Elwood just arrived, in three well packed UPS Ground boxes. All intact, even the correct enlarging bulb left installed. All glass plates and filter drawer glass survived. No dents. Good chrome. This will not require any restoration. The plastic knobs for the masking blades are weak, but so what. Five feet of American made geared rail, that would be handy for a big camera... Not going there. This baby is going on my wall, no painting needed, and easy to convert to an Omega Chromega E head that also came today. I will be able to use it either way. and the Chromega came with gorgeous 5X7 and 6X17 carriers.

They forgot the non-essential reducing cone, and I will check on that, but really, how often would I reduce?

Now where is my Elwood 8X10. I know he is out there, maybe sleeping in a garage...

I am glad I bought this junk!

I don't want to go out, as my lucky day just happened.

ic-racer
19-Apr-2013, 14:37
You found a Chromega E, that is a nice head!

Tin Can
19-Apr-2013, 14:39
Yes it is and in good condition.

You found a Chromega E, that is a nice head!

premortho
20-Apr-2013, 07:51
Wow, Randy, that's a beauty! I'm still using my Solar 5X7 enlarger that I bought used in the 1960's. Mine is also a diffusion enlarger, like this Elwood. They work great, and the knobs and fittings are big enough for my sausage-like fingers.

John Kasaian
20-Apr-2013, 08:00
Congrats!

Tin Can
23-Apr-2013, 10:34
I am getting ready to mount the Elwood to the wall. I can't decide on height. Since the lens center to rail/rack is 10-1/2 inches, it would seem 20X24 enlargements are the limit.

Any advice on rail mounting? It is 60' long/tall, my ceiling is 132". Obviously somewhere in the middle...

Thanks!

redrockcoulee
23-Apr-2013, 11:25
I am getting ready to mount the Elwood to the wall. I can't decide on height. Since the lens center to rail/rack is 10-1/2 inches, it would seem 20X24 enlargements are the limit.

Any advice on rail mounting? It is 60' long/tall, my ceiling is 132". Obviously somewhere in the middle...

Thanks!

WE may have left the old imperial system behind us in Canada but I just do not think you will be able to get a 60 foot long rail mount into a 132 inch room :)

Please post a photo of your final setup. This thread is making me serious consider making room for my 5X7 to be setup as it does take up most of the closet

Tin Can
23-Apr-2013, 11:35
Pictures may be a while. I can resize the 60 foot rail with mirrors and a lens!

I think I will mount the whole thing on 3/4" x 12" x 60" plywood I have. Then put one super heavy duty wall anchor at the top, to make it easy to make level in all dimensions. A couple screws at the bottom to fix the position.

Once on the wall it will not take up any room, and I am running out of space here...Maybe a wall mounted drop table, or just a folding table.

I suppose I could use some sort of garage wall hardware and make the whole thing adjustable. It is not heavy.

WE may have left the old imperial system behind us in Canada but I just do not think you will be able to get a 60 foot long rail mount into a 132 inch room :)

Please post a photo of your final setup. This thread is making me serious consider making room for my 5X7 to be setup as it does take up most of the closet

Richard Rau
1-May-2013, 22:02

This is my floor/wall mount solution for my 8x10. Metal shelf from Home Depot bolted to concrete wall with a 1" wood mount board bolted to it.
It works for me. Hope this helps.

Tin Can
1-May-2013, 22:22
Richard, thanks for the images. My head is the same, but my rail mounts to a wall with five 6" mounts. I don't have the J frame. I put it away for awhile. Summer just happened here and we are busy running around in the sun dodging bullets. Chicago hunting season.

Too many projects.

Thanks!

2Dogs
23-May-2013, 19:46
Four pics are attached of the two 8x10 Elwoods. The assembled one has an 8x10 and a 4x5 carrier, and a metal base. The disassembled one has the 8x10 neg carrier, dark slides to control the light from the reflector and is on a small wooden base with wheels.Both tilt. The disassembled one was too tall for the basement corner it is stored in. Bulbs are in the reflectors and I think I have at least one extra.

Tin Can
23-May-2013, 19:55
Looks like it has been a long time since those were used.

Kinda hard to even tell the condition.

Do you have lensboards? Tilting base?

Four pics are attached of the two 8x10 Elwoods. The assembled one has an 8x10 and a 4x5 carrier, and a metal base. The disassembled one has the 8x10 neg carrier, dark slides to control the light from the reflector and is on a small wooden base with wheels.Both tilt. The disassembled one was too tall for the basement corner it is stored in. Bulbs are in the reflectors and I think I have at least one extra.

Tin Can
27-May-2013, 23:26
I just got home. 700 miles round trip. 16 hours and I have now all the Elwoods anyone could want. 3 in the van will have to wait till morning for unloading.

I hope they don't get recycled right out of my van by then.

Big storms may stop that.

I am exhausted.

Thank you 2dogs!

Looks like it has been a long time since those were used.

Kinda hard to even tell the condition.

Do you have lensboards? Tilting base?

Tin Can
21-Oct-2013, 19:22
I never posted it mounted on the wall, very nice setup. I have 3 enlargers in the space of 1. A 5x7 and 8x10 Elwood with a Beseler 23CII that can be slid out of the way. The 5x7 Elwood doubles as a copy stand with the Polaroid MP3 base under it, using the plug in copy lights.

AuditorOne
21-Oct-2013, 21:50
Wow. Great stuff. I have a very nice Elwood 8x10 that I picked up recently but am just beginning to evaluate what it will take to get it set up in my darkroom. All your pictures have certainly given me some ideas to chew on.

Tin Can
21-Oct-2013, 22:04
I look forward to images of your Elwood!

Wow. Great stuff. I have a very nice Elwood 8x10 that I picked up recently but am just beginning to evaluate what it will take to get it set up in my darkroom. All your pictures have certainly given me some ideas to chew on.

winterclock
27-Oct-2013, 13:58
Geodesic Aerolite?

Tin Can
27-Oct-2013, 14:02
15 year old Whitehall Junior. I never skinned it, I like it just like it is.

Good eye!

Geodesic Aerolite?

winterclock
27-Oct-2013, 15:38
Sweet, I suppose most of those reading wonder what we're talking about.

Tin Can
27-Oct-2013, 15:41
Now I want to build another, it was fun. Bigger this time.

This is for the lurkers.

http://www.gaboats.com/

Sweet, I suppose most of those reading wonder what we're talking about.