PDA

View Full Version : Small shutter for brass Petzval

T.G.
15-Apr-2013, 07:22
How could/would I rig a small shutter to a brass petzval-style lens for use in a camera with little room to play with inside? No room for a packard.

jp
15-Apr-2013, 07:57
Depends on how big the rear of the lens is. Tell us. You can put a packard on front.. You can use an ilex 5 or compound 5 shutter or if it's small enough a copal 3 / 3s.

Louis Pacilla
15-Apr-2013, 07:59
Try a front mounted shutter.

Here's a couple of examples. one is a LUC shutter and the other is a of course a Packard. There several ways to skin this cat. This is just a two .

T.G.
15-Apr-2013, 08:16
It is a Holmes Booth & Haydens half plate lens and the rear most barrel that extends past the flange is 2.25" outer diameter.

T.G.
15-Apr-2013, 08:17
Louis, that LUC shutter looks interesting. Thanks for the images.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2013, 10:37
Another style of front mounted shutter is the T-P mahogany curtain shutter which is easily rennovated for reliable use.

Pete Watkins
15-Apr-2013, 11:05
If you glued a 62 (?) mm srep up ring to the front of the lens you could screw a Copal 3 to the front of the lens.
Pete.

T.G.
15-Apr-2013, 11:34
Thanks so much for the help. Although, apparently I did not do enough research. I am wanting to rebuild an old graflex 4x5 SLR, and did not realize it possess a shutter within. I have been too engulfed in LF.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2013, 14:30
Of course - if you can get the shutter to work!

premortho
15-Apr-2013, 16:24
There is a problem with Graphlex shutters? I've had 3 of them with focal plane shutter, and they all worked. I did have to re-screw the plate for tension on one of them, but I don't consider that much of a repair.

Jody_S
15-Apr-2013, 21:44
Thanks so much for the help. Although, apparently I did not do enough research. I am wanting to rebuild an old graflex 4x5 SLR, and did not realize it possess a shutter within. I have been too engulfed in LF.

All the help you need with this will be found at graflex.org, on the Help forum. I have a 5x7 Graflex project going myself, that some inconsiderate person ripped the shutter curtain out of. Otherwise intact, complete with the Cooke lens.

premortho
16-Apr-2013, 07:36
Jody-you lucky dog-a home portrait Graflex?

Jody_S
16-Apr-2013, 08:06
Jody-you lucky dog-a home portrait Graflex?

I believe it's a Press, I think I dated it to around 1910-14. No 'RB' rotating back, sadly, and it came with the roll film holder so I have to mickey-mouse a back of some sort. I'll be starting my replacement curtains soon, I hope to have it up and running in a few weeks.

IanG
16-Apr-2013, 08:31
Another style of front mounted shutter is the T-P mahogany curtain shutter which is easily rennovated for reliable use.

I've never seen one with a "mahogany curtain" :D

These T-P shutters roller blind shutters are ideal for brass lenses, there's a few variations - some are designed for front mounting on the lens - these are the originals, then they made Between Lens versions which go betweek the lens and camera lens board - some have interchangeable fronts to allow use of different lenses. Most have shutter speed control either by the number of turns of the tensioning spring or a dial but there's also a Snapshot type which may or maynot have a speed dial but has no T (Time function) so can't be used as easily for longer exposures.

There's also a variety of sizes, some will fit quite large Darlot/Petzval lenses but these larger ones are rarer, I restored one two years ago for a wet plate worker so she could use her Darlot with films as well.

As Steven says they can be restored quite easily, even badly smashed examples . . . . . . . Helps to have a supply of spares though. :)

Sometime soon I'll write an illustrated article on these shutters, I have plenty of them.

I'm working on a solenoid operated Norka type studio shutter.

Ian

Steven Tribe
16-Apr-2013, 11:11
Something like this would be useful (I certainly hope it can be made to work reliably on mine!). Almost 4" across the opening.

IanG
16-Apr-2013, 12:14
Something like this would be useful (I certain hope it can be made to work reliably on mine!). Almost 4" across the opening.

I think I've had TP shutters off the same seller :D some things anyway.

Your new shutter's a touch better than some as it's rollers run in metal not wood, (so potentially smoother) I have one very similar in size (&type) which came from someone on this website from Chile, works very well. I owe you a favour or two PM me the width of the curtain etc and your address :)

Ian

Steven Tribe
16-Apr-2013, 13:12
It is nice with this seller who is always realistic about his price setting and always uses "best offer" for something he is doubt about. He also looked through his stock for someone else who was after a particular book plate holder. Realistic pricing is getting to be something of an exception!
Will contact when it has arrived. It is a nice bit bigger than the 2 Zettor shutters I have.

Steven Tribe
18-Apr-2013, 01:06
Just a follow-up of the last post, as postal service from the UK are just 2 days at the moment!
Fits a 3B one side and a Objectif d'Artiste on the other (internal ring).
Works as new and curtain is in good condition!

IanG
18-Apr-2013, 05:24
That's lucky Steven :D I've only had two or three shutters that worked on arrival and two of those came yesterday from Miguel in Paris along with a Focal Plane TP shutter.

I'm not sure what make that is but it's identical to mine except yours has had a custom panel fitted on the front. These are unusual as they are tapped on the release arm to accept a cable release (someting I often do on other shutters) and did't use an air bulb or piston as the shutter release. Makes me think these were quite late in terms of front mounted roller blind shutter.

It always amazes me how some sellers assume all these shutter were made in the 1890, in fact Kodak Ltd were still selling TP shutters during WWII and they were still made up until about 1960 on a small scale long after the company had closed.

There seem to be a few unknown makes, I have 3 I can't find details for, all now working well though.

Ian

Steven Tribe
18-Apr-2013, 09:24
It doesn't seem to have a heavy rubberised surface on the curtain - so remains flexible.
Thanks for the tip about the thread - I was thinking "how do I install a rubber bulb there?".
The seller must have moved the arm between the 2 positions without noticing the notches and dual function.