PDA

View Full Version : Leather Handles

Annie M.
1-Jun-2004, 21:45
Just wondering if anyone knows of a supplier for manufactured leather handles. I would like to find one for my 7x11 2D.... I think 20 cm should be about right.

Thanks, Annie

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2004, 22:53
Annie,

If you can make a pattern, it might be worthwhile to have either a saddle maker or shoe repair shop make you one if the usual sources(Midwest Photo, Equinox, Igor, etc...) don't have one in stock. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Conrad Hoffman
1-Jun-2004, 23:15
Not sure if they'd supply just one, but you might talk them out of a sample-

http://www.specialty-hardware.com/

Or go the custom route.

Bill Jefferson
2-Jun-2004, 03:10
I've cut handles out of men's leather belts. just a thought

Annie M.
2-Jun-2004, 08:38
Looks as if custom is the way to go, thanks for the suggestions. I'd make it myself but I am still traumatized from my childhood wallet-making experience at summer camp....cheers.

John Cook
2-Jun-2004, 09:14
If you want something small and “kissey” you might adapt a leather watchband from here:

http://www.thewatchprince.com/category/c.leather

If, on the other hand, you would rather have something larger and more rugged, may I suggest these:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?SID=7181D0EDFF&ccurrency=2&page=40643&category=3,41427,41377

Annie M.
2-Jun-2004, 09:28
John,

The Lee Valley handle is exactly what I was hoping to find.... (no kissey stuff for me... I perfer the rugged look) Thanks!

Bob Fowler
2-Jun-2004, 12:11
I bought a leather guitar case handle at a local music store for my Eastman #2. It's more comfortable and has a lot more "meat" than a flat leather handle.

Paul Metcalf
2-Jun-2004, 12:34
Ann- John Cook is one of the most helpful people on this forum. His ideas are usually "spot on" and obviously come from his years of experience vice opinion. I always look for any answers he contributes for good ideas. I looked at similar handles from Rockler (rockler.com) and was sold on them until I looked at the hardware needed to hold the handle to the camera. The brackets are much too wide for my Conley 5x7 and 8x10 field cameras that I rebuilt, so I ultimately ended up making one myself, with lace trim and all. Before buying the handle, make sure the brackets will fit on your camera (most likely the top of the rear standard frame). If it does, I'd go for these as they are "beefy," stain real easy, and are rock solid.

Annie M.
2-Jun-2004, 13:35
Seems to me that most leather comes from cows...... so wouldn't that mean that all such handles are inherently 'beefy'? :)

Cheers & thanks, Annie

Brian Ellis
2-Jun-2004, 17:36
A shoe repair store, which is where I had a strap for a Deardorff made, most likely will require a template or pattern but if you have one that's probably your best bet. I had a strap made for a Deardorff camera that way.

Thanks for reminding me about making wallets in summer camp. I laughed out loud when I read that, it's been years since I thought about the misery of trying to make a wallet in summer camp. I remember that the one I made looked like two square pancakes loosely joined at one end with that multi-colored plastic stringy stuff that was supposed to decorate the edges of the wallet if you could make something that resembled a wallet, which I couldn't. I wonder if they still force kids to do that in summer camp, probably not, the camp might get sued.

Hans Berkhout
2-Jun-2004, 21:27
I had to knit a wallet in Kindergarten, must be about 58 years ago. Still remember the wool, had all colours of the rainbow. Next please..back to the leather handles.