PDA

View Full Version : Help! In need of 5mm diameter solid nylon 66 or Delrin tubing!

Bruce B
14-Apr-2013, 16:50
For slide bearings on an Arca Swiss 4x5.

I live in the US and nobody here makes anything in metric sizes. UK dealers won't sell to the US. A hobbie shop in Australia won't answer my emails. Companies in Canada only make nylon rod to be machined to 5mm. I have Dodd Camera in Cleveland, which sells Arca Swiss, working on prying answers out of Arca, to no avail. AliBaba wants to know how many tons I'd like to buy.

Would some member in Europe, Canada, or Australia buy about 150mm of white solid nylon 6 or 66 tubing of 5mm diameter and post it to me? You might even get 150mm for free as a sample. I'd be more than happy to pay for postage and purchase and throw in US 10 on top.

Thank you,
BAB

Bernice Loui
14-Apr-2013, 20:06
3/16" is pretty close to 5mm.

3/16" = 0.1875"

5mm = 0.1960"

Given variations and specification limits for materials, 3/16" should be withing adjustment range of the gibs.

3/16" Nylon rod should be easy to find locally, if not try Mc Master Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-nylon-rods/=mbq39p

Bernice

For slide bearings on an Arca Swiss 4x5.

I live in the US and nobody here makes anything in metric sizes. UK dealers won't sell to the US. A hobbie shop in Australia won't answer my emails. Companies in Canada only make nylon rod to be machined to 5mm. I have Dodd Camera in Cleveland, which sells Arca Swiss, working on prying answers out of Arca, to no avail. AliBaba wants to know how many tons I'd like to buy.

Would some member in Europe, Canada, or Australia buy about 150mm of white solid nylon 6 or 66 tubing of 5mm diameter and post it to me? You might even get 150mm for free as a sample. I'd be more than happy to pay for postage and purchase and throw in US 10 on top.

Thank you,
BAB

Jac@stafford.net
14-Apr-2013, 20:11
5mm is 3/16 Inch

Quite a common size regardless of the metric you use.

Google "nylon rod 3/8 inch" and you will find hundreds of US suppliers.

Here - knock yourself out. (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rod-Stock-2XNZ8)

48 cents a foot.

Or go to Ace Hardware's models' parts section.

Leigh
14-Apr-2013, 21:01
What's your tolerance on the diameter?

3/16" Delrin +.005" tolerance works out to 4.89mm.

Available in white at $0.50/foot or in black at $0.53/foot from McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-acetal-homopolymer-rods/=mbqsnh

It would help a whole lot if you'd put your location in your profile.

- Leigh

Leigh
14-Apr-2013, 21:09
Why did you post duplicate threads?

Very bad manners.

- Leigh

rdenney
14-Apr-2013, 23:16
Why did you post duplicate threads?

Very bad manners.

- Leigh

Probably just an accident. I merged the two threads.

Rick "noting that people sometimes expect things to happen more quickly than they do" Denney

Bruce B
15-Apr-2013, 04:18
Because the thickest diameter on the current slides is 5mm and the slides are slightly out of round, the narrower being less than 5mm. There's already a bit of wobble and I have the adjustment bottomed out. Why would I want to substitute a smaller diameter?

Thanks though, to everyone who responded.

Leigh, I live in Maine, but what diff would that make?

bab

Bob Salomon
15-Apr-2013, 04:26
Why not contact Bob Watkins at Precision Camera?

Leigh
15-Apr-2013, 08:57
Because...
#1 - it's polite, and
#2 - people may know of local businesses that are not active on the 'net. I know of one such here in Maryland. It makes no sense to waste time and clutter up the thread suggesting same when the likelihood of you doing business with them is quite low.

- Leigh

Ed Bray
15-Apr-2013, 09:13
If you a still stuck for the Nylon Rod, I'll send it over to you.

evan clarke
15-Apr-2013, 09:35
It's awfully easy to turn, do you know somebody with a machinist's lathe?

rdenney
15-Apr-2013, 09:55

Well, if you live where McMaster doesn't ship (e.g., Asia), then people might not suggest it.

Rick "it is not required, but sometimes it helps" Denney

Leigh
15-Apr-2013, 10:03
It's awfully easy to turn...
Perhaps... perhaps not. That's why I asked about the tolerance (question still not answered).

I am a machinist, and I work Delrin frequently. It's easy to cut, but not easy to hold tolerance on a small-diameter rod.

- Leigh

Bruce B
15-Apr-2013, 16:55
Thank you, Ed. I'll send you a private message with my mailing address. Kindly add your return address and I'll reimburse you as mentioned earlier. I appreciate this very much.
Bruce B

Bruce B
15-Apr-2013, 17:26
The thread starter clearly states I live in the U.S. Any reference to local suppliers could be accessed from any in the country, I'm assuming.

Speaking of politeness, how about an apology for castigating me for something I didn't do.

Bruce B

Because...
#1 - it's polite, and
#2 - people may know of local businesses that are not active on the 'net. I know of one such here in Maryland. It makes no sense to waste time and clutter up the thread suggesting same when the likelihood of you doing business with them is quite low.

- Leigh

Bruce B
15-Apr-2013, 17:28
No I sure don't, Evan. I was hoping to find the right size, or similar. Bernice might be right about 3/16", but I'd like to start with something a bit thicker if I can find it.

Bruce B

Bruce B
15-Apr-2013, 17:29
Very true, Denney :). But the opening line in the thread states I live in the U.S. Cheers, Bruce B

Bruce B
15-Apr-2013, 17:32
I'm not really sure, Leigh, about the tolerances. All I have to go in is an exploded diagram listing parts numbers from Arca Swiss. Tolerances aren't listed. I suspect I could measure the narrower diameter of the old nylon/Delrin rods and see how much these have worn. Than might give me some idea -- maybe Bernice is right about 3/16". In the mean, I have an offer of 5mm rod from overseas. Thanks for the input though.

Bruce B

Perhaps... perhaps not. That's why I asked about the tolerance (question still not answered).

I am a machinist, and I work Delrin frequently. It's easy to cut, but not easy to hold tolerance on a small-diameter rod.

- Leigh