PDA

View Full Version : Type 55 again.

emmett
14-Apr-2013, 06:15
http://new55project.blogspot.com/

I'm getting excited about this, anyone else?

Nicolasllasera
14-Apr-2013, 07:15
Is it finally happening? Because the blog is kind of weird to understand. I have been waiting to buy a bunch of their product but I don't even know how or if its possible.

emmett
14-Apr-2013, 07:26
From what I'm understanding they are trying to get the clips made for a reasonable price. They made some packages available for 20.00 last month to a group of backers. Hopefully this will really happen and we can enjoy this supposedly better type 55 in the near future.

jcoldslabs
14-Apr-2013, 07:27
I believe they are hand assembling each sheet packet at this point and having a select group of people test them. The fact that they are seeking a supplier for clips in quantity is a good sign. I have sent them collections of my old Polaroid and QuickLoad/ReadyLoad clips in the past, and they were repurposing these for their own film packets. But as far as I know there is no large scale production of New55 film as yet.

Jonathan

Cletus
14-Apr-2013, 07:45
WOW! This is the first I've seen of this, thanks for posting Emmett!

I'm curious - this looks a little, but not quite, like a "Impossible Project" product. Is that what this is, or someone else working on this? Anybody know? I know for sure I'll be watching this to see how it develops :( pardon the pun...

jcoldslabs
14-Apr-2013, 18:09
Bob Crowley has no direct affiliation with TIP and has been working on this idea on his own for quite a while. He does share info and testing data with the 20x24 Studio (http://www.20x24studio.com/), I believe. From what I understand he is trying to make a high-quality product and not release a beta version for sale to the public the way the Impossible Project has done.

You can find a Flickr gallery of the New55 test images here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59980022@N05/show/).

J.

David R Munson
14-Apr-2013, 19:44
I'm getting excited about this, anyone else?

Excited enough I just bought another Polaroid back on eBay. Pretty sure I still have one somewhere but I haven't seen it in almost ten years, and I figure better safe than sorry, should this actually come to bear fruit!

EdSawyer
15-Apr-2013, 10:39
It would be great if he can finally get this off the ground, but I'm not holding my breath. ;-P

emmett
15-Apr-2013, 11:46
Same here but I'm kinda glad I still have my 545 holder, I was about to toss it a few months ago.

Degroto
11-Jul-2013, 00:29
I do believe Bob has contacts with the impossible project as wel. I hope he will succeed so I can start using this type of film as wel.

Mark_S
11-Jul-2013, 09:14
I don't know how similar the technology is between making the peel apart packages for type 55 and the readyload/quickload packages, but as long as we are dreaming about Type 55 - wouldn't it be be great if some third party could take standard 4x5 sheet film and package it in a readyload/quickload type package!

Scott Davis
11-Jul-2013, 09:42
If they can actually get this off the ground, I'd start shooting 4x5 again, seriously. Type 55 was the best thing Polaroid had going, and I loved the negatives it produced with their funky edges. I still have one pack of old Type 55 sitting around. Don't know if the packets will still be any good or not, but you can always pull the film without processing in the Polaroid goop and develop the film traditionally in a tank.

StoneNYC
19-Jul-2013, 00:08
WOW! This is the first I've seen of this, thanks for posting Emmett!

I'm curious - this looks a little, but not quite, like a "Impossible Project" product. Is that what this is, or someone else working on this? Anybody know? I know for sure I'll be watching this to see how it develops :( pardon the pun...

Read the FAQ

StoneNYC
19-Jul-2013, 00:10
From what I'm understanding they are trying to get the clips made for a reasonable price. They made some packages available for 20.00 last month to a group of backers. Hopefully this will really happen and we can enjoy this supposedly better type 55 in the near future.

Gah!!! I missed this??? I would have bought a few! I want to be a backer! (Even though I'm broke haha).

swhiser
1-Feb-2014, 12:03
I don't know how similar the technology is between making the peel apart packages for type 55 and the readyload/quickload packages, but as long as we are dreaming about Type 55 - wouldn't it be be great if some third party could take standard 4x5 sheet film and package it in a readyload/quickload type package!

Hi Mark_S -

This will work with the same packaging used in the New55 FILM project. We've discussed the off-the-shelf "readyload" concept and it's an attractive idea.

-Sam Hiser

project CEO
new55project.com