PDA

View Full Version : Dupont Defender films

jayabbas
11-Apr-2013, 21:35
Anyone have the Dupont Defender film information book? Looking for info on High Speed Pan Type 428 -circa '52 and Ivora - sensitized white film - circa '53. I do believe "Ivora" was a special order type film from what little I have discovered. Man , to have lived in the fifties with access to all the great films and papers -- bliss !!!

Captain_joe6
14-Apr-2013, 11:45
I think I've got some info kicking around someplace. What do you want to know?

jayabbas
14-Apr-2013, 20:00
I think I've got some info kicking around someplace. What do you want to know? I am looking for stated film speed and granularity. These films had really good chunks of silver if I'm not mistaken, but the base is not friendly to the ages(developed or undeveloped). Also what was Duponts recommendation for developer ?

Roger Cole
15-Apr-2013, 03:23
Anyone have the Dupont Defender film information book? Looking for info on High Speed Pan Type 428 -circa '52 and Ivora - sensitized white film - circa '53. I do believe "Ivora" was a special order type film from what little I have discovered. Man , to have lived in the fifties with access to all the great films and papers -- bliss !!!

Just as the future looked better in the past than it turned out (at least to me - where's my weekend trip to the mars colony, dammit?) the past looks better through the rose colored glasses of the future. While the selection may not be as large today, we have some of the best materials ever available. There was nothing like Ilford MGFB and MGWT, TMY-2, Acros...and forget about color. Yeah, they had (very slow) Kodachrome but no Ektar, no Portra, certainly no Provia 400 etc.

sun of sand
18-Apr-2013, 11:53
I have the 1951 booklet but I've never heard of Ivora film.
I'll post the pages later if nobody gets to it before me

developer 16D was given for all films
you can read about it maybe in the "similar threads" listed below

jayabbas
18-Apr-2013, 19:56
Hi sun of sand, I actually have 5 or 6 tins of 16d developer but have no typical development times for the period. If you can post the 1951 book, that would help solve part of my mystery, er puzzle. Thanks

sun of sand
19-Apr-2013, 02:59

Sorry about the quality. I just snapped em.

I'm sure I have a couple 16D cans, as well. I use many canned developers from this era and they work fine.
I have a litho developer green can 21-D that I can't find anywhere. I believe there is another 21-D I've found on the net but not a lith developer

Michael Graves
19-Apr-2013, 04:53
...While the selection may not be as large today, we have some of the best materials ever available. There was nothing like Ilford MGFB and MGWT, TMY-2, Acros...

An excellent point. I remember back in the seventies, when I was just a kid getting started, I had all kinds of "thick emulsion" films to choose from. True, some of them were easier to work with than today's film because they had such incredible latitude. But that latitude came with a price. Grain was ferocious. Even a 4x5 negative enlarged to 8x10 could show the grain on some of those films. A well-exposed and properly developed negative gave the richest tones...especially if printed on Kodabromide or Agfa Brovira. But just a tad too much development to move up to +1, or God forbid, +2 and the grain was there. Even Tri-X started out that way. In its early generations, grain could be pretty difficult to tame. Which is a huge reason large format was the only acceptable medium for studio product photography.

jayabbas
19-Apr-2013, 08:36
Thank you very much sun of sand for the pictures and your time posting them up. This will help greatly .

Kevin Crisp
19-Apr-2013, 08:44
Dupont made some truly outstanding papers back in the day.

sun of sand
19-Apr-2013, 12:51
you may know already but there is a box of Ivora up on Ebay
52/3 is about 2 decades too old to even try IMO but

sun of sand
19-Apr-2013, 13:29
And what about Azo? It's been recreated in Lodima and others wish it were more like Industro
Panatomic-X? You saying you wouldn't like that film brought back? Lasts forever with no base fogging and great tonality.
Super-XX Versapan
Verichrome I hear all the time
Velour Black
Ektalure
I like very warm variable contrast Portralure, too
all the different paper surfaces
There were lots of great/unique films and papers

I don't see anything wrong with it especially if your efforts are towards photography and not just testing testing testing
Maybe by trying some of the forgottens you learn about some currently available that recreates or betters it
Maybe you rediscover something and buy up all you can get before anyone else finds out

I think before the net took hold of all the old paper that had been thrown away with most everyone believing it no longer any good
Now people try to sell it for more than it's worth because people have reported success