PDA

View Full Version : how do I find rear lens caps for MF lenses?

robert liebermann
10-Apr-2013, 16:47
New to LF, and have a couple lenses on the way; alas, both without f/r caps.

In MF and 35 it's easy of course because the caps go on the mount, but LF looks like it might be a puzzle...

Front is easy enough, metal screw-on kind (my favorite) based on threads, but is there a way or some sort of standard or other method to find how to 'get' the rear caps for lenses?

Don't tell me I have to measure the rear diameter of the lens and 'find something' to fit (unless that's how it is)! And if so, is there a good place to look/get such caps?

Is there another, better solution? This must be a common problem...

I've got a Fujinon-w 210/5.6 (67mm front thread) and a super-angulon 75/8 (couldn't resist the price) on the way, so if anyone knows the specifics on the rear caps for those, let me know...

vinny
10-Apr-2013, 18:33
Measure. Go to b&h photo and search schneider lens caps.

Or google the lenses you mentioned and read the specs: http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=800704097_USE&subview=specifications&title=210mm%20f/5.6%20Fujinon-W%20Lens%20with%20Copal%20#1%20Shutter&itemcode=704097

Or https://www.google.com/search?q=large+format+lens+caps&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
First link is keh.com.

ic-racer
10-Apr-2013, 18:37
I have purchased Fujinon large format lens caps from KEH.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Body-and-Lens-Caps/1/sku-LF299990316720?r=FE

robert liebermann
10-Apr-2013, 19:03
Hmm, weird I couldn't find this topic when searching here, but tried the general web search and whola, my fears were confirmed: there is no system or standard! ... But, aha, thanks for the links and info that BH has some specs that help me... (and hello grand rapids, where I spent my juvenile delinquent years and beyond...)

Leigh
11-Apr-2013, 00:37
KEH, as previously mentioned. www.keh.com Select Medium Format from the options at upper left.

Their inventory changes very rapidly, so you need to check at least every week or so.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
11-Apr-2013, 02:28
Kaiser makes push-on caps from 19mm to 120mm diameter. these are the stadard types of caps for large format type lenses as well as other cameras, binoculars, spotting scopes, IR thermometers, etc. They are available from camera stores and many stores stock them.

robert liebermann
15-Apr-2013, 10:52
Thanks for all the help - and for reading through my major typo - obviously, maybe, I was asking about LF caps... and only realized my typo now, a week later... I think I've found specs on the two lenses I have to get them for now; hopefully this will be the case in future for my LARGE FORMAT CAMERA lenses!

ic-racer
15-Apr-2013, 17:41
I think I've found specs on the two lenses I have to get them for now;

If you wait until the lenses arrive and are in your hand you can just measure them rather than looking for the info on-line. For example my Fujinon 210mm has a 60mm rear diameter, but they are multiple Fujinon 210mm versions out there.