PDA

View Full Version : The 10(plus) most useful tips-to-self before taking the shot

Heroique
10-Apr-2013, 14:37
Here they are – finally! – the key tips you’ve been waiting to read & share :D :

1. Confirm the lens shutter is closed before pulling the darkslide.

2. [?]

While in the field, I record whatever tips might improve my work the next time. I even devote a section of my spiral notepad to the topic, and when back home, transcribe new entries to a master list. Every now and then, I’ll review the master list, top to bottom. Above I’ve listed the very first “tip-to-self” I ever committed to paper. Glad I did! For this single tip has reduced the tormented screams hikers used to hear in the forests & mountains of Washington state. It has also saved more than a few sheets of film.

What’s your next tip for the LF photographer, whether beginner or veteran?

BrianShaw
10-Apr-2013, 14:53
2. Always bring a roll of toilet paper.

Gem Singer
10-Apr-2013, 15:03
Be sure to re-insert the dark slide before removing the film holder from your camera.

And, be sure that film holder is loaded with film before you use it.

Heroique
10-Apr-2013, 15:05
Gem, that must be #3 and #4. Both very helpful ones!

5. Give vacillating breeze one additional moment to calm. (As most landscapers know, patience can also increase the breeze, but broadly speaking, this tip works pretty well.)

ataim
10-Apr-2013, 15:11
6. Make sure that shutter is closed before pulling dark slide.

Heroique
10-Apr-2013, 15:15
6. Make sure that shutter is closed before pulling dark slide.

Certainly this tip is so important, so easy to overlook, so potentially damaging to one’s work, that of all the key tips for field or studio I can think of, this is the one that should be done twice!

Brian C. Miller
10-Apr-2013, 15:25
Check shutter settings BEFORE pulling dark slide.

So:
#1, check film holders in the dark. Checking for film in film holders in the daylight is enlightening, but not conducive to photography.
#2, bring roll of toilet paper.
#3, check shutter settings before pulling the dark slide.
#4, check shutter is closed before pulling the dark slide.
#5, check that dark slide is reinserted before pulling out film holder.
#6, make a notation about what you just did.
#7, put the holder some place safe. Rocks, rails, and too-small-pockets are not safe.

Oh, yeah: put the camera on an adequate tripod and focus it.

And point the camera at something interesting.

DarkroomDan
10-Apr-2013, 15:30
Be sure all movements are locked down before inserting the film holder.

djhopscotch
10-Apr-2013, 15:35

2. ?

3. Profit?

Gem Singer
10-Apr-2013, 15:42
Almost forgot, don't forget to cock the shutter!

Heroique
10-Apr-2013, 15:46
Already, a chaotic avalanche of tips! ☺

That’s okay, the more disorderly, the more random, the better...

That way, people can pick from the pool, personalize, and prioritize.

-----
* Remember to consider adjusting exposure for your b/w filter.

Dan Fromm
10-Apr-2013, 15:47
If shooting a wide angle lens on a press camera, check that the bed is dropped. Been there, done that. It isn't always fatal, but is fatal often enough.

If shooting a Speed Graphic and using the focal plane shutter, make sure the lens' shutter is closed before winding the focal plane shutter; with a barrel lens, make sure the lens cap is on before winding the focal plane shutter. Then make sure the lens' shutter is open or the cap is off again.

Check shutter settings before and after focusing and composing. I've failed to stop down more than once, also, when the shutter needed "T" to stay open haven't always set the right speed.

Jody_S
10-Apr-2013, 15:48
One of my personal failings: always check your corners. I don't know how many shots I've ruined by using too much rise or shift and ending up with 2 dark corners.

N Dhananjay
10-Apr-2013, 16:12
If I can play devil's advocate... do not put together a long laundry list of rules that you have to remember. Develop good habits and work in an orderly way in the field. Do not short-circuit your own process.
1. Extend tripod legs - I find it helpful to extend front leg an in or two more.
2. Place camera on tripod - hoist onto shoulder.
3. Place front leg of tripod down first. With other hand, open the two back legs onto a level stance.
4. Open camera.
5. Select and mount lens.
6. Open shutter.
7. Get under darkcloth, commune with your navel, compose, check corners.
8. Meter and decide on exposure.
9. Set aperture - recheck focus and corners etc.
10. Close shutter.
11. Insert filmholder.
12. Remove darkslide.
13. Make exposure. Keep darkslide in hand as reminder to reinsert before doing anything else.
14. Re-insert darkslide.
15. Remove filmholder.
16. Open shutter and recheck composition to make sure nothing drastic shifted - focus, framing etc.
17. Pray and sacrifice a chicken on the spot. Keep entrails to read in the night to decide where to go photographing the next day.
18. Make notes in notebook - exposure, subject, developing notes etc.

That routine needs to become habit and instinct. It is usually when one works without habits that errors arise. Sometimes, you may want to deviate from the habit but it should be the exception rather than the norm.

Cheers, DJ

BrianShaw
10-Apr-2013, 16:42
I'm reporting post #14 as a violation of the site's "religion ban"... devil's and chicken sacrifices. Shame on you. :D

... and you'll regret not having TP with you too!

Kirk Gittings
10-Apr-2013, 16:44
:)...

Dan Fromm
10-Apr-2013, 17:04
DJ, that looks like a checklist.

Is that one chicken per shot? If so, how do you herd your chickens? And, do you need to gut more than one per day?

Heroique
10-Apr-2013, 17:27
During set-up, if you have no chicken entrails to help you predict the immediate future, scan the cloud-broken skies to anticipate beneficial (or upsetting) changes in light.

To anticipate the breeze, listen to distant trees and their shivering foliage. Is the noise approaching? Receding? Steady?

When you get better at this, try to coordinate the two.

In a phrase, make use of your Indian senses!

ROL
10-Apr-2013, 17:50
Be sure to re-insert the dark slide before removing the film holder from your camera.

Doh! I can hardly admit to having done that more than once.

ROL
10-Apr-2013, 17:54
Make certain your shirt is tucked in the back and your belt is tightened before bending over for one last look under the darkcloth.***

*** applies mostly to "Norge Men".

N Dhananjay
10-Apr-2013, 18:04
It looks like a checklist but I'm suggesting that you should practice it (or whatever routine makes sense to you) till it becomes habit. It needs to become like riding a bike - it has never worked for me to consult a set of rules in a dynamic, chaotic process.

And for those of you who are squeamish about the chickens, feel free to use rabbits feet, though you do end up violating the rule of no cruelty to animals - well, the cute ones anyway.

Ah yes, carrying those chickens - but you're shooting LF, a domain where sensible loads are things shouldered by other people.

Cheers, DJ

Dan Fromm
10-Apr-2013, 19:01
DJ,

I used to be a professional seer. I started out examining animals' entrails, as you suggested. Nowadays this technique has many practical problems of implementation.

After a time I consulted my Seers' Pocket Handbook and Guide, and switched to making forecasts based on the flight of birds. Much less problematic and, as the Handbook and Guide says, the absence of birds is very informative.

Cheers,

Dan

Of relevance to this thread, the Seers' Pocket Handbook and Guide recommends standing well behind the camera when shooting with extreme wide-angle lenses. It says to use a cable release, not a finger, to trip the shutter. EWA lenses always see trigger fingers.

ROL
10-Apr-2013, 19:30
Make certain your shirt is tucked in the back and your belt is tightened before bending over for one last look under the darkcloth.

For those of you who remember, that was also part of Lady Bird Johnson's "Beautify America" campaign.

John Kasaian
10-Apr-2013, 20:35
Exercise old Universal shutters a few times before firing for reals.
Shower curtains can come in handy during incliment weather
Most important, keep a sense of humor.

sully75
10-Apr-2013, 21:29
Make sure that your subjects head doesn't have junk behind it.

welly
10-Apr-2013, 21:43
Make sure you know what film is in your film holder.

David Karp
10-Apr-2013, 22:30
Wow, DJ, when was the last time you posted before this! Good to see your words.

Heroique
10-Apr-2013, 23:35

2. ?

3. Profit?

I think I’ve solved this most mysterious of replies. I had to wear my detective hat for quite some time, but here’s my official report: “Tips to self” (in subject line) was read as “Tips to sell.” Naturally, there’s curiosity here about the profit that tip #1 might generate.

-----
Where are we? Somewhere between tip #6 and #9? :rolleyes:

* Before shutter snap, scan the image area for tiny bits of trash and other undesirable elements that are dim on the GG but bright and conspicuous in the print!

BrianShaw
11-Apr-2013, 07:21
Make sure that your subjects head doesn't have junk behind it.

... and make sure your subject's junk doesn't have a ladies head behind it!

DrTang
11-Apr-2013, 07:37
Make sure you know what film is in your film holder.

oy..no kidding.. also..

no..I won't remember that I forgot to replace the darkslide black side out and to not use the holder again

also: bring shutter notebook with

and related: red shutter notebook everytime I change lenses

(notebook has stuff specific to each lens/lens-shutter..like: Make sure x-synch is on red, make sure the sync levr is cocked...stuff like that)

Andrew O'Neill
11-Apr-2013, 08:35
Always bring a roll of toilet paper.

So, so true. And hand wipes.

Ari
11-Apr-2013, 08:37
Make certain your shirt is tucked in the back and your belt is tightened before bending over for one last look under the darkcloth.

I do all that, but the end result is still the same...

dave clayton
11-Apr-2013, 09:06
check your camera is functional before going out and taking 6 shots only to find out they are ruined by a defective camera

E. von Hoegh
11-Apr-2013, 09:22
Wow.
You guys need to take a look at your diets, it sounds like you all have chronic continence problems.

BrianShaw
11-Apr-2013, 09:34
So, so true. And hand wipes.

... actually... you have the even best idea. Baby wipes are better than TP. Any mommie knows that. Why didn't I recall that?

Andrew O'Neill
11-Apr-2013, 10:02
Yes, actually I use baby wipes. One of my friends used it all up on a road trip to Saskatchewan... ;)

Andreas
11-Apr-2013, 12:50
N+1. After removing holder, check that focus and composition haven't been ruined as you kicked the #@mm tripod.

timparkin
11-Apr-2013, 14:27
Just a tip to add for people regarding 'make sure the shutter is closed'.

I always - always - cock and fire the shutter once before pulling the dark slide. If the shutter doesn't fire you know you've not closed it. Firing the shutter also gives it a bit of exercise and removes any demons embedded in the blades that beam light leaks onto your film - little evil nasty buggers..

Tim

Serge S
11-Apr-2013, 14:44

I always - always - cock and fire the shutter once before pulling the dark slide. If the shutter doesn't fire you know you've not closed it. Firing the shutter also gives it a bit of exercise and removes any demons embedded in the blades that beam light leaks onto your film - little evil nasty buggers..

Tim

That's a great tip. Still new to LF, when shooting a portrait sometimes I tend to rush things, especially with an impatient son, and ruin a sheet sheet by not closing the shutter:(

barnninny
11-Apr-2013, 17:34
That's a great tip. Still new to LF, when shooting a portrait sometimes I tend to rush things, especially with an impatient son, and ruin a sheet sheet by not closing the shutter:(

As another noob, I like that one a lot, too. Combining it with some of the others, I think I'll try to get into the habit of thinking of cock-and-fire, cock, pull dark slide, fire, replace dark slide as a single operation. Making an exposure isn't firing the shutter; it's all of those things.

David Lobato
11-Apr-2013, 18:15
I'll add tightening the tripod and head knobs, especially the pan knob, before inserting a film holder. You will know if you haven't when the camera swivels off your composition. Argh, re-insert dark slide, remove film holder, open shutter, open aperture, pull focus hood over the back, re-compose, then tighten the tripod head, reverse the steps all over again. One is lucky if the portrait subject is remaining patient and still, or the composition is still there, the wind hasn't kicked up, light hasn't changed, etc.

Heroique
11-Apr-2013, 18:43
...especially the pan knob...

Failing to double-check the tightness of panning has bitten me a few times. :(

My tripod head is not a panning design (it’s a double tilt design), so I manage panning from the tripod – the central vertical knob.

I’ve made a habit of confirming its tightness before sliding in the film holder.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Apr-2013, 20:23
Make sure the lens is actually attached to the camera, especially when it is tilted down. Not a nice sound.

Kirk Gittings
11-Apr-2013, 21:22
Make sure the lens is actually attached to the camera, especially when it is tilted down. Not a nice sound.

Damn its embarrassing how many of these tips I have violated. I could be the poster boy for what not to do.

Joe Wright
12-Apr-2013, 01:19
- Meter at least twice, shoot only once.
- Reverse darkslide before re-inserting, unintentional double exposures involving what would have been your two best photographs reduce one to tears.
- Give your tripod a wide berth when moving round to the front/side to set shutter, etc... stepping over the tripod legs is sure recipe for having to recompose or a face plant into a prickly bush.
- Check your corners for lens hood vignetting, especially after that last minute tilt / rise tweak.
- A test fire of the shutter looking at the lens verifies what speed and aperture you set it for (dakslide in of course!)
- If using an umbrella to shelter the camera from wind / rain make sure that little strap that keeps the thing rolled up isn't dangling in front of the lens :o
- Use spikes for your tripod feet, as well as stability in spongy ground, somehow you’ll feel safer walking through the woods in the dark.
- and so on.... I wonder how I ever get to take any photos!

timparkin
12-Apr-2013, 03:54
- Meter at least twice, shoot only once.
- Reverse darkslide before re-inserting, unintentional double exposures involving what would have been your two best photographs reduce one to tears.
- Give your tripod a wide berth when moving round to the front/side to set shutter, etc... stepping over the tripod legs is sure recipe for having to recompose or a face plant into a prickly bush.
- Check your corners for lens hood vignetting, especially after that last minute tilt / rise tweak.
- A test fire of the shutter looking at the lens verifies what speed and aperture you set it for (dakslide in of course!)
- If using an umbrella to shelter the camera from wind / rain make sure that little strap that keeps the thing rolled up isn't dangling in front of the lens :o
- Use spikes for your tripod feet, as well as stability in spongy ground, somehow you’ll feel safer walking through the woods in the dark.
- and so on.... I wonder how I ever get to take any photos!

SPIKES!! Oh lord yes!! One of the best results I've had when researching sharper lenses..

Tim

Terry Christian
12-Apr-2013, 05:31
In the event you find that you lack the requisite chicken to sacrifice, the fellow photographer you brought along will do in a pinch, especially if he has been highly annoying during the trip. Subsequent reading of entrails is not recommended, however, as this may give away to the authorities the secret of your winning technique.

ataim
12-Apr-2013, 06:12
DJ,recommends standing well behind the camera when shooting with extreme wide-angle lenses. It says to use a cable release, not a finger, to trip the shutter. EWA lenses always see trigger fingers.

Yep done that a few times. OK, lots of times.

jnantz
12-Apr-2013, 07:01
never count seconds in seconds always in something else
like " 1 sip of ... ( you can fill the blank in with our favorite thing to sip ) "

rdenney
12-Apr-2013, 07:11
I'm reporting post #14 as a violation of the site's "religion ban"... devil's and chicken sacrifices. Shame on you. :D

... and you'll regret not having TP with you too!

#14? I went searching for #14 with the gimlet eye of the jaded Nazi moderator, only to find:

14. Re-insert darkslide.

While not doing so has caused people around me to question my religious faith, simply based on my choice of words, I don't really see that as a religious issue.

Now, #17 says:

17. Pray and sacrifice a chicken on the spot. Keep entrails to read in the night to decide where to go photographing the next day.

That is clearly not religious. Depending on the color of the chicken, of course.

Rick "discussions on the efficacy of Rhode Island Red chicken entrails will NOT be tolerated" Denney

rdenney
12-Apr-2013, 07:13
Make certain your shirt is tucked in the back and your belt is tightened before bending over for one last look under the darkcloth.***

Particularly those of the hippie persuasion who go commando.

Rick "yeah, TMI" Denney

rdenney
12-Apr-2013, 07:19

Tim

You do realize that in doing so, you are challenging the Film God (yeah, religious again) to smite you by making that one exercise of the shutter be the only time in a 16-hour period that the wind does not cause the leaves to move. And having been smote upon, you will curse the presence of the dark slide in the holder during the "practice swing".

My own addition to the thread, buried in a checklist but apparently (with my own experience as a guide to importance) not sufficiently emphasized: Stop the %&*($&! lens down before making the exposure. I mean, color negative film has a LOT of latitude towards overexposure, but not four stops. And then there's the depth of field issue.

Rick "not that he's ever made that mistake" Denney

BrianShaw
12-Apr-2013, 07:46
#14? I went searching for #14 with the gimlet eye of the jaded Nazi moderator, only to find:

That is clearly not religious. Depending on the color of the chicken, of course.

Rick "discussions on the efficacy of Rhode Island Red chicken entrails will NOT be tolerated" Denney

Post 14, not tip 14.

p.s. I prefer Plymouth Rocks, myself!

p.p.s. Please don't smote upon me... I'm just sayin'!

timparkin
12-Apr-2013, 09:11
You do realize that in doing so, you are challenging the Film God (yeah, religious again) to smite you by making that one exercise of the shutter be the only time in a 16-hour period that the wind does not cause the leaves to move. And having been smote upon, you will curse the presence of the dark slide in the holder during the "practice swing".

Ah yes! Competing Murphy laws..

My own addition to the thread, buried in a checklist but apparently (with my own experience as a guide to importance) not sufficiently emphasized: Stop the %&*($&! lens down before making the exposure. I mean, color negative film has a LOT of latitude towards overexposure, but not four stops.

Incredibly it actually does have more than four stops!

I was using a Fuji 6x17 camera doing some battalion photography for the British Army and wasn't completely used to the 'lock the cable release open to use ground glass' procedure.

So after focussing I removed ground glass, loaded film, closed back and then about 30 or 40 seconds later remembered that the lens was still wide open.

Considering that the base exposure was 1/15 at f/16, I had just overexposed my photograph by 11 or 12 stops..

When I got the film back it was pretty burned in (Portra 400) but I thought I'd scan it to see what had happened. Once I got it off the drum scanner I was astonished to find I could actually make out the picture. Pretty grainy (to say the least) and the majority of the resolution had gone but I could make out individual soldiers and the frame of the stand.

Portra is some amazing stuff and that is why you don't need to worry about specular highlights blowing! ;-)

Tim

rdenney
12-Apr-2013, 14:55
Incredibly it actually does have more than four stops!

Yes, I did actually mess up one shot on Fuji 160C recently, and shot it at f/6.3 instead of f/32 because I forgot to stop the lens down. Grrr! The next shot, where I remember to stop it down, was messed up by wind. Grrr! So, it's about four stops overexposed.

From a density and color point of view, yes, the negative was actually usable. But even with the tilt I used, the razor-thin depth of field really made the image look just weird. I keep hoping someone will look at it and rave about how Artistic it is, but alas...

http://www.rickdenney.com/Island/tree_on_hill_lores.jpg

Rick "who was smote upon in that case" Denney

ROL
12-Apr-2013, 16:29
Good to know at least some (honest) LF'ers tend to make and re-make the same mistakes over and over again. Every time I've done something dumb with the camera, I try to hide it immediately, berating myself (stupid, stupid, stupid – or something like that), especially when others are around, fearing (hoping?) I will never again be allowed into the LF Club again, the doors being guarded by the likes of a 'Drew Wiley-ish' bouncer. :eek:. While in waiting rooms this week, I started re-reading "Conversations with Ansel Adams", in which speaking of the decisive moment, he casually admits to being clumsy with the camera after a period of non use. Welcome to the Club, everybody. :D

...and thanks for the tips.

john borrelli
16-Apr-2013, 19:56
I envy people who do their own developing and printing. They never have to try to convince the person behind the counter that their latest mistake was really an attempt at artistic experimentation.

I find if I use more than one kind of film at the same time this allows me to exponentially increase the number of artistic experimentations I can make in a much shorter time period.

For example,sending the color film to the black and white lab and the black and white film to the color lab. This will give the color lab staff a good chuckle when you go to pick up your film and it will induce some real head shaking for the black and white staff as they will never understand why you would shoot color film in the first place. The worst feeling is when you go to the second lab knowing you have messed up because of all the chuckling you have already endured from the color lab staff but you have to go because after all you have to pay them too.

Luckily because of your artistic experimentation, the lab people may not have noticed that you exposed the world's last sheets of velvia 50 at 400 while exposing your Ilford Hp5 at ISO 32!

And oh yeah, using two different brands of film holders didn't help with the work flow too well as you actually somehow exposed one sheet in each holder twice and the other sheet not at all!!

AuditorOne
16-Apr-2013, 20:15
I envy people who do their own developing and printing. They never have to try to convince the person behind the counter that their latest mistake was really an attempt at artistic experimentation.

I find if I use more than one kind of film at the same time this allows me to exponentially increase the number of artistic experimentations I can make in a much shorter time period.

For example,sending the color film to the black and white lab and the black and white film to the color lab. This will give the color lab staff a good chuckle when you go to pick up your film and it will induce some real head shaking for the black and white staff as they will never understand why you would shoot color film in the first place. The worst feeling is when you go to the second lab knowing you have messed up because of all the chuckling you have already endured from the color lab staff but you have to go because after all you have to pay them too.

Luckily because of your artistic experimentation, the lab people may not have noticed that you exposed the world's last sheets of velvia 50 at 400 while exposing your Ilford Hp5 at ISO 32!

And oh yeah, using two different brands of film holders didn't help with the work flow too well as you actually somehow exposed one sheet in each holder twice and the other sheet not at all!!

Or getting a phone call the next day from the lab asking if there really was film in the film holders you left for them with such explicit developing instructions. :)

aruns
16-Apr-2013, 23:54
"- Reverse darkslide before re-inserting, unintentional double exposures involving what would have been your two best photographs reduce one to tears."

So true. After developing a sheet film and printing test strip / proofs, I noticed tiny artifacts in the print. However I did not recall the scene having those artifacts. Went back to the enlarger and magnified the image to > 11x14 size, and used the loupe. And there it was, the wide angle image of San Francisco taken from twin peaks, along with the previously exposed image of Snow covered boulders in Merced river. I cursed myself and was upset for few days.
Now I double check the dark slide before re-inserting it. Apart from hoping to make it to Yosemite after a big snow storm next winter.

My additions based on my limited experience:
- Make backup exposures of valuable scenes. (It may be a bit expensive but will surely work out cheaper than additional travel expenses).
- Use those stopper pins to secure the dark slide in place whenever film is loaded in the holder. They would prevent unintentional removal of the darkslide and washout of valuable shots.
- Use separate ziploc bags for each film holder. (Stacking a few holders in one ziploc bag may be unavoidable at times, especially in the field, but if the stopper pins are not engaged it could result in ruining some sheets).

Regards
Arun.

Drew Bedo
23-Apr-2013, 11:11
• Don’t kick the tripod.
• Dneck trhe GG corners.
• Re-meter the scene—again.
• Reset the preview lever.
• Pull (replace) the slide.
These are not in any particular order of importance or sequence.

John Kasaian
23-Apr-2013, 12:13
On a more philosophical bent, I ask myself "If this should be the last sheet of film I ever expose, is it something I'll want to be remembered for by my children?"

Adrian Pybus
23-Apr-2013, 13:34
Checking that something hasn't moved in or out of your picture after you looked at the GG. My visualization sometimes become my reality and I forget that the world doesn't obey my visualization.

If possible use the f-stop you're actually going to expose with. It is hugely embarrassing to discover that that fuzzy thing at 4.5 looks really bad at 22.

BillA
18-May-2013, 10:30
Pack the camera, not just the ancillaries.

barnninny
18-May-2013, 13:57
lol

David Lobato
18-May-2013, 16:27
After taking the shot, reverse the dark slide before inserting into the film holder. This is my most common mistake because I let my vigilance down after letting go of the cable release.

Cletus
18-May-2013, 18:06
If I'm shooting in full sun, or even close to it, when I pull the darkslide for the exposure I always shade the 'open' end of the film holder with it from direct sun. I don't think my holders have leaks in strong light, but I have certainly had some inexplicable fogging on the edges of some negatives. It seems since I've adopted this shading habit, the problem has all but disappeared.

Jerry Bodine
18-May-2013, 21:37
If I'm shooting in full sun, or even close to it, when I pull the darkslide for the exposure I always shade the 'open' end of the film holder with it from direct sun.

Just when it seems we've about covered the gamut of possibilities, this one reminds me of my habit of putting sufficient squeeze on the top of the holder during darkslide remove/insert to keep the holder against the rear frame.

swmcl
18-May-2013, 23:37
1. Clear a path for the darkslide. How many times have I yanked the camera out of position because the darkslide got caught up in the darkcloth ?? (I have a darkcloth made by my wife that has elastic all the way around the camera body)

2. DO NOT try to take photos by pulling the darkslide out most of the way. Take it out altogether. I have a metal darkslide on a 6x17 adapter and thought I'd be smart by half and make a scratch on the darkslide so that I could just gently slide it out which would not jerk the camera out of position either when it finally 'popped' out nor when I missed the slot and tried to put it back in. Only problem was that the long exposure with a long slender darkslide flapping in the wind allowed light through the slot surrounding the darkslide !! So. Just remove it OK! (note to smart-alec self)

Compact cameras of any variety are SO much less complicated ! I've a feeling we all have to make each of the mistakes at least once. LF really does make a clown of most at some time or other !

Robert Opheim
19-May-2013, 00:05
I can add remember to add bellows and reciprocity factors to the list of things to remember!

cjbroadbent
19-May-2013, 03:38
Before stopping down, squint through the corners of the ground-glass to see if the lens-hood/compendium is in the picture.

Jim Cole
19-May-2013, 05:54
If I can play devil's advocate... do not put together a long laundry list of rules that you have to remember. Develop good habits and work in an orderly way in the field. Do not short-circuit your own process.
1. Extend tripod legs - I find it helpful to extend front leg an in or two more.
2. Place camera on tripod - hoist onto shoulder.
3. Place front leg of tripod down first. With other hand, open the two back legs onto a level stance.
4. Open camera.
5. Select and mount lens.
6. Open shutter.
7. Get under darkcloth, commune with your navel, compose, check corners.
8. Meter and decide on exposure.
9. Set aperture - recheck focus and corners etc.
10. Close shutter.
11. Insert filmholder.
12. Remove darkslide.
13. Make exposure. Keep darkslide in hand as reminder to reinsert before doing anything else.
14. Re-insert darkslide.
15. Remove filmholder.
16. Open shutter and recheck composition to make sure nothing drastic shifted - focus, framing etc.
18. Make notes in notebook - exposure, subject, developing notes etc.

That routine needs to become habit and instinct. It is usually when one works without habits that errors arise. Sometimes, you may want to deviate from the habit but it should be the exception rather than the norm.

Cheers, DJ

Just came back from a trip and violated #12 on the two shots I really wanted. I can't believe that after almost 9 years with large format that I can still make this rookie mistake. Both shots were the "dialed in" second shots on different subjects. Haven't pulled this stunt in 4-5 years. I got home and noticed that the white sides of the dark slides were facing out on two of the exposed holders. Well, at least I didn't double expose the other side of the holder and ruin four shots instead of two.

Lenny Eiger
19-May-2013, 11:45
I have made all these mistakes as well.

One tip I will add is to look again at the image. Ask yourself - am I telling one story or two? If done right this will often result in picking up the camera and tripod and moving forward a bit, for a much tighter and better image.

I would add also ask, did I stick everything in the center of the image? If so, stop being so boring, unless its really necessary for the image, and create a better design.

Lenny

Bogdan Karasek
7-Aug-2013, 19:10

And, be sure that film holder is loaded with film before you use it.

and that the darkslide has the darkside out....after exposure.

Yes, some of my best shots were recorded with empty film holders.... it's magic ;)

Ari
7-Aug-2013, 19:29
Always remove the dark slide on the lens side, not the one closer to me.

Vaughn
7-Aug-2013, 20:30
Don't leave all your film holders at home...realized that after driving 8 hrs to Yosemite.

But the only tip which I had not read yet (unless I missed it)...double check to see if the image on the GG is really worth exposing a sheet of film for.

Jody_S
7-Aug-2013, 20:38
and that the darkslide has the darkside out....after exposure.

Yes, some of my best shots were recorded with empty film holders.... it's magic ;)

I prefer it this way. The harsh reality of a negative doesn't get in the way of how I imagined the shot when I tripped the shutter.

StoneNYC
7-Aug-2013, 20:52

Haha that ones funny!

I've only shot less than 10 shots and already...

1 forgotten to close the shutter before removing the dark slide

2 removed the holder before putting the dark slide back in

3 not accounted for bellows factors

4 left the dark slide partially in causing light leak

5 not locked all the movements on a long exposure

6 not brought toilet paper (didn't need it but figured I would throw it in).

7 forgotten to thoroughly explain that "hold still for this shot" means I'm taking an exposure longer than 1/60 a second and you need to actually not move for new than two seconds. And ruined a Velvia50 shot... Ugh...

ImSoNegative
8-Aug-2013, 06:26

lol yes I have done that, it was when several folks were standing around observing too, of course they didn't have a clue what I was doing anyway.

ImSoNegative
8-Aug-2013, 06:27
I have found that making good notes in the field is a great habit to get into

Maris Rusis
8-Aug-2013, 17:37
If you are in the habit of using your hat to shade the lens make sure it's a nice hat. No matter how careful you are you will have pictures of the hat. I know.

Quantumcat
8-Aug-2013, 20:11

Dammit Jim, I am a Photographer not a Plumber!!

David Schaller
8-Aug-2013, 20:19
Don't drive away for the weekend without your tripod.

lab black
9-Aug-2013, 00:25
Tap down on the top of the tripod prior to heaving your precious USS Enterprise on top so that you don't watch the bow sink during a long exposure from a sorta'...kinda.... I thought it was tight enough... front tripod leg.
I feel...well...not better, although perhaps a greater sense of bonding, knowing that I am not completely alone by pulling a holder with a $20.00 sheet of film with one hand after a 45 minute exposure while holding the darkslide with the other hand.
Chicken sacrifice... a true classic and one of the funniest things I have ever read on this forum...

AA+
11-Aug-2013, 17:31
For myself, my most helpful tip is to fire the shutter as practice before I pull the darkslide. When I do this I save myself a bunch of errors.

Best wishes --- Allen

David Lobato
11-Aug-2013, 17:54
If you want the wind to die down when you're all set up and ready, the shutter is cocked, darkslide has been pulled; then walk away from your camera. Far enough so it takes several seconds to run back. Guaranteed you will be too late for that one sure break in the wind. Another tip, lose concentration and start to daydream. Aeolus will be happy to demonstrate his quiet skills when you're not paying attention, or when too far away to do anything about it.

Doug Herta
11-Aug-2013, 19:38
N+1. After removing holder, check that focus and composition haven't been ruined as you kicked the #@mm tripod.

I feel so much better hearing someone else does this! It is my personal, chronic dumb move. I kick the tripod after the darkslide has been removed before exposure.Then I sit there and debate whether to "back out" (reinsert darkslide, remove film holder, open shutter, recheck focus and composition).

StoneNYC
11-Aug-2013, 20:29
For myself, my most helpful tip is to fire the shutter as practice before I pull the darkslide. When I do this I save myself a bunch of errors.

Best wishes --- Allen

This seems to help me too.

Also, don't forget long pants and long sleeves when shooting at a lake at dusk... doh!!! Seriously I must have about 100 mosquito bites from today... Ugh... I hope the shot comes out...