PDA

View Full Version : Lensboards for Kodak 1 (5x7)

Leszek Vogt
9-Apr-2013, 02:13
Thinking of making a run and make 4 boards. The one that came with the camera is toast. I was thinking of using ABS or some sort of polycarbonate material....so long the light doesn't leak through. If I was to use wood, I'm pretty sure I have something contrasty to cherry. Oh, and I need some small brass screws for the flange...they are 5/16" - not counting the head. I looked, but perhaps someone found a good place already. Thanks.

Les

Michael Graves
9-Apr-2013, 04:05
I picked up some beautiful brass screws from my local hardware store. They had several options in those drawers of bulk nuts, bolts and screws that most HW stores seem to have. You might try that before going out on a long search.

Jim C.
9-Apr-2013, 06:20
The screws would depend on your lens board material, wood screws would fracture plastics,
for that you would need machine screws and threaded inserts or tapping holes in the plastic.

McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com/) is a source for all kinds of screws but for wood screws for wooden cameras their sizes are limited.
they also have threaded inserts.

Bolt Depot (http://www.boltdepot.com/) is a great source for brass wood screws in # 0 - 2 sizes, especially oval headed, I recently placed
an order with them for a Graflex SLR restoration/rebuild I'm working on.

American integrated supply is another source, they sell on the 'Bay.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 10:24
Great sources!

I need a source for under 2 mm machine screws, now that seems hard to find.

My latest brain flash, is to strip an old computer of all fasteners. They have to be all metric, and many are way under 2 mm. Maybe I will find that tiny Linhof screw I need...

Thanks for Bolt Depot!

The screws would depend on your lens board material, wood screws would fracture plastics,
for that you would need machine screws and threaded inserts or tapping holes in the plastic.

McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com/) is a source for all kinds of screws but for wood screws for wooden cameras their sizes are limited.
they also have threaded inserts.

Bolt Depot (http://www.boltdepot.com/) is a great source for brass wood screws in # 0 - 2 sizes, especially oval headed, I recently placed
an order with them for a Graflex SLR restoration/rebuild I'm working on.

American integrated supply is another source, they sell on the 'Bay.

Jim C.
9-Apr-2013, 13:34
Randy, are you talking about length or the screw diameter ?
M1 and M2 is probably the smallest commercially available from sources like McMaster and Bolt Depot.
Most screws I have encountered in computers are indeed metric but more in the M1 - M2 sizes.

Are you sure what you're looking for is metric ?
McMaster has screws in the 00-120 to 1-72 range, I wish some of them came in larger
quantities and as flat heads.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 14:07
I need to replace one tapered head machine screw on an old Linhof 8x10. It will be metric. It is definitely under 2 mm in diameter. It fastens the GG to camera with a steel strip. Since 3 of 4 screws are still working, it is not mission critical yet. I may need to extract a broken screw, that may prove the most difficult task. I hate to replace metric with SAE.

I looked at a Euro site that had 0.9 mm screws, but I do not know exactly what I need. This is tiny stuff, my thread gages, taps, and screw extractors are far too big for this size.

I need to visit a good hobby shop that does RC and engines, I am sure they have tiny screws. Perhaps a clock/watch shop... I tried a Horseman screw with the same purpose, too big.

I could pester the last 2 local old time camera shops, but then I would feel compelled to spend $100 or more on something, just to make it worth their while. Even then, they just look sad.

For another camera, a B&J, I found stainless 2-56 SAE machine screws on eBay. I need one for a viewing hood latch repair, not a replacement. They only sell them by the 100 pack. So I need to buy 100 screws, washers and nuts to get one set. Only $15, but I am buried in stuff like that. Then I spend hours looking for them 5 years later...

Thanks, I will find one someday!

Randy, are you talking about length or the screw diameter ?
M1 and M2 is probably the smallest commercially available from sources like McMaster and Bolt Depot.
Most screws I have encountered in computers are indeed metric but more in the M1 - M2 sizes.

Are you sure what you're looking for is metric ?
McMaster has screws in the 00-120 to 1-72 range, I wish some of them came in larger
quantities and as flat heads.

Jim C.
9-Apr-2013, 15:49
Metric screws are sort of easy to figure out if you have calipers, measure the diameter of a good screw and that will give you the size,
so for example if the diameter of the screw measures 4.91 mm round it up to 5mm, the hard part is the thread pitch
shoot from the hip guess is that you may need a 1.6 or a 1.8mm screw with a .35 pitch those seem to be the smallest
size taps McMaster carries.

$15 for a box of 100 screws ! :eek: That's crazy, it's about $5 on average depending on length at McMaster for the same amount.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 15:56
$15 for 100 screws, 100 washers and 100 nuts, that's not crazy. $5 per bag.

Metric screws are sort of easy to figure out if you have calipers, measure the diameter of a good screw and that will give you the size,
so for example if the diameter of the screw measures 4.91 mm round it up to 5mm, the hard part is the thread pitch
shoot from the hip guess is that you may need a 1.6 or a 1.8mm screw with a .35 pitch those seem to be the smallest
size taps McMaster carries.

$15 for a box of 100 screws ! :eek: That's crazy, it's about $5 on average depending on length at McMaster for the same amount.

Jim C.
9-Apr-2013, 19:07
$15 for 100 screws, 100 washers and 100 nuts, that's not crazy. $5 per bag.

Didn't know that included the washers / nuts too.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 19:39
Sorry Jim, I kinda realized that. I think that was Amazon Prime free delivery with no tax. Just firing up my van to go to any store will cost $5 in fuel. I try to drive the monster as little as possible, but I love a big van for many reasons.

I can be very impulsive buying parts, I am trying real hard to not have 3 or 100 of everything. I mean, I live in a small Chicago condo and I have 2 small generators! One is good for camping and crazy night shooting...but I have never had a power outage in 25 years. Now I will be cursed. :(

Didn't know that included the washers / nuts too.

Leszek Vogt
10-Apr-2013, 00:59
Michael G., you were correct about shopping locally. I did find the #2 brass screws for the lens flange (& only @10 cents a piece), but the black screws that hold the bellows frame....that would be little different animal. My specialty (screws only) place was unable to come up with what I need. Might have to hit up some of those hobby places. Still searching...and thanks all for the input.

Les