PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

dimento
9-Apr-2013, 00:44
Just wondering if anyone has bought an 8x10 polaroid processor recently and what they cost?

Looking at Impossible Film for a special project and just wondering "how deep the rabbit hole is" so to speak

Thanks!

ScottPhotoCo
9-Apr-2013, 10:13
I picked mine up about 10 months ago for $350.

dimento
9-Apr-2013, 10:26
I picked mine up about 10 months ago for $350.

thanks for your reply, gives me a good ballpark idea

vinny
9-Apr-2013, 12:06
Check ebay completed listings. Five years ago you couldn't give them away. Since the new film came out, they're $1000+

Doug Howk
9-Apr-2013, 14:14
I paid somewhere between $350-500 for mine back when Polaroid was still producing film. Maybe it wasn't such a bad investment after-all ;-) Will have to dust mine off and see about getting some Impossible film. From the description, it almost seems like its type 55 (they mention a negative as well as print). Curious!

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 14:16
You also need special Polaroid film holders. They can get costly.

jcoldslabs
9-Apr-2013, 18:45
I picked up a processor, tray and holder last May for $50, but I think that was before IP rekindled interest in them.

Jonathan

Tin Can
9-Apr-2013, 19:28
I have one I picked up several years ago also. I never used it. I have 3 sheets of Type 891. I think I will try those sheets the next warm day.

I sure hope I don't like it for 2 reasons. #1, Type 891 is color transparency and will most likely never be made again, by anyone, so what good is 3 sheets. I will most likely mess them up. #2, IP is $20 a sheet and that is a little rich for my station in life.

If I make one good image, I will be frustrated because it can never be done again...

It will also be a miracle.

What would Mr Natural say?

Roboflick
14-Apr-2013, 08:33
Please contact me if interested in selling a processor. I have some of the 8 by 10 color film but need a processor

Thanks Nik

Sekharni@mac.com

Amedeus
14-Apr-2013, 08:47
As some have indicated, feebay is a good bet ... Just be patient and make sure you get the right holders for the processor, there are multiple types out there.

Be also prepared for exploding motor capacitors ... All 3 of mine exploded and I had to fix the units and clean the mess out.

Second thing to check are the rollers ... They have to be pristine and rolling true or the print is affected

YMMV

nonuniform
18-Apr-2013, 12:06
Just wondering if anyone has bought an 8x10 polaroid processor recently and what they cost?

Looking at Impossible Film for a special project and just wondering "how deep the rabbit hole is" so to speak

Thanks!

There are a few processors on eBay right now, ranging from 400 - 2300. There's even someone selling a NOS Calumet manual process for $1000. Personally, I always like the manual devices.

In addition, if you're feeling adventurous, you could do it diy -
http://new55project.blogspot.com/2013/01/new55-and-20x24-demonstrate-instant.html

You don't need the film changing tent with the fancy IR video monitor setup shown in the video. If you're used to loading film in the dark, you can do it without the IR video monitor setup. You just need to get good at attaching the film to the paper in the dark, then putting the whole thing in a light tight envelope and running it through a sheet metal brake! The roller style used in the video is about $200 new.

linkedit
21-Apr-2013, 16:17

Before the IP films came out people couldn't give those processors away. I rarely see them for less than $500 on eBay now. In the 90's I got one for free from the Polaroid Points promotion. I ended up trading it for a Matthews dot and finger kit. If only I knew then what I know now.

WayneStevenson
22-Apr-2013, 07:43
That's great to hear. I have one with a couple holders that takes up space. Have 4 sheets of color left to shoot, but never get around to it. Though they are pretty heavy so those high prices obviously take that into account.

nonuniform
29-Apr-2013, 16:49
I checked with Golden Manufacturing, they are now producing the manual processor for $800 + shipping, brand new. You still need the holder.

Tin Can
29-Apr-2013, 16:57
If anyone bothers to watch how IP does it, they will be surprised at what they use.

nonuniform
29-Apr-2013, 17:13
If anyone bothers to watch how IP does it, they will be surprised at what they use.

Or, you could just tell us here. I've looked into a diy setup, not a bad way to go, costs a lot less.

adelorenzo
29-Apr-2013, 17:47
I checked with Golden Manufacturing, they are now producing the manual processor for $800 + shipping, brand new. You still need the holder.

Do you have any contact info or a website? That's a lot better price than they are selling for on eBay right now.

nonuniform
29-Apr-2013, 20:50
It's Golden Engineering, I had the name wrong: http://www.goldenengineering.com/news.html

Bas de Meijer
4-May-2013, 06:59
Be also prepared for exploding motor capacitors ... All 3 of mine exploded and I had to fix the units and clean the mess out.

This is an interesting remark. I have recently bought a processor on ebay and recieved it today. It was shipped from the USA to The Netherlands. I tried to to power it up, but the fuses blow immediately when I connect the power cord. I hope (and think) it's only the wrong voltage and a converter will do. But I have heard a bang (not a big one), could this be the motor capacitor? I am not that electrician....

Amedeus
4-May-2013, 08:50
This is an interesting remark. I have recently bought a processor on ebay and recieved it today. It was shipped from the USA to The Netherlands. I tried to to power it up, but the fuses blow immediately when I connect the power cord. I hope (and think) it's only the wrong voltage and a converter will do. But I have heard a bang (not a big one), could this be the motor capacitor? I am not that electrician....

Bas,

A blowing fuse will case a small "bang" ... you applied 230VAC/50Hz on a 110VAC unit and that fuse will pop instantaneously. A step-down transformer may do the job but be aware that the AC grid in the Netherlands is 50Hz while the typical Polaroid processors are designed for 60Hz. Worst case the motor will run a bit slower (not sure about that as I'm in no position to try at the current time)

When the cap blows it is a load bang with smoke and some odor of burned oil.

I suggest to anyone picking one of these old units up to pro-emptively replace the oil-filled (non-PCB) motor start/run capacitor with a modern MP type cap (0.8uF at 450 VAC will do). It is a 15 minute exercise and prevents a lot more work and inconvenience.

YMMV

adelorenzo
4-May-2013, 17:03
There is a Golden unit on eBay right now with a film holder included. Bids are at $1200 with over a day to go!

Tin Can
4-May-2013, 17:09
I looked for the units on their website and their website is 2012, with no 8x10 listed...

There is a Golden unit on eBay right now with a film holder included. Bids are at $1200 with over a day to go!

Tin Can
4-May-2013, 17:14

Now I get it, golden MADE the Calumet manual units! Eureka!

Here's one, 251260946683

Ben Syverson
4-May-2013, 22:08
I have nothing against Golden or any eBay seller cashing in on the rush for 8x10 Polaroid processors, but this is getting ridiculous. A manual 8x10 instant processor is a set of rollers with a crank. It's an oversized pasta maker. For $1000? That could buy 10 Travelwides, or better yet, a plane ticket overseas! :)

If anyone needs a processor, look for a "slip roll." It's used in metalworking to bend sheet metal. You can get them for about $200 brand new. It looks like this:

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/412x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p41768.jpg
(Eastwood 12" Slip Roll)
(http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-12-inch-slip-roll.html)

If you have any doubt that they can run 8x10 instant film, check out this video from Bob Crowley and the 20x24 crew. They're using that Eastwood to run the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DChnStZXrE

They're doing a lot of other crazy stuff in that video too, but you get the idea.

Tin Can
4-May-2013, 23:16
My Eureka was meant as a joke. I think I need to be more forthwith my humor.

I saw that video some time ago.

I think we could do it with a rolling pin...

Ben Syverson
5-May-2013, 09:25
Oh, I know you weren't serious about the Golden/Calumet—I just needed to post so that anyone stumbling on the thread would have a lead on a processing solution, and wouldn't consider paying $1000 for two metal cylinders that rotate! :)

Tracy Storer
5-May-2013, 12:00
There IS a little more to it....and the Polaroid units actually WERE about $1000 new when last available.

Tin Can
5-May-2013, 12:10
I agree and people complain, worry about the cost of a good Polaroid 405 back..

But, in the end anyone shooting Fujiroid, IP and especially 8X10 IP will spend much more on film than even the highest price Fujiroid Processor.

I love my 405 with FujiFilm FP 3000, best thing ever for Mamiya RB, Horseman 2x3 and any 4x5.

I hope everybody has 3 of the currently worthless Polaroid 545i when new 4X5 Roid becomes available, as it will.

There IS a little more to it....and the Polaroid units actually WERE about $1000 new when last available.

adelorenzo
5-May-2013, 20:32
The problem is the film holders are even scarcer than the processors. Not sure if there are any DIY solutions for that.

Tin Can
5-May-2013, 20:37
And they rely on a wide strip of felt...

The problem is the film holders are even scarcer than the processors. Not sure if there are any DIY solutions for that.

Ben Syverson
5-May-2013, 21:13
The DIY method is shown in the video... Basically you load the negative into a normal holder, expose, then you need to tape the negative to the positive (in the dark) and cover it with an opaque paper sleeve. Then you run that whole thing through the rollers. Not ideal, but it's possible.

Tin Can
5-May-2013, 21:26
And I just threw away 5 8x10 Polaroid envelopes...

What kind of hoarder am I?

The DIY method is shown in the video... Basically you load the negative into a normal holder, expose, then you need to tape the negative to the positive (in the dark) and cover it with an opaque paper sleeve. Then you run that whole thing through the rollers. Not ideal, but it's possible.

Doug Howk
6-May-2013, 03:23
My only experience with the Polaroid processor was for printing from slides. A special easel that you insert the film holder, then expose with any enlarger. They were available back when Polaroid was still making film.

Renato Tonelli
6-May-2013, 06:48
My only experience with the Polaroid processor was for printing from slides. A special easel that you insert the film holder, then expose with any enlarger. They were available back when Polaroid was still making film.

That's how I used mine. I made a base with a slot to hold the film holder in place under the enlarger.

Tracy Storer
6-May-2013, 07:00
And they rely on a wide strip of felt...
I know you're being funny Randy, but actually it is VELVET used for the light trap and in fact, a lot of mills that used to run Velvet ribbon have gone out of business or stopped running it. I found this out a couple years ago shopping for velvet ribbon for light traps for other things.

adelorenzo
6-May-2013, 08:19
Well, there you go (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221221947151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649). $1500 for a Calumet (Golden) processor and one film holder. Gotta start saving my allowance. :)

adelorenzo
6-May-2013, 08:21

Sure, that works if you have access to the raw polaroid materials like those guys do and want to go through all that work to make your own film.

I was thinking more about a holder for the Impossible 8x10 film. I don't think there is any way to make that fit in a standard 8x10 film holder.

Tin Can
6-May-2013, 08:34
Bad news!

I hope the velvet in my just obtained 1/4 plate Zeiss Trona holds up for a while. My 3 SS holders velvet looks great, even the camera velvet appears usable. Time will tell. I have Tri-X on the way via APUG donation that will fit the film sheaths. I have never shot anything with velvet traps!

Well I did test some Polaroid 8x10 holders but my film was DOA.

I bought a big roll of felt tape to seal loose lensboards and that seems to work fine.

Now I am looking for velvet ribbon..

I know you're being funny Randy, but actually it is VELVET used for the light trap and in fact, a lot of mills that used to run Velvet ribbon have gone out of business or stopped running it. I found this out a couple years ago shopping for velvet ribbon for light traps for other things.

Ben Syverson
6-May-2013, 21:07
Sure, that works if you have access to the raw polaroid materials like those guys do and want to go through all that work to make your own film.

I was thinking more about a holder for the Impossible 8x10 film. I don't think there is any way to make that fit in a standard 8x10 film holder.
I think you could just remove the Impossible negative from its sleeve and load it into a standard 8x10 holder. Worst case you need to use scissors to trim the edges down to get it to load. Otherwise, it's pretty much a normal negative.

The tricky part is getting it aligned with the positive, which is why they have that crazy holder system. But if you know where it should go, you can just tape it to the positive like they do in the video.

SpeedGraphicMan
10-May-2013, 11:33
I only wish the Impossible Project was more interested creating a higher quality product and would drop all of that, "ooh it looks cool all smeared and scratched" If I have to pay that much per shot, I want it to look perfect and not look like some alternative process that I could whip up myself for a fraction of the cost!

Tin Can
10-May-2013, 11:41
It seems very expensive at $20 a sheet, but 8X10 film in not much cheaper after processing.

I agree it is too expensive for me.

I am gravitating to 5X7 as my prefered visualization format, camera weight and film cost.

I only wish the Impossible Project was more interested creating a higher quality product and would drop all of that, "ooh it looks cool all smeared and scratched" If I have to pay that much per shot, I want it to look perfect and not look like some alternative process that I could whip up myself for a fraction of the cost!

Ben Syverson
10-May-2013, 12:10
What makes you think they're not interested in creating a high quality product? The film has gotten better and better over just a few years. The new color material addresses several of the biggest complaints about the material, and they're improving it constantly. It's not like they have a bunch of people in tight jeans and oversized glasses coming up with new funky defects.

Tin Can
10-May-2013, 12:18
Lol

what makes you think they're not interested in creating a high quality product? The film has gotten better and better over just a few years. The new color material addresses several of the biggest complaints about the material, and they're improving it constantly. It's not like they have a bunch of people in tight jeans and oversized glasses coming up with new funky defects.

Bas de Meijer
11-May-2013, 06:31
Bas,

A blowing fuse will case a small "bang" ... you applied 230VAC/50Hz on a 110VAC unit and that fuse will pop instantaneously. A step-down transformer may do the job but be aware that the AC grid in the Netherlands is 50Hz while the typical Polaroid processors are designed for 60Hz. Worst case the motor will run a bit slower (not sure about that as I'm in no position to try at the current time)

When the cap blows it is a load bang with smoke and some odor of burned oil.

I suggest to anyone picking one of these old units up to pro-emptively replace the oil-filled (non-PCB) motor start/run capacitor with a modern MP type cap (0.8uF at 450 VAC will do). It is a 15 minute exercise and prevents a lot more work and inconvenience.

YMMV

Thanks for your reply (sorry for my late reply). I have ordered a converter form 350VAC to 110VAC (600W max). Unforntunally, the processor doesn't work :( I can't power it up. I hear no sound or something. So I don't think it's doing anything. Bigger problem is that I found out that the gearing wheel inside the processor that drives the wheels on the rollers is broken. Only 3/4 or 1/2 of the gearing wheel is inside, and to work properly it has to be 360 degrees round. Too bad. I have bought a processor for quite a lot of money that doesn't work (not to mention the trouble I have gotten with getting the package in The Netherlands).

Luckily I also have a hand cranked Calumet processor, that I bought with my Sinar.

Good remark on the pro-emptively replace the capacitor with a MP type. If I find a new processor, I will go to an electrical store and ask if they can sell me that.

Amedeus
12-May-2013, 11:51
Sorry to hear about the rollers, that is not an easy fix, you need to find another set of rollers ... they do pop up from time to time on the auction site

Did you replace the 3.5A fuse inside the unit ? I suspect that to be blown ...

Not sure about your convertor ... 350VAC to 110VAC doesn't make sense since I believe the AC power grid in your area to be 230 VAC ...

I carry the right MP cap most of the time in my drawers as I've by now fixed quite a few Polaroid processors ....

Bas de Meijer
13-May-2013, 00:17
Sorry to hear about the rollers, that is not an easy fix, you need to find another set of rollers ... they do pop up from time to time on the auction site

Did you replace the 3.5A fuse inside the unit ? I suspect that to be blown ...

Not sure about your convertor ... 350VAC to 110VAC doesn't make sense since I believe the AC power grid in your area to be 230 VAC ...

I carry the right MP cap most of the time in my drawers as I've by now fixed quite a few Polaroid processors ....

That is a typo, I have the 230 to 110 VAC converter :)

I have to check here the fuse is, I will get a replacement for it. Thanks.

Degroto
10-Jun-2013, 01:07
Good to hear about blowing fuses. I bought my processor 4 years ago as soon as I heard Impossible got the 8x10 machine. I got it for 25 euro's in Germany. With two holders and I already got a holder with my camera wich I bought a year earlier. I am about to buy my first pack of 8 x 10 film from IP.

And I see the Impossible project as a kind of crowdfunding thing. It is not perfect but by buying their imperfect film they get money to keep on perfecting their products. And that is fine by me. I don't buy a lot but from time to time I do get some. :)

Degroto
20-Jan-2014, 10:20
wel in the meantime I have blown the fuse. But I discovered it works without it as well. Now I have to start processing and shooting (in reversed order) some film.