PDA

View Full Version : Linhof DOF scales

ghoonk
8-Apr-2013, 04:03
Does anyone know where I can get a set of Linhof scales for the 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon MC and the Nikon 150mm f5.6 lenses for use on a Linhof Super Technika V? I've tried contacting Linhof but it's been over a week and I've had no replies.

I'm working on a night series and would like to be able to work with zone focusing since I can't actually see clearly what I'm shooting, and am hoping the scales will show me where the front standard needs to be for different apertures.

Bob Salomon
8-Apr-2013, 04:53
Linhof DOF scales on a Technika are on the Folding Focusing Hood.
Linhof diestance scales are available from Linhof service centers. 3 can fit on one Linhof stage on the camera's bed. If you have more then three lenses coupled to work on the camera then you will also need a second Linhof Scale Stage which is also available from the Linhof Service Centers.
Linhof never sold a 150mm Nikon so the scales they sell are based on Schneider and Rodenstock 150mm lenses. The scale for the 150mm lenses should also work with the Nikon lens.
Both of these lenses should be mounted on the Linhof 001015 recessed lens board for your camera. That way the 150 will be able to stay on the camera when it is closed and the 90 will be fully on the front rails of the focusing track.
Since the DOF scales are on the hood and not the bed they will not work quite the way you want.

ghoonk
8-Apr-2013, 07:17
Hi Bob - thanks for the quick reply!

I have the folding focusing hood and yes, there is a DOF table in there. The problem starts when I have no idea where the bed is when I want focus to be at 10ft (which, at f22, will give me A LOT of DOF). Focusing at infinity is one way to do it, but it just means that my near focus point is much further than if I had focused at 10ft.

focusing is turning out to be a real challenge at night, and being able to zone focus would be perfect. Are there any other ways to zone focus on the Linhof?

Bob Salomon
8-Apr-2013, 07:51
Hi Bob - thanks for the quick reply!

I have the folding focusing hood and yes, there is a DOF table in there. The problem starts when I have no idea where the bed is when I want focus to be at 10ft (which, at f22, will give me A LOT of DOF). Focusing at infinity is one way to do it, but it just means that my near focus point is much further than if I had focused at 10ft.

No, you would need a pair of infinity stops, properly installed and the focusing scales. Without properly installed infinity stops the focusing scale would not work. They are what tells you where to place the front standard for infinity focus with the lens they are set for.

focusing is turning out to be a real challenge at night, and being able to zone focus would be perfect. Are there any other ways to zone focus on the Linhof?

ghoonk
8-Apr-2013, 09:22
I got two sets of infinity stops and they are pretty much spot on. The one for the 150mm is around 1mm closer to the GG than infinity shows (based on me trying to focus on a subject around 1 mile away) which I plan to fix with a jeweler's screwdriver, and the 90 seems right now that I figured out how to slide the bed in to meet the rails inside the body.

I'd love to get the infinity stops properly installed, but there is no one in this part of the world who seems to know how to do that. I have searched online for the Linhof focusing test chart that you mentioned elsewhere (the one that you put up on a window at 15 ft) but have not been able to locate one. As such, the only way I know how to locate the position for infinity for the 90mm and 150mm is to focus on a subject that's a mile away, and then slide and lock down the infinity stop accordingly for each lens. I'm guessing that's getting me pretty close to where I need to be, give or take 0.5mm, unless the methodology is wrong to begin with

Bob Salomon
8-Apr-2013, 09:43
I got two sets of infinity stops and they are pretty much spot on. The one for the 150mm is around 1mm closer to the GG than infinity shows (based on me trying to focus on a subject around 1 mile away) which I plan to fix with a jeweler's screwdriver, and the 90 seems right now that I figured out how to slide the bed in to meet the rails inside the body.

I'd love to get the infinity stops properly installed, but there is no one in this part of the world who seems to know how to do that. I have searched online for the Linhof focusing test chart that you mentioned elsewhere (the one that you put up on a window at 15 ft) but have not been able to locate one. As such, the only way I know how to locate the position for infinity for the 90mm and 150mm is to focus on a subject that's a mile away, and then slide and lock down the infinity stop accordingly for each lens. I'm guessing that's getting me pretty close to where I need to be, give or take 0.5mm, unless the methodology is wrong to begin with

Each time you re-position the infinity stops you will leave small marks in the chrome rail from the points on the screws. So be careful, those marks do not come out.
The window chart is packaged with the Linhof camming package when it is not done at the factory or at a repair center. If I remember correctly it is done at 15' or so.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Apr-2013, 10:02
To clarify - you have the rangefinder.

Do you have the cams for these lenses and if you do, do they match the lenses?

Finding infinity with the rangefinder is not difficult if you have matched cams, and of course, a functional rangefinder. But lets settle first things first.

ghoonk
8-Apr-2013, 23:05
Each time you re-position the infinity stops you will leave small marks in the chrome rail from the points on the screws. So be careful, those marks do not come out.
The window chart is packaged with the Linhof camming package when it is not done at the factory or at a repair center. If I remember correctly it is done at 15' or so.

I bought the camera used, and they were already installed. not much I can do about that, but I'd rather live with two small pock marks than to not have my lenses set correctly at infinity. Infinity stops in the wrong position are just about useless to me.

From what you mention about the camming package, I'm guessing they don't sell it separately then. I have the rangefinder, the images don't line up perfectly, so I suspect horizontal alignment is a little off. Not sure how to get that sorted, but I doubt it requires a full disassembly of the rangefinder unit.

@Jac - The 150mm cam I have matches up to the serial number of the lens :)

EvaV
12-Apr-2013, 04:06
Hi,

I am a beginner in LF world and got my first Linhof Super Technica few days ago. According to Bob it seems to be SuperTechnica V.
It came with two lenses - Linhof Symmar-S 150mm f/5,6 and Scheider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 75mm f/5,6

Despite the fact that seller told it to be "with coupled rangefinder and in working order" now it turned out that it does not have matching cams. As I would like to use rangefinder when shooting, I am really confused now what I should look for - cams for both lenses, distance scales (I have it installed for 150mm).... or is there something else missing?

I understand that the cams and lenses should have matching serial numbers but if I buy just cams and distance scales eg. from ebay for 150mm and 75mm lenses, what else should I do in order to make my camera work properly?

How big problem can it be when one "window/glass" of the rangefinder is broken?

Thank you for you help in advance,
Eva

Bob Salomon
12-Apr-2013, 04:46
Hi,

I am a beginner in LF world and got my first Linhof Super Technica few days ago. According to Bob it seems to be SuperTechnica V.
It came with two lenses - Linhof Symmar-S 150mm f/5,6 and Scheider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 75mm f/5,6

Despite the fact that seller told it to be "with coupled rangefinder and in working order" now it turned out that it does not have matching cams. As I would like to use rangefinder when shooting, I am really confused now what I should look for - cams for both lenses, distance scales (I have it installed for 150mm).... or is there something else missing?

I understand that the cams and lenses should have matching serial numbers but if I buy just cams and distance scales eg. from ebay for 150mm and 75mm lenses, what else should I do in order to make my camera work properly?

How big problem can it be when one "window/glass" of the rangefinder is broken?

Thank you for you help in advance,
Eva

1: The 105mm will not cover 45. You have a Super Technika 45. This lens is the normal lens for a 23 camera and will only cover roll film on your camera.
2: To use the rangefinder you need a camming package for each lens that you want coupled to the rangefinder. A camming package consists of the proper cam, cut to the specific lens by serial number. Installation of the properly positioned Infinity Stops for the cammed lens. Installation of the correct Focus Scale for the specific lens.
The above camming is done either by a Linhof Service Station or at the factory. A new cam will not help you unless it is properly ground for your lens and has the serial number of your lens stamped on the top of the cam.

If your rangefinder window is cracked then there is a very good chance that your camera needs to be repaired and since it is so old, a professional CLA. Since you also need camming you should just pack it all up and send it out for a proper service to either the service center closest to you or to the factory in Germany.

EvaV
12-Apr-2013, 05:13
1: The 105mm will not cover 45. You have a Super Technika 45. This lens is the normal lens for a 23 camera and will only cover roll film on your camera.

Sorry, did you mean 150mm or 105mm, as I have got a 150mm lens. Or is the situation with 150mm lens even worse?
What kind of lenses are most reasonable for that format?

SergeiR
12-Apr-2013, 05:55
1: The 105mm will not cover 45.

Sorry, Bob. I beg to differ. I have 105/2.8 Technikon that covers 4x5 just fine on normal distances, even wide open, and covers it at infinity when closed down. No movements, sure, but other than that - it works.

(it was like my 8th shot on 4x5, had no clue how to process it evenly back then, and there were some really stormy clouds too :))
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5024/5724504311_077c42c5b9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergeistudio/5724504311/)
Stockyards (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergeistudio/5724504311/) by Sergei Rodionov (http://www.flickr.com/people/sergeistudio/), on Flickr)

SergeiR
12-Apr-2013, 05:56
Sorry, did you mean 150mm or 105mm, as I have got a 150mm lens. Or is the situation with 150mm lens even worse?
What kind of lenses are most reasonable for that format?

Tere..

Here is link you might consider reading.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

EvaV
12-Apr-2013, 06:03
Tere..

Here is link you might consider reading.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

Tere :)
and thanks for the link, it seems to be really good and informative. Quite a lot of studying for the weekend:)

EvaV
12-Apr-2013, 06:38
2: To use the rangefinder you need a camming package for each lens that you want coupled to the rangefinder. A camming package consists of the proper cam, cut to the specific lens by serial number. Installation of the properly positioned Infinity Stops for the cammed lens. Installation of the correct Focus Scale for the specific lens.
The above camming is done either by a Linhof Service Station or at the factory. A new cam will not help you unless it is properly ground for your lens and has the serial number of your lens stamped on the top of the cam.

If your rangefinder window is cracked then there is a very good chance that your camera needs to be repaired and since it is so old, a professional CLA. Since you also need camming you should just pack it all up and send it out for a proper service to either the service center closest to you or to the factory in Germany.

Thank you for the reply. Do you/or anyone else have any idea/experience what might be the approximate cost for camming and rangefinder repair in Linhof factory (as we do not have any Linhof service center here in Estonia)?

Bob Salomon
12-Apr-2013, 09:58
Thank you for the reply. Do you/or anyone else have any idea/experience what might be the approximate cost for camming and rangefinder repair in Linhof factory (as we do not have any Linhof service center here in Estonia)?

You would have to check with them.

ghoonk
13-Apr-2013, 12:15
EvaV, I'm really intrigued by the 75mm lens that you have. I just got my hands on a Nikon SW 75mm f4.5 but it's on a flat board. A check online reveals that the 75mm lenses require a 20mm recessed board in Copal 0 to be able to use the front rails for focusing. The alternative is to get a lensboard for the Linhof 23 and use it with the wide angle focusing device, which I have, and now turns out that it's easier to get the focusing device than the lenboard for it.

If you don't mind me asking, how is your 75mm lens mounted, and how do you use it on the Super Technika?

Bob Salomon
13-Apr-2013, 12:18
No, to use a 75mm you need the 001015 recessed Comfort board. It has a 12mm recess but since it is the Comfort board all of the controls are on the front, flat face of the board.

EvaV, I'm really intrigued by the 75mm lens that you have. I just got my hands on a Nikon SW 75mm f4.5 but it's on a flat board. A check online reveals that the 75mm lenses require a 20mm recessed board in Copal 0 to be able to use the front rails for focusing. The alternative is to get a lensboard for the Linhof 23 and use it with the wide angle focusing device, which I have, and now turns out that it's easier to get the focusing device than the lenboard for it.

If you don't mind me asking, how is your 75mm lens mounted, and how do you use it on the Super Technika?

Jac@stafford.net
13-Apr-2013, 12:51
Sorry, Bob. I beg to differ. I have 105/2.8 Technikon that covers 4x5 just fine on normal distances, even wide open, and covers it at infinity when closed down. No movements, sure, but other than that - it works.

Technikon?

Bob Salomon
13-Apr-2013, 13:15
Make a picture on 45? Yes, cover 45? No. The edges and corners do not hold up on the shot you included. Since there is no important information on these edges and corners it works. Do another shot with the edges and corners in sharp focus with full details out there and I don't think it will be even close to what you get at the center portion of the film.

(it was like my 8th shot on 4x5, had no clue how to process it evenly back then, and there were some really stormy clouds too :))
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5024/5724504311_077c42c5b9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergeistudio/5724504311/)
Stockyards (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergeistudio/5724504311/) by Sergei Rodionov (http://www.flickr.com/people/sergeistudio/), on Flickr)

Brian Ellis
13-Apr-2013, 18:26

FWIW when I asked the former U.S. Linhof service person about grinding a cam for my 150mm lens the cost was something like $300 and that was at least ten years ago. I didn't think the price was unfair since as Bob has pointed out there's more to it than simply grinding a cam. But since I almost never used the rangefinder I took a chance and bought a cam for the 150mm lens on ebay. It seemed to me to work fine. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe depth of field cured any minor focusing problems or maybe I wasn't critical enough, I don't know.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Apr-2013, 18:50
I am guessing that they measure the exact focal length (all are different) and computer-machine cut the cam to that profile.
That is not worth $300, but since only they do it, yer screwed.

ghoonk
13-Apr-2013, 22:50
No, to use a 75mm you need the 001015 recessed Comfort board. It has a 12mm recess but since it is the Comfort board all of the controls are on the front, flat face of the board.

The 12mm? Right, time to get my hands on the correct board - I put in an order for a 20mm recessed board on eBay just to make sure that it would give me enough working space on the rail. The original Linhof ones are $540! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31360-REG/Linhof_001015_Recessed_Lensboard_with_Quicksocket.html

So frustrating trying to get my hands on the correct board for wide angle lenses!

Bob Salomon
14-Apr-2013, 02:27
I am guessing that they measure the exact focal length (all are different) and computer-machine cut the cam to that profile.
That is not worth $300, but since only they do it, yer screwed.

No, they hand cut the curve with a file on a bench.

Bob Salomon
14-Apr-2013, 02:29
The 12mm? Right, time to get my hands on the correct board - I put in an order for a 20mm recessed board on eBay just to make sure that it would give me enough working space on the rail. The original Linhof ones are $540! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31360-REG/Linhof_001015_Recessed_Lensboard_with_Quicksocket.html

So frustrating trying to get my hands on the correct board for wide angle lenses!

No reason for it to be frustrating. You need either the current 001015 or the older 001015 recessed board. The 12mm recessed board is one of the most common Linhof boards made. Although it is impossible to find the current version, the 001015 Comfort board used.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Apr-2013, 06:18

It is always a good idea to put a WTB in the classified section. I gave a comfort board with quik-socket just a couple months ago to an APUG chap in dire need. I might have another. Will check today.

Bob S: No, they hand cut the curve with a file on a bench.

I am impressed! Thanks, Bob!

--
Jac - divesting the gear

Bob Salomon
14-Apr-2013, 06:24
It is always a good idea to put a WTB in the classified section. I gave a comfort board with quik-socket just a couple months ago to an APUG chap in dire need. I might have another. Will check today.

I am impressed! Thanks, Bob!
I don't think that you had a Comfort board. That board comes with sets of aperture scales that mount to the front of the board along with an aperture control mechanism, a press focus control and a short, flexible, screw in cable release connector that screw into the shutter. Also included, of course, is the mandatory 90 degree flash synch post for the shutter.
--
Jac - divesting the gear

Jac@stafford.net
14-Apr-2013, 06:54
You are right again, Bob. I had only the earlier 001015 without all the controls on the board.

EvaV
14-Apr-2013, 08:26

I think I had this lens mounted on recessed board but not sure which type. Unfortunately I do not have the camera anymore. As this camera had too many issues I returned it to the seller.
During this short time I had the camera in my hands, I really started to like the concept and now I am looking for a decent set of SuperTechnica V or better which is in good condition.
Meanwhile I have to use my Ernemann :)

ghoonk
16-Apr-2013, 00:22

Great! If you have one more, I'd be happy to buy one off you. I'm also looking for the lensboard for the 2x3 Linhof in Copal 0, seeing that it would work with the Linhof Wide Angle Focusing Device that I have but never got a chance to use :(

Thanks!

ghoonk
16-Apr-2013, 00:24
Bob, the lens board you mentioned is insanely expensive. I just need something to get my 75mm up and running. I have the wide angle focusing device and the 2x3 lensboards are harder to find than unicorn poo :(

Robert Opheim
20-Apr-2013, 16:35
There is another not so expensive way to focus at night. Use a flashlight at your nearest in focus area pointing back at the camera - then at your furthest point that you want in focus - then stop down until the light from the flash lights come into focus. I have found that often there is something at infinity to focus on, which allow me to only use the flashlight for the foreground point. Years ago I painted in a building at night using a flash at points around the building with the aperture open for 30 or 40 minutes - I focused the camera this way.

Bob Salomon
20-Apr-2013, 16:55
Bob, the lens board you mentioned is insanely expensive. I just need something to get my 75mm up and running. I have the wide angle focusing device and the 2x3 lensboards are harder to find than unicorn poo :(

What you are trying to do won't work. The 72mm to 150mm (except for the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon) all work properly on the 001015 board. The 45 to 65mm lenses used to work the way you are trying. Today that system is no longer available and the 35 to 65mm lenses now use special lensboards with helical focusing mounts for each lens.

If you had a Technikardan rather then a Technika then you would not need the 001015 board for most of the lenses.

ghoonk
21-Apr-2013, 04:45
No reason for it to be frustrating. You need either the current 001015 or the older 001015 recessed board. The 12mm recessed board is one of the most common Linhof boards made. Although it is impossible to find the current version, the 001015 Comfort board used.

I'm getting mixed feedback from the internet. Some links say that the 001015 board is a 20mm recessed board, others say it's 12mm. I have a 20mm coming in, and I'm fine just parking the front standard further away from the film plane by 8mm since I don't have any focusing scales. I just need to get it up and running.

The 001015 is such a hard board to find used. New, it costs $569 from B&H :(

ghoonk
21-Apr-2013, 04:48
What you are trying to do won't work. The 72mm to 150mm (except for the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon) all work properly on the 001015 board. The 45 to 65mm lenses used to work the way you are trying. Today that system is no longer available and the 35 to 65mm lenses now use special lensboards with helical focusing mounts for each lens.

If you had a Technikardan rather then a Technika then you would not need the 001015 board for most of the lenses.

Agreed, the Technikardan is the way to go for wide angle. I'm quite satisfied to get the 75 working on my ST-V, so it looks like a recessed board is the way to go. There are a couple of eBay sellers for helical mounts with the wider lenses, but I will still have the bed drop to contend with, so I'm staying away from that problem :)

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2013, 05:45
Agreed, the Technikardan is the way to go for wide angle. I'm quite satisfied to get the 75 working on my ST-V, so it looks like a recessed board is the way to go. There are a couple of eBay sellers for helical mounts with the wider lenses, but I will still have the bed drop to contend with, so I'm staying away from that problem :)

There is also the drop bed problem on any Technika, except the Master Technika 3000, with 75mm and 72mm lenses when the back is in portrait position and the bed is dropped all the way down and the front standard is raised all the way up. You will still have a bit of the bed in the image area. You can prevent this by putting the back in landscape position and turning the camera to vertical when you want a portrait format with a 75mm and shorter.