PDA

View Full Version : A lighter tripod

nightbringer
6-Apr-2013, 22:11
I'm looking for a lightweight tripod that can support a Super Graphic or a Mamiya RB67 (I have both).
In the past, I was using a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 carbon fibre tripod, which has served me well in the past. I recently picked up an old Gitzo G500 tripod with a 3-way pano head, which I've been using for shooting with my MF and LF cameras. However, it is incredibly heavy and not really conducive to lugging around with me on locations when I want to go landscaping or shooting environmental portraits.

I've been using the RRS BH-55, great head, and I wanted to know if there were any good recommendations for other legs that are both lightweight but at the same time strong enough to support the camera without introducing additional shake. The Manfrotto wasn't suitable for anything larger than 35mm as I started seeing shake in photos when I was shooting with the MF.

Tin Can
6-Apr-2013, 22:20
I was recently reading Barry Thornton's 'Edge of Darkness'. He says get the biggest and heaviest tripod. Little things wiggle. I never use my little tripods, basically junk for bigger film cameras. IMHO. There is no free lunch. I also use a cheap lightweight Costco dolly to move everything, no backpack for me.

High Iso digital cams with optical and electronic vibration reduction don't even need tripods.

Leszek Vogt
6-Apr-2013, 23:32
I've been using Feisol (forgot the model #) for over a year and it's sturdy and light enough for hikes. I like the 3-leg stability and without the middle column. It's a carbon-fiber and only weights 4.8lbs....and the best part, that it matches my over 6' height. As to cost, you can expect to pay around 50-60% what you'd pay for Gitzo. You can always add to the stability by attaching a sand bag, bricks, etc. from the hook that comes with it. Anyhoo, so far so good...

Les

Brian Ellis
7-Apr-2013, 11:43
I've been using Feisol (forgot the model #) for over a year and it's sturdy and light enough for hikes. I like the 3-leg stability and without the middle column. It's a carbon-fiber and only weights 4.8lbs....and the best part, that it matches my over 6' height. As to cost, you can expect to pay around 50-60% what you'd pay for Gitzo. You can always add to the stability by attaching a sand bag, bricks, etc. from the hook that comes with it. Anyhoo, so far so good...

Les

My views are the opposite, use the lightest tripod you can get away with as long as it doesn't collapse under the weight of the camera and as long as it seems to be sturdy enough (based on looking at the photographs you made while using it). I have a Feisol 410 that I used with a Tachihara 4x5 and it did fine. I also have an old Gitzo aluminum tripod that I think was made for medium format cameras but that I used with my 8x10 Deardorff and it was fine too.

The worst tripod you can buy is a big, bulky, heavy tripod that's so uncomfortable to carry that you tend to leave it at home.

Brian Ellis
7-Apr-2013, 11:45
I was recently reading Barry Thornton's 'Edge of Darkness'. He says get the biggest and heaviest tripod. Little things wiggle. I never use my little tripods, basically junk for bigger film cameras. IMHO. There is no free lunch. I also use a cheap lightweight Costco dolly to move everything, no backpack for me.

High Iso digital cams with optical and electronic vibration reduction don't even need tripods.

My views are the opposite, use the lightest tripod you can get away with as long as it doesn't collapse under the weight of the camera and as long as it seems to be sturdy enough (based on looking at the photographs you made while using it). I have a Feisol 410 that I used with a Tachihara 4x5 and it did fine. I also have an old Gitzo aluminum tripod that I think was made for medium format cameras but that I used with my 8x10 Deardorff and it was fine too.

The worst tripod you can buy is a big, bulky, heavy tripod that's so uncomfortable to carry that you tend to leave it at home. Obviously different people have different comfort levels.

nightbringer
7-Apr-2013, 19:15
I'll have to look into some of them Feisol ones then, I've been hearing good things about them and if I can find one that's easier to carry around but still able to hold a 4x5 or a medium format camera stable at the same time that would be really good.

I'll probably have to get another RRS head too ...

Tin Can
7-Apr-2013, 19:32
Since I never go far from a vehicle, motorcycle or van, I do prefer heavier tripods. I can't walk anywhere very far, even empty handed.

I really want a tripod on top of the van, ala Ansel, but getting up and down could be disaster, for me.

Maybe I need a better ladder, might be just the thing for urban shooting, way up there on the van's roof...far from the maddening crowd. Maybe a hoist.

Come to think of it, I was stuck sleeping in a zero gravity chair for about 2 years, and I had a giant Linhof tripod set up as brace and hand hold to get out of the chair and into the wheelchair. Now, I have been wheelchair free for 4 months, and I forgot all about how handy that giant tripod was. I could even use it for shooting.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2013, 19:42
I was recently reading Barry Thornton's 'Edge of Darkness'. He says get the biggest and heaviest tripod. Little things wiggle.

Indeed he did, on page 64 and on 65 he has some remarkable demonstrations. The light tripod fared worse than hand-held in a couple cases, and although he used an SLR we can benefit because in the field there is wind and in some cases, ground tremor (for example, in a city). I'm almost too old to schlep my heaviest wooden tripod. Sucks to get old, but the alternative is worse.

I also have strident opinions regarding cable releases - most modern 'stout' releases will actually push the camera. Old, long, fragile fabric covered releases are better, but nobody want to make 'em for perceived-image reasons: in other words, impressionistic reasons, and not reason itself.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2013, 19:53
Since I never go far from a vehicle, motorcycle or van, I do prefer heavier tripods. I can't walk anywhere very far, even empty handed.

I really want a tripod on top of the van, ala Ansel, but getting up and down could be disaster, for me.

Sorry to learn that. Perhaps a startup venture would be in order.

Maybe I need a better ladder, might be just the thing for urban shooting, way up there on the van's roof...far from the maddening crowd. Maybe a hoist.

Way up there might amplify ground vibration.

Come to think of it, I was stuck sleeping in a zero gravity chair for about 2 years, and I had a giant Linhof tripod set up as brace and hand hold to get out of the chair and into the wheelchair. Now, I have been wheelchair free for 4 months, and I forgot all about how handy that giant tripod was. I could even use it for shooting.

Oh, my man, that is very disturbing. I am sure you are already familiar with 'pod mounts for wheel chairs so I shall defer. Again, maybe a startup enterprise is in order.

--
Jac - recovering from a second brain trauma (here is the first (http://www.digoliardi.net/crash.jpg) -smiling nonetheless) in four years due to a bike crash. I can't stand the doctors' orders to give up bicycling. This time I can still walk without months of recovery, at least until/if the cranial bleeding starts up again. Be well. You seem to have extraordinary spirit. May it grow.

Tin Can
7-Apr-2013, 19:54
Old, long, fragile fabric covered releases are better, but nobody want so make 'em for image reasons.

Last month some guy in LA was eBaying packs of 10 NOS German made old short cable releases for under $10, I got a pack of 10 and when I saw them, I bought 10 more. Very nice old cable releases, brand new. I now have plenty. These are short, and I am looking for a bunch of long ones...

Tin Can
7-Apr-2013, 19:58
@Jac, we do what we have to do. Now I may rid myself of a Sinar P because it is built for mostly right hand usage. Focusing is very painful. My Horseman monorail works great left or right handed.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2013, 20:27
@Jac, we do what we have to do. Now I may rid myself of a Sinar P because it is built for mostly right hand usage. Focusing is very painful. My Horseman monorail works great left or right handed.

Yah, I hear you. I have handicaps of my hands due to ulnar neuropathy from bike-riding, and shop accidents including a thumb amputation. To that end I make up grips when I can. Can't think of anything that would help with a Sinar P. So I gather that the Horseman has left and right wheels for adjustments?

Just now I finished left and right universal Linhof anatomical grips adapted from an aerial camera. 3/8" and 1/4" mounts for the DIY person. Watch that monster auction site.

I'm thinking that given the number of us beat-up Olde Phartes, we might want to have a section for manual assists for large format users.

It's bed time for me. Take care!

Tin Can
7-Apr-2013, 20:39
Horseman 'L' cameras can be set up either left or right, no big deal. A Sinar can do it, but everything becomes kinda odd, and bellows draw is messed up.

I don't ride bicycles anymore, a motorcycle is actually far easier. Obviously no peddling and once you are moving it is just smoother. Last Spring I would carry crutches on a tiny Honda scooter. As a lifelong rider, I was determined to ride again. I don't ride much or far, but every mile is pure pleasure. Then I stop and shoot a picture.

Yah, I hear you. I have handicaps of my hands due to ulnar neuropathy from bike-riding, and shop accidents including a thumb amputation. To that end I make up grips when I can. Can't think of anything that would help with a Sinar P. So I gather that the Horseman has left and right wheels for adjustments?

Just now I finished left and right universal Linhof anatomical grips adapted from an aerial camera. 3/8" and 1/4" mounts for the DIY person. Watch that monster auction site.

I'm thinking that given the number of us beat-up Olde Phartes, we might want to have a section for manual assists for large format users.

It's bed time for me. Take care!

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2013, 21:23
I don't ride bicycles anymore, a motorcycle is actually far easier.

I had to give up motorcycles when enough damage was done and reflexes failed in 1996. I rode for over thirty years, and built several from the ground-up. Here is the last one of the ground-up type, built over a three-year period before there were blister-packed packages - IOW, by my own hand and from found parts. It is my 1946, 1956, 1966 Harley Big Twin. :)

His name was Butcher Boy. Now relegated to some unappreciative perp in Chicago.

Tin Can
7-Apr-2013, 21:38
Nice bike, I have had too many to count. I had to give up my Sportster, too painful to ride, clutch pull and arthritis aggravated by heavy vibration. Now I have a Honda enduro, street legal dirt bike, that makes short work of potholes and speed bumps.

Most likely I will put gas in it tomorrow. I keep it in the darkroom!

I had to give up motorcycles when enough damage was done and reflexes failed in 1996. I rode for over thirty years, and built several from the ground-up. Here is the last one of the ground-up type, built over a three-year period before there were blister-packed packages - IOW, by my own hand and from found parts. It is my 1946, 1956, 1966 Harley Big Twin. :)

His name was Butcher Boy. Now relegated to some unappreciative perp in Chicago.

Curt
7-Apr-2013, 21:51

Does she have a sister?