PDA

View Full Version : Success! First use of Jobo 2500 tank with 4x5

Steve J Murray
30-May-2004, 20:52
Just letting folks know how my first run of developing 4x5 black and white turned out using the smaller 2500 series tank that holds one 2509n 4x5 sheet film holder. I loaded it with two sheets of Tri-X and two sheets of Tmax (in a changing bag without the special loader with no problems).

I used 700cc of a home brew similar to Xtol 1:3 (modified Pat Gainer's Vit C/phenidone with added sodium sulfite). I rotated the tank by hand on a set of casters fastened to a board. I used a rate of about 30 tank revolutions per minute, changing direction every 15 seconds. I did a two minute pre-soak. Developing time was 9 min. at 72 degrees F. This was very effortless and did not cause any wrist strain. I alternated hands to turn the tank at a nice easy pace.

The negs are drying now. They appear evenly developed, even in the sky areas. I don't see any extra edge density at this point, which some people apparently get with this tank system.

I have done many hundreds of sheets in trays and tanks. I like this method because it is done in daylight, and film handling is minimal.

BTW, I picked up this tank and the larger one with two 2509n holders for $30 used. It works great! I highly recommend this method. Don't get the film loader, you don't need it. I don't even think a motorized drum turner is necessary either.

Steve Murray

Ron Bose
30-May-2004, 20:59
Good on ya Steve,

I used my Expert 3010 drum with the CPP processor for the first time. I know have ten 4x5 sheets hanging to dry !!

Hey, when you dumped the water after a pre-soak, was it an inky-blue ? Or clear ??

Cheers, Ron

L.V. Smith
30-May-2004, 21:29
Steve: I use the same tank but do six at a time with D76H, 1:1. I have thought of the way you did it because of the savings on developer. Why did you choose 700 ml? For rotation I believe Jobo recommends 270 ml. How consistent do you believe you can be with turning the tank that way? Smitty

Steve J Murray
30-May-2004, 21:53
Hi Smitty,

I was using a pretty dilute type developer. The tank easily holds 700ml on its side. I just wanted to make sure the developer did not get exhauseted. I can put 6 negs in, but I only had 4 at this time. 270ml is not much developer if it is diluted. Kodak recommends a certain amount of pure developer per amount of film. Check their website. It never hurts to have too much. Too little will cause inconsistent underdevelopment.

The hand rotation method I used I have no doubt would be pretty easily repeated. I was watching the graylab timer and I was going at a very natural pace. After doing many batches of sheet film by hand in a tray, this seemed much more precise. I kind of like the "hands on" feel. I had a Unidrum and moter drive a while back and hated the thing. It was noisy and I had trouble getting even development with the Unidrum with film. The Jobo seems well researched and developed.

ronald moravec
30-May-2004, 22:18
You may also fill with 1400cc and use inversion system. I do this sometimes although I have the Jobo CPA for continuous. I must admit it works great

L.V. Smith
31-May-2004, 08:28
Steve: I agree with the more is better for developer. I was just passing along the amount that Jobo has on the tank. The inversion amount on my tank says 1500 ml not 1400. I fill the thing up. I am like you, and believe in plenty of developer. I use Kodak all the time, and have all the tech sheets. One of the problems I have heard on the Jobo system if you are using their motors, etc is they will work with the amounts they recommend but if more solution is used there can be a problem down the road with the equipment not being able to handle the extra solution above their recommendation. This may or may not be true? This has been one of the things as is price that has kept me from buying the automated system. I load 6, usually from a Grafmatic, and use the inversion process. Although I use much more developer, I have had great success in my method. I set the tank in water so the bottom of the red lid is just above the temperate water, and use Kodak's recommendation for development of my film. Cost over time even with the added volume of developer would not justify me buying the system. Only the consistency would which is what prompt my original question. Smitty

Nick_3536
31-May-2004, 08:56
That's why I suggest a motorbase for B&W and not a processor. The motors are almost free on the used market and can handle quite a bit of developer. The only downside is you need to use a tank big enough to not fall off the rollers.

L.V. Smith
31-May-2004, 14:50
Where do you find them Nick?

Nick_3536
31-May-2004, 16:00
The Beseler motorbases are on Ebay almost everyday. I guess some of the retail photo shops might have some in the used departments. Figure something between $10 and $30 including shipping. Ask if it reverses direction.

L.V. Smith
31-May-2004, 17:29
Thanks Nick Smitty

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
1-Jun-2004, 03:33
Ron. My pre-wash water is blue tinted after a three minue wash in my Jobo CPP2 with 3010 Drum. Congratulations. Stan.

Steve J Murray
1-Jun-2004, 10:38
Oh yeah, Ron, if you didn't get my email, my prewash was purplish/blue as well.

Steve