PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made a focusing hood?

Noah B
3-Apr-2013, 18:51
I've been curious about focusing hoods for view cameras, like on the old crown graphics. Anyone ever rigged up one of these from found materials?

Jon Shiu
3-Apr-2013, 18:59
Some people attach the bag bellows on the back of Sinar to view.

Jon

LaurentB
3-Apr-2013, 23:33
I've been curious about focusing hoods for view cameras, like on the old crown graphics. Anyone ever rigged up one of these from found materials?

The French forum has this article, I promised myself I'd build this hood sometime... http://www.galerie-photo.com/construire-viseur-chambre-arca.html

EdSawyer
4-Apr-2013, 06:50
They are nice hoods, but more complex than they might appear. Finding one from a Graphic and adapting it to whatever back you are using is probably easiest. Or, get the whole ground glass panel and hood from a Graphic and use it on your graflok back... ?

Neal Chaves
4-Apr-2013, 07:13
I made a focusing hood for my Toyo 8X10 with wet suit neoprene glued to an aircraft plywood frame. When I had Linhof, I had a dive shop duplicate the bad material in a Linhof monocular viewer from thin neoprene. Cost only a few dollars and was much better than the original. There is a post about that Toyo viewer on this site somewhere.

jp
4-Apr-2013, 07:18
Since I mostly use a speed graphic, I like built in hoods and it saves me from using a darkcloth 90% of the time. I would probably not use a LF camera much if it always required a darkcloth! When I actually need a darkcloth (such as small apertures or sun in the wrong place) I just use my jacket or take my shirt off and use that.

If your camera has a graflex compatible back you could probably use a graflex metal hood/groundglass.

If not, Hoodman makes new folding sunshades for LCD monitors (such as would be used on video cameras / dslr video in the field) Get the right size and velcro it to your camera back.

If you want to DIY, I'd be tempted to build a "chimney" like used on the graflex RB SLRs, but use it horizontally. They'd fold up into about the size of a film holders.

Tin Can
4-Apr-2013, 09:30
I like the French design.

I will, one day make a 5X7 and 8X10 as 2X3 and 4X5 as easily found. I think we need front surface mirrors...Edmonds would be a great source.

Thanks!

The French forum has this article, I promised myself I'd build this hood sometime... http://www.galerie-photo.com/construire-viseur-chambre-arca.html

Brian Ellis
4-Apr-2013, 09:40
I made one out of a shoe box and electrical tape. It was simple to do and worked fine but I didn't like using it or any other viewing hood (I also used one sold by Robert White on an Ebony camera). Those things made me feel like I was using a viewfinder on a 35mm camera rather than a LF camera.

Nathan Smith
4-Apr-2013, 10:50
I've been thinking about this too so after reading your post I looked around on the web.
I didn't find what I was looking for but these are interesting:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/76160-diy-focusing-shade-prototype.html
http://www.graflex.org/articles/view-hood/
http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/LFN/ReflexFinders1.html

nonuniform
4-Apr-2013, 16:20
Speaking of focusing hood, my Technika V is missing the hood. I've seen a few cheap knockoffs on eBay, but wondering if anyone else has tried one?

Tin Can
4-Apr-2013, 16:35
I bought a knock-off for a Horseman 4X5 HD, $95.00. Looks like it was made for it. I only have 50's Linhof and they are much different.

Speaking of focusing hood, my Technika V is missing the hood. I've seen a few cheap knockoffs on eBay, but wondering if anyone else has tried one?

Noah B
5-Apr-2013, 16:27
The chamonix hood looks perfect! I wonder if it'll fit a shen hao TFC45-IIB, 16 is steep for their branded folding hood.

Ian Gordon Bilson
7-Apr-2013, 02:56
Yes,I made one for my Horseman LB, after failing to convince my "Better Half" (spouse),that I should spend a fortune on the Folding Binocular Viewer.
It involves a thin mirror,a holding frame made with some plastic molding,an application of hot glue,some black material,and a Close Up dioptre lens- strength unknown but available to anyone curious enough to ask.
It has 90% of the functionality of the original,and cost me $5.00 for the mirror,and nothing for the other bits.
Is it ugly? As ugly as a lipsticked Pig.
Does it work? Yup.

Tin Can
7-Apr-2013, 05:02
Since I love Horseman, Ian, I would love a pic or two of your hood. I need to make one also!

Thanks! Don't be shy!

Ian Gordon Bilson
8-Apr-2013, 22:44
Randy,I'll see what I can do.
And to any pigs out there (Winston Churchill considered them" Noble Animals",more intelligent than dogs..my apologies.
But,a working prototype only needs to work,right?..right?...

Tin Can
8-Apr-2013, 22:45
Right!

Randy,I'll see what I can do.
And to any pigs out there (Winston Churchill considered them" Noble Animals",more intelligent than dogs..my apologies.
But,a working prototype only needs to work,right?..right?...

Ian Gordon Bilson
27-Apr-2013, 22:53
I am better at the forums core activity than posting images here. Sheesh.
I'll leave it to R.Moe to upload to the group.
As a prototype,it works well.
+4 diopter works well for a 4x5in back.

Leonard Evens
28-Apr-2013, 13:27
I've always used a dark t-sirt. The neck goes over the rear standard and I stick my head in through the other end. If necessary I can stick my arms through the armholes to reach controls.

Tin Can
28-Apr-2013, 22:14
Here are Ian Bilson's images of his DIY viewing hood. I will be making something like it.

Thanks Ian!

I am better at the forums core activity than posting images here. Sheesh.
I'll leave it to R.Moe to upload to the group.
As a prototype,it works well.
+4 diopter works well for a 4x5in back.

Ian Gordon Bilson
28-Apr-2013, 23:01
Leonard,I have several black Tshirts,and a focus cloth. But,there are times,especially during setup,when I just want the image right side up,albeit reversed left-to-right.
It makes adjusting for perfect levels and composition so; intuitive.
Then,back to the loupe and black cloth for fine focus,and all the minute bits that "bendycams" allow.

Ian Gordon Bilson
28-Apr-2013, 23:03
Thanks for posting for me Randy.
One day,when I'm all grown up,I'm gonna get it this stuff down. Yep.

Tin Can
28-Apr-2013, 23:06
I only recently got it right myself.

:)

Thanks for posting for me Randy.
One day,when I'm all grown up,I'm gonna get it this stuff down. Yep.