PDA

View Full Version : New LF'er

jharr
2-Apr-2013, 14:10
Hey everyone. My name is James and I am a film addict. I started taking photos 30 years ago in my teens with my dad's Nikkormat FTn which I still own and use. I went through a couple more 35mm cameras and then sort of stumbled into MF with a new Holga. That got me longing for 'better' images in that format and so I got a good ol' Yashica Mat 124G which takes very nice photos and is fun to use. However, I wanted nay NEEDED more area. So I got an old Voigtländer Bessa 6x9 and that baby takes amazing images and I love the process (meter, set aperture, estimate distance, focus, cock shutter, compose, click, wind film). I took a brief sojourn into a homemade pinhole 6x12 which also takes very nice images. I mainly use direct positive paper in that one. Looking back, I can see that LF was an inevitability. I just sort of started looking around on the 'bay'. You know, casually at first. When no one was looking, I would cut out a 4x5 piece of paper and fondle it, dreaming of negatives that size. Then I would crumple them up and throw them in the neighbor's garbage can late at night. Then it happened. I was all hopped up on Caffenol and Rapid Fixer fumes so it is a bit of a blur, but I spotted a Speed Graphic up for auction. I'm not sure what happened next, but the following morning, I had an email congratulating me on winning the camera. I was ecstatic and frightened all at the same time. How would I care for it? How would I explain to my wife? Would my tripod support that much weight!?? It showed up a few days later with a bunch of lenses and filters and film holders and Darth Vader light sabers. It took some sorting and cleaning, but I finally got my head around it. I sent it off for a good CLA and am now patiently awaiting the return of my first LF camera. This forum is helping me pass the time. I am really enjoying lurking and looking forward to participating very soon.

Anonymously,
James

Brian C. Miller
2-Apr-2013, 14:28
Welcome to the forum, James! Lots of good images have been made with Speed Graphics, so I know that camera will serve you well. I use a Super Graphic, which doesn't have a rear curtain shutter, but it does have a bit more movements. Those lenses are sharp, so if you want a Holgesque experience, you either need to stop it down all the way, or else use a lens that was made for medium format, like a 100mm (I think) Raptar.

Please post your images when you get everything working!

jharr
2-Apr-2013, 15:18
Thanks Brian. I am not particularly in love with the Holga experience. Having teethed on Nikon glass, I like my images sharp. I got the Ektar 203 f/7.7 lens along with a Graphic 135 f/4.5 so I am very eager to put these through their paces.

Alan Gales
2-Apr-2013, 15:58
Welcome to the club, James!

If your tripod isn't up to it then consider an old used Tiltall for less than $100.00. I paid $75.00 for mine and it works great with my Crown Graphic.

John Kasaian
3-Apr-2013, 07:30
Welcome aboard!

Wally
3-Apr-2013, 16:04
Welcome to the club, James. I'm in Point Loma/OB.

Who'd you send the camera off to for the CLA?

There's some good resources on line for speed graphis cameras. Check out http://www.graflex.org/

Michael Cienfuegos
3-Apr-2013, 16:33
Welcome Aboard, James. I think there are a few of us in the San Diego area. I'm in East County, in El Cajon. I try and get out, just been too busy with house hold stuff of late. I have a few Speed Graphics in my pile of stuff, they seem to find my house for some strange reason. As Wally said, graflex.org is a great resource for Speeds and other Graflex products.

m

jharr
3-Apr-2013, 20:04
Thanks everyone. I sent it off to Charles Monday up in So. San Francisco. He comes highly recommended on Graflex.org.

Are there any LF meet-ups or photo walks in the San Diego area? My schedule is pretty crammed too (two teen-aged boys), but occasionally I get the chance to get out and make some photos. Actually LF fits this lifestyle a little better since I don't feel like I have to shoot 12 or 24 images. I can take my time and make just a few.

dperez
4-Apr-2013, 07:58
Well you can always start something up. If you post a location and dates, people will come. Bring your kids, they can do their thing while you're doing yours. They might even get interested in it. Maybe we could set something up for Torrey Pines.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

-Daniel Perez

Thanks everyone. I sent it off to Charles Monday up in So. San Francisco. He comes highly recommended on Graflex.org.

Are there any LF meet-ups or photo walks in the San Diego area? My schedule is pretty crammed too (two teen-aged boys), but occasionally I get the chance to get out and make some photos. Actually LF fits this lifestyle a little better since I don't feel like I have to shoot 12 or 24 images. I can take my time and make just a few.

Wally
4-Apr-2013, 09:15
Torrey pines is an excellent idea. I've wanted to explore that boulder-filled gap you can see on the right as you go south on N. Torrey Pines Rd. about 3/4 mile after the state park entrance, and there are some great locations up in the park as well.