PDA

View Full Version : Arca-Swiss 6x9 lensboards: new versus old models

Frank Petronio
29-May-2004, 20:18
Recently saw an older (pre-F, pre-1980) Arca-Swiss 4x5 with a smaller 6x9 front end and tapered bellows. I was wondering if the current 6x9 (110mm) lensboards will fit the old (A-B-C) series 6x9 front standards?

Kerry L. Thalmann
29-May-2004, 20:52
Frank,

Based on my limited experience (one older Arca with a 6x9 front end and three new 110mm Arca boards), I'd have to say, no the new 110mm boards do not fit the older 6x9 front standard. I have a few of the older style 6x9 boards. They are painted silver on the front and black on the back. They measure about 109mm x 109mm - just a smidge smaller than the current 110mm boards . The other difference is the current style boards have a mechanical light trap. This mechanical light trap is in the form of extra thickness for all but the outer 3/8" or so on all four sides. This forms a ridge that mates with the opening in the front standard of the newer Arca cameras to form a light tight mechanical seal. Unfortunately, it is also another area where the newer boards won't quite fit the older cameras.

While it may be possible to file modify the front standard on an older Arca 6x9 to accept the current 110mm lensboards, it would be risky. The front standards on the older cameras are made from plastic and I'd be worried about cracking something beyond repair during the modification. A simpler solution would be to get some boards custom made for the older camera. The older boards are simply a flat piece of metal with radiused corners (no mechanical light traps or ridges). Any machine shop should be able to make you some from sheet aluminum with a nice black anodized finish for a reasonable price. That's what I'm current having done. Contact me off list if you'd like to piggy back on my order. Once the set-up costs are paid, the cost per board is quite reasonable.

Kerry

Bill_3910
30-May-2004, 10:42
You guys work at this too hard! Even in the small town I live in there are several sheet metal shops which have a power brake that can chop up a sheet of metal. Just tell the guy what size you want and how many. Have him radius out the corners. I suggest drilling your holes first. Paint the back with Krylon "Ultra Black" and the front with silver "hammer tone" paint. They will look just like the original Arca boards except no decal saying "Arca Swiss". I have been doing this for about thirty years, and have yet to have a problem. Bill

Kerry L. Thalmann
30-May-2004, 11:12
You guys work at this too hard!

Bill,

Actually, it sounds like you're doing a lot more work than me. I spent less than 10 minutes drawing my boards in a CAD program. I created one drawing with multiple boards with different hole sizes to match my lenses. I then emailed the file to a CNC machine shop and specified a brushed and black anodized finish. My work is now done. I'll get my boards back, pre-drilled with a hard durable black anodized finish, ready to use. No painting, no drilling, no labor on my part at all. It couldn't be easier. I don't even have to leave my house to buy paint or visit the machine shop. I just emailed them my file and they'll ship me the boards when they are done. I'm sure your hand-painted boards look nicer than mine, but I can't imagine they are less work. I ordered a few extra boards, but if I need more in the future, all I have to do is send the file out and place another order - no additional work required.

Kerry