PDA

View Full Version : Buying used cameras in Tokyo

Simon Parsons
29-May-2004, 15:19
I know that new cameras are no bargain in Tokyo, but wonder if there is a used camera market there and what prices are like. I have a free day in Tokyo next week so would appreciate any advice or information. Thanks, Simon

Oren Grad
29-May-2004, 17:03
There is a very active used camera market in Tokyo. I took good advantage of it while I was living there around ten years ago, and both frequent articles on the topic of used equipment as well as the back-of-the-book ads in the Japanese monthly photo magazines that I continue to receive confirm that there's still much good used equipment to be had in Tokyo.

It's difficult for me to generalize about prices without doing some research which, alas, I don't have time for at the moment - perhaps someone who's currently in Tokyo can help on this. My recollection is that in general, as with new equipment, prices weren't systematically better than in the US, but the range of available equipment was superb. (If you're a loony-fringe Leica user or collector, hold on tight to your wallet - the selection is absolutely breathtaking.) There were a few exceptions - for example, Mamiya equipment is much cheaper new in Japan than here, and used Mamiya is correspondingly cheaper still - I got fabulous deals on used Mamiya 6 gear while I was there. Large format pickings are on the slim side, though Horseman field cameras do seem to show up at attractive prices now and then in the ads I see in current magazines.

FWIW, my own favorite haunts for small- and medium-format used equipment while I was there were Fujiya Camera in Nakano-ku (a few steps away from the JR train station) as well as the various shops clustered within the few blocks around Shinjuku station. But there were plenty of shops in other parts of town, too.

I hope someone who's currently in Tokyo can jump in with on on-the-spot update, but in the meantime I hope this is useful...

Tomo
30-May-2004, 08:20
If you want to buy a Japan-made camera, Tokyo is the best place whether it is new or used. I am a Japanese and currently living outside Tokyo. I had lived in NY before. Two years ago, when I was living in NY, I came to Tokyo to buy a new TOYO field 4X5 camera at about 35 percent cheaper than NY. When back in NY, I bought a Schneider lens at 25 percent cheaper than Tokyo. As long as it is Japan-made camera, you don't find a better price than Tokyo's market except e-bay.

For new, Go to Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku, where I bought my TOYO. They are a mega electric store. So make sure you go to the camera department, for which they have a 5 floor building. Check www.yodobashi.com, though they don't show the entire selection they sell.

For used, Ginza, Shinbashi, and Shinjuku areas are the best spots. I recommend Ginza area to check first. Selection is superb. When living in NY, buying a used Japan-made camera was out of question for me, since I knew the Tokyo's used market.

But if you are thinking about buying used large format camera, selection is quite tight. Tokyo is not a special place for that.

Simon Parsons
12-Jun-2004, 15:20
Thanks for both replies, and sorry to take so long to answer but I have only just returned. I had less time to look around than I had thought at first so my exploring was rather limited. Took the train in from Narita and went to Ginza which was very interesting. Found four used camera stores with wonderful selections of cameras, not, unfortunately the Mamiya 7II that I was hoping for. Prices were high though, I suppose the weak Dollar doesn't help. Used Bronica RF with lens more than new at BH. Nikons amazingly expensive and non AI lenses costing almost as much as I paid for them 30 years ago. Everything in looked in great condition though. I might be back in Tokyo next month and now that I can find my way around I will keep looking. Thanks again for all the info. Simon

Bernard Languillier
8-Oct-2004, 05:43
Another good place is Fujiya camera in Nakano (on JR Chuo line, a few stops away from Shinjuku by local train, the first stop by express towards the west - a bit outside the center).

They have a huge choice in 35 mm second hand gear, and quite a few medium and LF cameras/lenses as well. This is where I just bought a Nikon 75 4.5 and Fuji 150 f5.6.

www.fujiya-camera.co.jp (in Japanese only).

Their lack of flexibility is sometimes a bit irritating, but I have never had any problems with the gear I bought there.

Best regards, Bernard

stacey kunch
30-Dec-2005, 12:20
I've lived in Japan and travel there every so often. When I do back, my FAVORITE thing to do is to go used camera shopping... I have supplemented my RB67 outfit on each trip back. What I like most about buying used in Japan, is how much there is and the EXCELLENT quality and condition of the equipment. Even the stuff with heavy brassing which has had a lot of use, is still in great shape.

The Japanese are passionate collectors, and take a great deal of pride in what they own. FILM is very much alive and well in Japan. You can see this by all of the publications dedicated to film photography. Even if you don't go to buy, if you are a camera buff you MUST go to at least look. Many of these used shops mentioned are very much like camera museums. Several shops that I know of actually do have at least one display case for just this. Anyway, going thru these shops offer a look back at some the true heavyweights that shaped photography.

35mm reigns supreem here. Bodies are turned sideways so as to cram more of them onto the disply shelves. Think back to the first REAL camera you had or learned on, and it's there. You will also find many JAPAN ONLY models of familiar classics. You can also find a great deal of 8mm movie equipment, submini and Leica, which are like GOLD, not cheap...

Anyway, enough hot air. If I only had time for a single stop, FUJIYA CAMERA in Nakano would be it. They have a bit of everything, so whatever your fancy, you won't be left out. It's a very reach from anywhere in Tokyo, just minutes from Shinjuku via the CHUO-SEN, it's the orange train, track 9 and 10. Take the train going towards Mitaka or Hachiyoji, it's the first stop. The shop is not is plain view, but the KFC is, off to your right as you exit the station. Here is a link to FUJIYA CAMERA which has a street map. Print it and just show someone.

http://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp/camera_floorguide.htm

Have fun...