PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this ANSCO camera. Only 4 Photos...

Closefan
1-Apr-2013, 09:02
Please help identify this ANSCO camera. Only 4 Photos...

I would really appreciate it. I have no more info other then the 4 photos because its from a buddy of mine.

And I know this is premature, but an estimated cost of something like this?

Thanks!

John

Steven Tribe
1-Apr-2013, 09:23
We are not too keen on helping with value giving - especialy for members who have just joined to-day!

neil poulsen
1-Apr-2013, 09:35
It's an Ansco 8x10. It has no front tilt, which subtracts from the value. The primary criteria is condition, especially of the bellows and whether it has pinholes. How are the corners of the bellows? Go into a dark room, stretch out the bellows on the base, put a light inside the camera, and see if you have small (or large?) rays of light being emitted from the bellows. Does the camera have any warped parts? What's the condition of the wood? It doesn't look too bad from the photos.

Others can chime in. If the bellows do not need to be replaced, I'd say it's value could be about $600 or $700. If the bellows do need replacement, I'd cut the value to about half of that. Maybe a little more.

E. von Hoegh
1-Apr-2013, 09:36
We are not too keen on helping with value giving - especialy for members who have just joined to-day!

Ditto. You can do the work yourself, all the info you need is just a google away.

Edit - Oh well.

IanG
1-Apr-2013, 10:25
It's a plain 10x8 Universal View, some had front tilt. This model doesn't take an extension rail so is limited to 26½" bellows extension.

The best Agfa Ansco is the 10x8 Commercial View which have front tilt, an extension rail and about 39" of bellows extension, a few have front swing.

I have both models and they a great cameras, price is down to what comes with them, my Commercial View had a coated 12" Dagor, a brand new unused Beattie screen (in it's box) and 3 spare lens boards and a compendium lens hood, all in the original case.

The Universal had a Radar lens and a very good 165mm Super Angulon, so in both cases it's hard to say what value the cameras themselves really were, I'd guess $300 & $200 though.

Ian

Chauncey Walden
1-Apr-2013, 10:29
Not too desirable without the extension rail in my book.

DarkroomDan
1-Apr-2013, 10:36
That wouldn't be someone's copyright that has been blacked out on those photos would it?

Closefan
1-Apr-2013, 11:00
Thank you all for your help. I definately have been an avid reader of the site...just registered today. i know im an outsider. None the less. THANK YOU.

Louis Pacilla
1-Apr-2013, 11:00
Not too desirable without the extension rail in my book.

Not that I'm jumping in and offering a value but for the sake of miss information..

The extension rail on "this generation" of the Agfa/Ansco Commercial View was a built in extension rail & judging by OPs photos his camera has one. This was one of Agfa/Ansco big selling points "No more lost extension rails".

BTW- The Commercial had the sliding block and the Universal did not.

neil poulsen
1-Apr-2013, 11:02
Yes, the lack of extension makes quite a difference.

Closefan
1-Apr-2013, 11:02
That wouldn't be someone's copyright that has been blacked out on those photos would it?

He buys things at a specific vintage site and doesn't want others to know where. =)

Closefan
1-Apr-2013, 11:04

totally understand.

Closefan
1-Apr-2013, 11:08
It's an Ansco 8x10. It has no front tilt, which subtracts from the value. The primary criteria is condition, especially of the bellows and whether it has pinholes. How are the corners of the bellows? Go into a dark room, stretch out the bellows on the base, put a light inside the camera, and see if you have small (or large?) rays of light being emitted from the bellows. Does the camera have any warped parts? What's the condition of the wood? It doesn't look too bad from the photos.

Others can chime in. If the bellows do not need to be replaced, I'd say it's value could be about $600 or $700. If the bellows do need replacement, I'd cut the value to about half of that. Maybe a little more.

I will try and get more info. The info you have provided is already amazing. thank you.

The reason i posted, is because out of all the research i did before i posted, i couldn't find an image that has the "locking" type mechanism thats present in the photos. It seems there is this gold piece the sticks out on the side of the larger wooden box that i cannot find anywhere.

But when i get my hands on this unit, i will post more high quality images just to for reference sake in the future.

Cheers

Steven Tribe
1-Apr-2013, 11:10
But that doesn't "remove" the copyright!

In fact, removing the "origin" of the photos may be a breach of copywright, whilst keeping the label may not be a breach of copyright.

Closefan
1-Apr-2013, 11:13
But that doesn't "remove" the copyright!

In fact, removing the "origin" of the photos may be a breach of copywright, whilst keeping the label may not be a breach of copyright.

My friend is the OWNER of the camera. The person that took the photo of it originally, WAS the owner. We just dont have NEW photos yet. if anything, we will repost new images and remove these, if it bothers you. But it wasn't "I" who took off the watermark. :)

Ill definitely let him know its not right.

Hes old, and paranoid. lol

IanG
1-Apr-2013, 11:38
Not that I'm jumping in and offering a value but for the sake of miss information...:rolleyes:

The extension rail on this generation of the Agfa/Ansco Commercial View had only a built in extension rail. This was one of Agfa/Ansco big selling points "No more lost extension rails".

(((The extension rail is present and sliding block in the OP's photos))).

BTW- The Commercial had the sliding block and the Unversial did not.

This is a Universal View not a Commercial but both have the built in rear extension, and both can have the sliding tripod. The Commercials all have the sliding bloch and some but not all Universals have it.

I've seen variations not in the Catalogues.

Ian

Pete Watkins
1-Apr-2013, 12:30
My 1926/1927 5x7 Ansco cost me $100 from a member here BUT I had to get new bellows for £100 UKP. My 5x7 doesn't have a seperate extension rail, it's built in and this 8x10 looks the same. I wouldn't go above $300 unless the bellows are pristine.
Pete.

Chauncey Walden
1-Apr-2013, 15:06
Anyone have a link that shows how the "built in" extension rail works? It's not too obvious in the photos.

Jon Shiu
1-Apr-2013, 16:27
It is a built-in rail inset into the long bed of the camera. Slides backward.

Jon

Louis Pacilla
1-Apr-2013, 20:18
Anyone have a link that shows how the "built in" extension rail works? It's not too obvious in the photos.

Here ya go Chauncey. Here's a couple of snaps of my Universal 5x7 w/ extension drawn out. As well as a couple of pages showing the extension taken from Agfa/Ansco catalogs 1938 and 1930 in order. Mine was a later model probably made in the early 1940's ish.

Chauncey Walden
2-Apr-2013, 09:54
Thanks, Louis. That's pretty nifty.