PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma upgrades and other questions

Axel
31-Mar-2013, 03:36
As posted here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?101798-Paris-calling-!)... a few questions :

Ground-glass + fresnel :
Those on my Norma 4x5" are in very bad shape and need to be replaced.
I've never used anything else than the stock arrangement : GG upfront & fresnel behind it (behind means I can't touch it, it's "inside").
I have no problems with the stock Sinar GG (luminosity-wise) and if I can find separate GGs for sale, I can't find a separate fresnel lens. Or I can find both bundled but the fresnel is the Sinar snap-on which fits in front of the GG.
> How to protect the fresnel from getting scratched ?
> Which side of it faces me when I use it : the actual fresnel pattern or the other ?
> Any pros & cons on using the fresnel behind the GG or in front of it ?

Norma shifts :
The up/down shift rails have become very hard to move - lots of resistance.
> Is there a product which would help lube those rails, or do I have to hand the Norma to a prof. serviceman ?

Sinaron 55/4,5 MC :
I just bought it to recover some wide-angle possibilities with 6x9cm shots. I don't mind a little illumination fall-off, in fact I quite like it, but if it goes down one stop or more, then no. I don't use any with my Schneider Super-Angulon 75/5,6...
> Rodenstock center filter necessary ?

Wide-angle bellows :
I only do architecture so focus is most of the time 5/7m to infinity. I use the stock Sinar which is fine for lenses up to my 180mm. However, for the 75mm and 55mm, it is so thick and large I could make an umbrella with the unused portions of it ! Also it makes some drastic shifts difficult.
> Does a "smaller/thinner" w-a bellows exist ?

Da-Yi rollfilm back :
Not in yet but what is its exact image size : 56 x 85mm ? 56 x 90mm ?

thanks for your help
ax.

Steven Tribe
31-Mar-2013, 03:50
Sinaron 55/4,5 MC :
I just bought it to recover some wide-angle possibilities with 6x9cm shots. I don't mind a little illumination fall-off, in fact I quite like it, but if it goes down one stop or more, then no. I don't use any with my Schneider Super-Angulon 75/5,6...
> Rodenstock center filter necessary ?

This will drown here in your norma questions! Best to post this question in the lens section.

I recall the Normar service and the "which side fresnel?" have been up before - so you can find many responses, almost instantaneously! Just play with the advanced search function - using thread titles only.

Axel
31-Mar-2013, 04:45
Thank you Steven - done !
I didn't realize there was a "random question" to answer in the search function so I was winding up with a cryptic message...

Keith Pitman
31-Mar-2013, 06:14
You can learn how to maintain your Norma here:

http://www.philipmorgan.net/the-sinar-norma-cla-guide/

Axel
31-Mar-2013, 06:48
Thank you Keith !
This is obviously not for me so I'll try to rapidly find a tech in Paris :)

Leonard Robertson
31-Mar-2013, 18:35
I believe there may have been two different GG/fresnel arrangements for the Norma - with the fresnel on the bellows side of the GG (what you seem to have), and with the GG closest to the bellows and the fresnel outside of it (as I understand later model Sinars did it). I recall when I tried to figure this out for my Norma, it was a bit confusing.

If the frame holding your groundglass/fresnel is made to have the fresnel on the bellows side, you either need to replace the fresnel in the same position, or shim the GG back by the thickness of the fresnel. Just removing the fresnel and installing the GG will move the GG forward and focus plane of the GG will be changed. I don't know if the newer Sinar fresnel is near the correct size to mount in front of the GG on your Norma. I think the newer fresnel is in some type of frame, and I don't know if it is easy to remove this frame. The fresnel is probably plastic and easy to cut to size - unless it is smaller than what you need for the Norma. There may be other make fresnels available at less cost than the Sinar version. You need one the same thickness as what you have now to keep the GG in the proper position. Please post the information if you find a solution to your problem. I need to find a fresnel for my Norma.

There are two different wide angle bellows available for Sinars, shown here: http://www.capturescanprint.com/sinar_accessories.html#p7EPMc1_1
The "WIDE ANGLE BELLOWS 2 4x5″/10x12.5 cm 455.46" has an extra pleat or something in the middle to give more flexibility. They aren't commonly available on eBay, although I have seen them on eBay UK or Euro.

On my Norma, I unscrewed the knurled top caps on the standard uprights and pulled the frame completely off (after unhooking the bellows). I swabbed the inside hole in each side of the frame with a slight amount of WD40 on a cotton swab to get the dirt and old grease out of the hole. I then swabbed a tiny bit of grease inside the hole and replaced the frame on the standard uprights. The Phillip Morgan manual may have better recommendations for cleaning and lubing products. There may be some sort of "dry" lube which won't catch dirt.

Len

philipmorg
31-Mar-2013, 20:20
On my Norma, I unscrewed the knurled top caps on the standard uprights and pulled the frame completely off (after unhooking the bellows). I swabbed the inside hole in each side of the frame with a slight amount of WD40 on a cotton swab to get the dirt and old grease out of the hole. I then swabbed a tiny bit of grease inside the hole and replaced the frame on the standard uprights. The Phillip Morgan manual may have better recommendations for cleaning and lubing products. There may be some sort of "dry" lube which won't catch dirt.

Len

Another quick way to put a bandaid on this situation is to remove and clean the frame as Leonard describes (but skip the step of adding grease) and then spray a light coat of silicone lubricant onto the riser and then wipe it off with a paper or terrycloth towel. Enough of the silicone lubricant will remain on the riser to help the frame ride up and down more easily. Silicone lubricant is readily available at hardware and auto parts stores.

--Philip.

Axel
31-Mar-2013, 23:51
Leonard,
My Norma has the fresnel inside but as I have no time to make tests and adjust focal planes (shooting starts in two weeks and will extend throughout summer), I guess I'll have to buy a newer back with a gg in better shape and a snap-on fresnel on the side.
Thanks also for the extreme-wa bellows link : seems like it for me.

Leonard & Philip,
Will buy the necessary liquids tomorrow and do the job. Any specific names to "silicone lubricant"... when being in France ?

thanks
ax.

Leonard Robertson
1-Apr-2013, 07:34
Phillip - Thank you for the correction on silicone spray being preferable to grease. I had thought of mentioning silicone, but I haven't used it myself, so I wasn't sure it would work. I'll go ahead and redo my Norma using silicone on the uprights. I seem to recall something about silicone not being good for lens coatings, but I may be thinking of another product. But it might be wise to not have lenses around when spraying silicone.

Axel - I looked at a can of silicone spray I have here. The manufacturer is "CRC" and the product name is "Heavy Duty Silicone Multi-Use Lubricant". CRC may be a multinational company and their products available in Europe, but probably any silicone based spray will work well.

I wonder if the entire focus panel from a newer model Sinar will snap into the Norma rear frame? If so, you might find a used panel with a nice ground glass, and the gg will be at the correct plane to use the rear mount fresnel. Maybe someone reading this can comment on using a newer focus panel on a Norma.

Len