PDA

View Full Version : Jobo CPA Pre-Rinse

Brandon Draper
28-May-2004, 15:43
Does anyone have any thoughts about pre-rinsing b&w films in a Jobo processor? I have always pre-rinsed my roll film with good results. Now that I am learning the zone system & testing film in the 4x5 format. I was wondering if any one had done complete testing on this procedure. I did a quick test. With and without. And didn't see any noticable difference. I am testing HP5+ and Bergger Films.

I am pre-rinsing for 5 minutes. And dev. with HC-110 Dil-B.

Thanks!

Dean Cookson
28-May-2004, 16:46
I do it and Jobo recommends it with all developers except Xtol.

FWIW, I use a CPP and Jobo Expert Drums for both 4x5 and 8x10.

Gem Singer
28-May-2004, 17:30
Hi Brandon,

Ilford does NOT recommend the use of a pre-rinse for their HP-5+ film when using a rotary processor "as it can lead to uneven processing". See the HP5 Plus Fact Sheet at: www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/HP5_Plus.pdf. This statement appears in the paragraph in the upper right corner of page 3.

From what the Ilford Tech. people have told me, there is a wetting agent incorporated into the emulsion of HP-5+ film, and pre-rinsing will dissolve it out.

Peter Witkop
28-May-2004, 17:46
I've heard the recomendation not to pre rinse ilford films (I've heard it as all ilford films not just HP5+, not sure which is correct), and most of the time do not pre rinse, except with pyrocat (which gets a 5 min. pre rinse per the recomendations for that developer), and have gotten good results both ways using FP4+. I use a jobo cpe-2 with 2500 series tanks. That's been my experience anyway.

Peter

William Marderness
28-May-2004, 17:54
I tested HP-5+ with and without a pre-rinse in the Jobo CPP-2. My developing times were 5-10% shorter without the pre-rinse. I asked Jobo about using a pre-rinse, and they said it did not matter if you use one or not, as long as you adjust your development times and make sure the pre-rinse is 5 minutes long (if you use one). The problem with "uneven processing" that Ilford writes about may happen if the film is given a short pre-soak. Jobo recommends a 5 minute pre-rinse to avoid this problem. I asked Ilford about the Jobo 5 minute pre-rinse, and they said it was okay to do this.

Dean Cookson
28-May-2004, 20:17
<shrug> I shoot HP5+ and FP4+ almost exclusively, I've used D76, PhotoFormulary's improved D76, Ilford DD-X and Pyrocat-HD in the Jobo, all with a 5 minute pre-rinse. Development has been perfectly even in every case.

Larry Gebhardt
29-May-2004, 12:56
I use a 3 minute pre-rinse and have had no problems with Ilford, or other films.

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
29-May-2004, 13:16
I always pre-rinse film regardless of make or type. I use the Jobo CPP2 with lift and expert Jobo drums. I am very happy to say that I get consistently very good results. My main mono film is Ilford Delta 100. I use one shot developer. After the two/three minutes pre wash all dye is removed from the backing, which can only be a good thing. Perhaps Ilford should be advised!:)

Jon_2416
29-May-2004, 22:04
>Ilford does NOT recommend the use of a pre-rinse for their HP-5+ film when using a rotary processor "as it can lead to uneven processing". See the HP5 Plus Fact Sheet at: www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/HP5_Plus.pdf. This statement appears in the paragraph in the upper right corner of page 3.

>From what the Ilford Tech. people have told me, there is a wetting agent incorporated into the emulsion of HP-5+ film, and pre-rinsing will dissolve it out.

>--Eugene Singer, 2004-05-28 16:30:25

Yeah Eugene, it says "it CAN" lead to uneven development, not "it does absolutely". I found a pre-rinse gave more consistent results with Ilford films in my rotary. I tested it both ways. And, it depends on what Ilford tech person you talk to--there are ones that will say it is fine. Maybe you have never used a rotary?