PDA

View Full Version : Unloading non quickload film and keeping in empty box

kw
27-May-2004, 20:09
I would like to seek advice on how to store exposed film in their empty boxes during traveling. Should the film be stacked together, then protected by the cardboard divider and finally slotted back onto the aluminium foil bag before the box is closed. Or should I just put the film into the box without the cardboard divider and aluminium foil?

Best Regards..

Paul Metcalf
27-May-2004, 20:25
I use the foil (or plastic bag as it may be) whenever moving about in case the box is dropped or opened accidentally (or by a too curious security person). That gives you at least one more layer of protection. Exposed exposures is a crime in most states...

Capocheny
28-May-2004, 01:00
KW,

I've never had a problem with my films simply by putting them back in their original boxes... of course, you should also interlap the boxes the way they were when you first opened it.

Personally, I don't use the aluminum foil packaging again because the films can be inadvertently scratched when you insert them back into the package.

As for the cardboard, that's optional unless you have a lab that can't tell the difference between cardboard and film...

To circumvent the boxes from accidentally opening... place a rubber band around the box.

Hope this helps...

Steve Hamley
28-May-2004, 07:07
I do the same thing H.C. does - rubber band.

Steve

Jim Rice
28-May-2004, 07:19
I'm with H. C. and Steve in that I don't use the envelope nor cardboard. Instead of a rubber band, I tape the box closed along the short sides with Avery labels, which give me a place to note what's inside.

Guy Tal
28-May-2004, 09:28
Same here - I just pile them in the box and use a rubber band while I'm out shooting. I tape the box shut before submitting to the lab (in case someone there is careless).

Guy
Scenic Wild Photography (http://www.scenicwild.com)

Struan Gray
28-May-2004, 12:43
I can recommend the ABS film boxes sold by Mike Walker. A lightweight, light-tight and compact way to carry 20 sheets of film at a time. They come with a divider in case you want to keep exposed and unexposed film in the same box. Look at the accessories page on www.walkercameras.com.

kw
28-May-2004, 15:44
Thanks very much for the advice, guys!

Regards..