PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Expert drums advice please...

numnutz
29-Mar-2013, 05:44
Hi - I have just bought a Jobo CPA2 and now I would like to get an Expert drum to go with it. I use 5 x 4 and 10x 8 film Colour and Monochrome film and about three times as much 5 x 4 as 10 x 8 sheets. Is there one tank that will take both sizes?

I am sure I have seen them advertised used, but cannot remember the reference number.

The only ones that are available new seem to be for 10 x 8 / 5 x 7 or 5 x 4 only. I wonder if I get a tank for 10 x 8 would it also take 5 x 4? Would a a used tank would be a better purchase? And what model number?

Unfortunately I can only afford one tank at the present time.

Thanks in advance

nn :)

vinny
29-Mar-2013, 07:14
Hey numbnuts!
No, one tank won't do both.
3005 for 8x10
3010 for 4x5
Buy used if in good shape, new if you can afford it.

Bruce Watson
29-Mar-2013, 07:20
Hi - I have just bought a Jobo CPA2 and now I would like to get an Expert drum to go with it.

First things first -- will the CPA2 accommodate the Expert drums? I don't remember, but some processors can't run a drum that big. Better check to make sure.

Oren Grad
29-Mar-2013, 07:38
First things first -- will the CPA2 accommodate the Expert drums? I don't remember, but some processors can't run a drum that big. Better check to make sure.

Yes, the CPA and CPP are the big boys, it's the CPE that can't take the Expert drums. I use the Expert drums with my CPA-2.

Oren Grad
29-Mar-2013, 07:46
Unfortunately, a 3005 would be questionable for 4x5 - the sheets are too small, and would likely go sloshing around far too much within the wells, with high risk of uneven development.

If you're developing your B&W film in standard (i.e., non-pyro) developers, there's a good chance you can get away with using one of the print drums, which can be had for much less money. I don't know how well color film processes work in the print drums, though.

Nicolasllasera
29-Mar-2013, 10:19
I do my 8x10 color in print drums and it works fine. Sometimes they do overlap but its happened only once or twice. I use the Expert tanks now. I have one for every size.

numnutz
1-Apr-2013, 05:40
Thanks to everyone for the information, I will stick with the normal 25xx tanks for the present.

nn :)