PDA

View Full Version : DIY Flash Reflectors

Jeff Morfit
28-Mar-2013, 05:34
Does anyone have any suggestions for DIY flash reflectors? I am building a three bulb flash unit, and am open to any suggestions as to what I might use for reflectors. I was thinking about using aluminum 7"-9" cake or pie pans. Thanks for any and all input.

BrianShaw
28-Mar-2013, 06:13
Cake pan, or hub caps (if you can still find them) could work. Pokishing them would be a lot of effort and they would not be parabolic, which might give you weird lighting patterns. For diffusion effects, how about some tupperware?

Why not use old flash reflectors like the large Graflex? They are on ebay often for decent prices if you look hard enough. If you just want the reflector, reflectors sold without handles go for even more reasonable prices.

Jim C.
28-Mar-2013, 07:45
How about clip on lamps, the shades are parabolic, finding smooth ones might be a little hunt

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_14444.jpg

DrTang
28-Mar-2013, 08:11
Something like this?:

http://flic.kr/p/ds2oyY

picked it up at a garage sale..

I would try sturdy pie tins myself

C. D. Keth
28-Mar-2013, 09:06
I'd say dollar store steel mixing bowls. Use steel wool to put a little light texture on the inside to soften things a bit.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Mar-2013, 09:44
Flash reflectors are rather common on that big auction site.

Here is my own tri-flash. It requires no batteries. The lower part is a magneto.

ki6mf
30-Mar-2013, 18:08
At your local craft store you can get 9X12 foam some with peel and stick backs. i have made my own bounce cards and the cost is quite low. I have used popsicle sticks from the same store as support between two seets of foam. i use white for reflection and black on the back. Cut the bottom so it wraps around a flash and secure with velco. With heavy useage they last several months. The biggest problem comes where the foam gets bent at sharp angles-auouns your lihts. In the USA the cost is $2-3.00 total. i eventually bought a nylon flexable bounce card cause my foam was tearing. Still a fun project and it does work

C. D. Keth
30-Mar-2013, 20:22
I just thought of something that might be helpful. I have a sun shade for my truck that is 1/8" flexible foam and it's silvered on both sides. One side is almost mirror finish and the other has texture. I think you can get a similar sun shade for about $10. Cut it, maybe stitch or staple to give it a shape, and attach with velcro. There's more than enough in one shade to make a few different sizes or shapes.

Peter De Smidt
30-Mar-2013, 21:18
I'd say dollar store steel mixing bowls. Use steel wool to put a little light texture on the inside to soften things a bit.

I've done that with an 18" diameter SS salad bowl. It worked just fine.

I4YM
26-Jul-2013, 19:52
Flash reflectors are rather common on that big auction site.

Here is my own tri-flash. It requires no batteries. The lower part is a magneto.

Very interesting. Is this something you are willing to share with us. Materials needed etc...Looks great.

VPooler
27-Jul-2013, 02:08
Call around movie theatres in your area, they might be decomissioning 35mm projectors, each of which has a sweet and tasty reflector bowl inside. I would give you one but the shipping would be astronomical since it is quite big and heavy. Also, it is quite big, probably overkill for your flash gun. But if you want a studio solution then keep in mind the projector lamphouse reflector idea.

Edit: this is what a standard reflector looks like, for up to 4kW lamphouses: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwes4ciumq8cacf/2013-07-27%2012.10.26.jpg

Drew Bedo
28-Jul-2013, 14:08
Aluminum or stainless mixing bowls . . . copper for a warmer tione.

If you live in snow country you may be able to buy to a snow saucer (used by kids when sliding down a snow covered hill) Might be a good substrate for a reflector.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jul-2013, 15:03
Very interesting. Is this something you are willing to share with us. Materials needed etc...Looks great.

What is pictured is a combination of two once-available products. The magneto is from a Printex Flashtronic flash and the triple head from a no-name C-cell battery flash. I have accumulated several.

I4YM
2-Aug-2013, 07:30
Thanks Jac and everyone else...