PDA

View Full Version : V700 film holder height adjusters!

welly
27-Mar-2013, 16:19
Hey all,

I thought I'd spend a bit of time this weekend trying to see if I can sharpen up my scans. The film holder adjusters I had seem to have gone wayward and so was wondering if a. replacement adjusters are available or b. there's an alternative? Is anyone using something else to adjust the height of their film holder?

I do, incidentally, have a betterscanning film holder but I find it a little bit of a hassle to use so don't tend to use it on a day to day basis.

Cheers!

Jim Jones
27-Mar-2013, 19:20
If I ever get around to fine-tuning the height of my V700, I'll probably build up layers of thin cardboard until it seemed to give sharpest results.

Nathan Potter
27-Mar-2013, 19:35
Pieces of various thicknesses of mat board can be used. Shoot for between 3 to 4 mm above the platen as a start. That's roughly where the emulsion of the film should be.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

welly
27-Mar-2013, 19:44
Pieces of various thicknesses of mat board can be used. Shoot for between 3 to 4 mm above the platen as a start. That's roughly where the emulsion of the film should be.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

If I ever get around to fine-tuning the height of my V700, I'll probably build up layers of thin cardboard until it seemed to give sharpest results.

Ok, there's ideas. I'll give that a whirl this weekend.

Good thinking, batmen!

SMBooth
27-Mar-2013, 21:52
Welly the adjustment you get from the Epson feet are minimum and appear to be 0.8mm and 1.25mm thereabouts. Some 0.5mm polystyrene sheet from your model / hobby shop show work well.

Ben Calwell
28-Mar-2013, 05:20
I'm probably in the minority on this, but when I scanned a 4x5 on my brother's V700, it was tack sharp using the Epson holders with no adjustments required.

photobymike
28-Mar-2013, 06:02
I'm probably in the minority on this, but when I scanned a 4x5 on my brother's V700, it was tack sharp using the Epson holders with no adjustments required.

i have a 750 and get really sharp results with no adjustments. I cleaned my glass and when i put the cover back on i torqued the screws evenly. It takes only inch pounds ...but the cover moved as i tightened. It looks like the scanner top is designed to be adjusted for hight by varying the torque of the screws that hold the glass. DONT OVER TIGHTEN!!! i am sure they would strip

Fred L
28-Mar-2013, 15:51
If the film isn't bowing, scans in the stock holders should be fine. The best scans I've gotten out of my 700 were using the 8x10 film guide with the film, emulsion down, with an AN glass on top. You'll have to flip the image in PS and you need to stay on top of the dust however.

I've got some Lomo DigitiLIZA holders for 120 and 35 and they seem to be as good if not *marginally* better than the Epson ones.

Eric Rose
28-Mar-2013, 16:12

Me too. I've made REALLY big prints from my 4x5 scans (Epson V750 Pro) and they are tack sharp.