PDA

View Full Version : How to make your own wet plate using a 8x10"film holder

alex from holland
27-Mar-2013, 08:12
http://collodion-art.blogspot.nl/2013/03/how-to-convert-filmholder-into-wet.html

Alex

SergeiR
27-Mar-2013, 08:41
:) thanks. Well done.. (and yeah, comment about two holes popped right when i was thinking "hey.. how the hell he isnt....ah.. two holes. right" :)

bracan
27-Mar-2013, 09:38
Thanks Alex!

C. D. Keth
27-Mar-2013, 09:49
Alex, when you're installing the silver wire staples, how do you ensure you have the plate the same distance from the camera back as the film would have been? It seems like it could be pretty hit or miss as far as having perfect focus.

alex from holland
27-Mar-2013, 11:19
Chris. The sensitive side ia facing towards the filver wires. So it is in the same position as the film normally is. It doens't matter if you are using alumunium, 2 or 3 mm glass. It's always in the perfect position.

jcoldslabs
27-Mar-2013, 13:46
Great video, and very helpful. I need to do this one of these days. Thanks.

Jonathan

C. D. Keth
27-Mar-2013, 16:21
Chris. The sensitive side ia facing towards the filver wires. So it is in the same position as the film normally is. It doens't matter if you are using alumunium, 2 or 3 mm glass. It's always in the perfect position.

I get where the plate goes. You never mention or show yourself measuring how far the wire stands proud of the septum. What I'm wondering is how do you know the distance the plate is sticking out from the septum is precisely the same as the thickness of a sheet of film?

jcoldslabs
27-Mar-2013, 16:35
I've read that some people use corners from an old piece of film wedged between the wire and the septum when bending the silver wire into place to make up the difference.

J.

Mark Sawyer
27-Mar-2013, 18:44
Chris, the amount the wires stand forward from the septum when bent firmly into place seems to naturally duplicate where the film normally is. I've made maybe ten holders very similar to this, and the registration has come out perfect every time. I work close-up and often wide open, and with that minimal depth of field, I'd notice if it were off. You can see the dof I usually work with here:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/Veenuss_zpscfa93d49.jpg

Shootar401
27-Mar-2013, 20:14
Great video, now I have a project for some 4x5 holders.

C. D. Keth
27-Mar-2013, 21:44
I was hoping for some clever answer but I guess if it works it works!