PDA

View Full Version : Old Photo ID--WA & OR

bgh
27-Mar-2013, 05:27
A friend of mine (my former high school science teacher and swim coach, for full disclosure) recently ran across these 5x8 photographs in his father's things. On the back of several of them he found "Washington Territory Views, Photographed by W.S. Walbridge, Portrait and Landscape Photographer." He asked me about them, but, being a strictly east-coast lad, I was clueless. Does anyone here recognize the name?

Best,
Bruce

Brian C. Miller
29-Mar-2013, 08:33
I recognize the name, and he was hyperactive around 1900. I know I've seen a picture of his Model A, and a series of his photographs somewhere on the web. The UoW doesn't have much on its site. I've seen one of a gas station out in the middle of "nowhere" with cars parked next to it, and other various photos of his. Right now a web search doesn't bring up much.

University of Washington archives, Walbridge (http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=any&CISOFIELD1=creato&CISOROOT=all&CISOBOX1=Walbridge)

Peter Gomena
29-Mar-2013, 17:43
The last two photographs show views of the Columbia River Gorge and lower Multnomah Falls, which also is in the Columbia river Gorge. The railroad tunnel will not be difficult to recognize if you find the right person. I'd contact the Oregon Historical Society - they have a knowledgeable staff and an enormous photo collection.