PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Landlocked locations (unknown to coastal photographers)

Heroique
26-Mar-2013, 17:53
Just curious about your favorite Landlocked locations that other smart LF photographers may not know about.

This will serve, I hope, as a useful companion to the entertaining “Favorite Coastal Locations” thread, especially as the travel season begins to heat up. :cool:

Here’s Beaverhead-Deerlodge Nat’l Forest – Montana’s largest NF, located in the remote, southwest portion of the state. Think Rocky Mountains. I’m wondering about, well above 5,000 feet – where lightning splits trees by summer (like below), and snow swallows them by winter. Sure, it’s a tough life, but trees wouldn’t grow & die here if they didn’t love this place. So would any LF photographer who might come for a visit.

What are your favorite (less known) Landlocked locations for LF photography? (Kansas, here’s your chance to shine.)

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6 (w/ polarizer)
Velvia 100F Quickload
Epson 4990/Epson Scan

Heroique
26-Mar-2013, 22:27
And here’s a list of all 20 “landlocked” states in the U.S. – touching neither an ocean, nor any of the five Great Lakes:

• Arizona
• Arkansas
• Colorado
• Idaho
• Iowa
• Kansas
• Kentucky
• Missouri
• Montana
• Nebraska
• Nevada
• New Mexico
• North Dakota
• Oklahoma
• South Dakota
• Tennessee
• Utah
• Vermont
• West Virginia
• Wyoming

I’ve covered Montana – if there’s enough travel interest, maybe we’ll cover the other landlocked states (and their less known areas), some of which are unfairly considered “LF-poor,” since there’s no big, beautiful body of water. Of course, we want to hear about other favorite landlocked areas too, in other parts of the world. They all deserve better LF attention. ;^)

Doug Howk
27-Mar-2013, 02:16
Cumberland Falls, Kentucky
http://www.vanhuyckphoto.com/Palladium/images/CumberlandFalls.jpg
A pt/pd print of 8X10 negative.

Vaughn
27-Mar-2013, 07:44
I have lots of images of Death Valley -- but obviously pretty well known!

Once one is east of the Cascades in Washington, it feels pretty much land-locked. So out there on the lava plains at Dry Falls would qualify. Another inland lava-filled area, also technically east of the Cascades but in California is Lava Beds National Monument.

So:

Umatilla Rock, Dry Falls, WA -- 8x10
and
Lave Tube Ceiling, Lava beds Nat. Mon, CA -- two 4x5 negatives

Scott Walker
27-Mar-2013, 08:24
Rocky Mountains in Alberta and Montana from Jasper to Glacier.
The Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee mountain ranges in the west Kootenay area in British Columbia.

Heroique
27-Mar-2013, 11:14
Here’s a spot looking into the remote Rockies of N. Idaho.

I’m on the Continental Divide (Lemhi Pass), looking west. This is a beautiful, almost untouched area. Most people associate Idaho w/ the flat country and potato farms to the south, but savage Rocky Mountain ranges pass through the state’s northern portion, such as the nearby Bitterroots.

It’s a perfectly clear morning, but if rain drops fell in front of me, they’d travel to the Pacific via the Snake/Columbia. Droplets behind me would travel to the Gulf of Mexico, via the Missouri/Mississippi...

This is the exact spot where the explorer Meriwether Lewis stood (in 1805) when he crossed the Divide on his way to the Pacific. He was the first white man to see what is today Idaho, and this is what he saw. In the famous L&C journals, as many outdoors people here know, he describes seeing endless, snow-capped peaks on the horizon out there – but the haze on this particular morning obscured the view. It’s an unspoiled area, very remote, so let’s keep this historic, landlocked place a secret among LF friends. ;^)

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Ilford HP5+ (in very dilute HC-110)
Epson 4990/Epson Scan