PDA

View Full Version : Elephants with a 45mm lens in 617 format

blakey
26-Mar-2013, 15:39
So before I go into a justify this is LF, I wanted to know if 617 format is consider LF ?? I think I may have been told off a while back as LF was 4x5, but as its photography I thought I would share some work I am developing in 617 format with a D800 and pentax 67 45mm and 100mm lenses.

http://www.antonyb.com/blog/?page_id=222

and

http://www.antonyb.com/blog/?page_id=238

I stick to colour to capture the spirit and context of the diminishing world, especially at this time of the decade. B&W may follow but I feel this has been done to death, both very well and badly.

All thoughts and comments welcome

Thanks for looking, and of course appologies is this is not considered LF enough, but I thought I would ask. Moving these files around on a Mac seems LF to me.

Gem Singer
26-Mar-2013, 16:00
617 is approx. one half the size of the 5x7 format. However, unless you are using sheet film, or a 617 roll film back on a LF view camera, it is not considered to be large format

"Large format" is not the size of the print. It's the size of the negative used to make the print.

Dan Fromm
26-Mar-2013, 16:13
Look, I don't care what gear you use or what format you shoot. And, with apologies to Mr. Singer, I'm tired of wrangles about what "large format" means.

All that said, are you shooting 617 or cropping to a 6:17 aspect ratio? I ask because your links point to images that are much more nearly square than 6x17 and the gear you say you use doesn't shoot 6:17 natively.

Gem Singer
26-Mar-2013, 16:24
Dan,

It looks like the OP is using a digital camera to capture the image, cropping the print to the 617 aspect ratio, and calling it large format.

Even you will agree that it is not large format.

richardman
26-Mar-2013, 16:32
This site has a funny policy about 617. First of all, if it is smaller than real 617 film, forgetaboutit - it's not large format by any definition.

617 roll film adapter for view camera or 6x17 Shenhao camera are fine here, since they have view camera movements.

617 on things like Fuji and Technorama are not since they don't have movement.

Not sure how they count Technorama with 5mm rise/fall.

Anyway, whatever the moderators decide, but 6x7 cropped is definitely not LF.

Dan Fromm
26-Mar-2013, 17:52
Dan,

It looks like the OP is using a digital camera to capture the image, cropping the print to the 617 aspect ratio, and calling it large format.

Even you will agree that it is not large format.

Of course I agree. We all agree, I think.

blakey
27-Mar-2013, 05:21
Its a D800 using a pano shift to join 2 images together without parralux as i use MF lenses. File is approx 70 meg pixels printing to 1.5 metres. The 22mm shift I achieve with a 35mm sensor give me the 617 ratio i wanted to match the fuji 617.

Thanks for your input. The square images are crops of a 35mm sensor, but my links were elephant in 617 format, they are not cropped 35mm sensor. I am still probably convinced from the statements that is not LF so thanks for the comments I will expect the post moved or removed.

If anyone wants to comment on the photographic aspect I will be happy as this is a new venture for me.

Regardless thanks