PDA

View Full Version : Anybody knows about Lu Pa Udine camera?

bracan
26-Mar-2013, 13:11
Hello,

Does anybody knows any fact about this 13x18 camera?

Manufactured around 1950s in Udine, Italy by Luigi Patui.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8592470571_3d481b152b_b.jpg

Advance thanks

Braca

jb7
26-Mar-2013, 13:58
Nice looking camera- would you call that a duorail? Is it yours? What's it like to use?

Steven Tribe
26-Mar-2013, 16:09
This looks like an excellent design for studio work.
It definitely has links to the bipost european wooden design from the 1890-1920's.
More photos please. Surely this is an 18x24cm with reduction back?

Dan Fromm
26-Mar-2013, 17:55
Steven, several metal LF cameras made in North America had standards on top of parallel tubes and leadscrew focusing. One MF camera too, the 2x3 Rilex press camera. None, I think, were studio cameras.

Steven Tribe
27-Mar-2013, 02:10
Voigtländer had an integrated stand/camera from 1950 - 1954 (just 13x18cm) with the very recognisable round lens boards.

bracan
27-Mar-2013, 04:01
Voigtländer had an integrated stand/camera from 1950 - 1954 (just 13x18cm) with the very recognisable round lens boards.

Maybe this was italian replica of that Voigt?

bracan
27-Mar-2013, 04:06
Few more pics of Lu Pa camera...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8594032363_37d2c760ee_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8520/8595132616_4ce451e7b4_b.jpg

Steven Tribe
27-Mar-2013, 05:34
This should be in the Italian Museum of Industrial Design - if it isn't already there!
All details, colours and materials "stink" of the 1950's - in a very complete and satisfactory way.
The Voigtländer came with a single post and was not so exciting.

What do our Italian members say?

Tracy Storer
27-Mar-2013, 08:09
I am not waiting for the Italian members to say, I think this camera and stand are absolutely gorgeous. Not what a lot of folks might expect, (mahogany, brass, cast iron, etc. ie "19th C") this is a very nice piece of 20th C industrial design.

Mark Sampson
27-Mar-2013, 08:51
Somehow reminiscent of the FATIF brand of Italian view cameras and studio gear that was marketed in the US about 20-25 years ago. A predecessor?

bracan
27-Mar-2013, 09:25
I bought this camera few days ago and waiting to come, maybe tommorow or day after tommorow.
Also, cant find anything at all on web about Luigi Patui company...:(
Will keep informed you guys.

John Kasaian
27-Mar-2013, 09:55
Pisan, thatsa beautifulla camera!

jb7
27-Mar-2013, 10:12
There's a little basic information on this page- http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/CECCHI_IFI_4/

Steven Tribe
27-Mar-2013, 13:10
- which, when put through google translate, says:

In 1933 Luigi Patui based in Udine a company called, by its initials, Lupa, for the production of professional photographic equipment. The activity of Lupa continues until modern times, and in the seventies there was the production of cameras in light alloy for large format 13x18 and 4x5, studio or campaign. At the same time there is provided an instant camera from portrait to four objectives for passport photos. In recent times Lupa presented a 4x5 format camera with interchangeable lenses with horizontal and vertical decentralization for architectural photography and interior design. The camera is extremely interesting and versatile, was named Lupa Fantuz.

Lupa in Italian also means wolf.

zvjeran
5-Jul-2013, 01:00
Hi Bracane (Pozdrav),

will write in English so that anyone can read... I have just bought LuPo as this one , have to arrange transport to my home which is cca 500 km away (Osijek). As I can't mesure it can you please do it for me so that I can decide how big car/truck do I need? What do you think ,how many kg does it weight? Thank you!

Hvala

DKirk
5-Jul-2013, 01:14
Hi Bracane (Pozdrav),

will write in English so that anyone can read... I have just bought LuPo as this one , have to arrange transport to my home which is cca 500 km away (Osijek). As I can't mesure it can you please do it for me so that I can decide how big car/truck do I need? What do you think ,how many kg does it weight? Thank you!

Hvala

Rough guess if the kitchen worktop is a standard height, the columns are are around a maximum of 1800mm tall weight, I'd put between 50kg to 75kg (though anyone who actually has one, or one similar please feel free to correct me) Hope this helps.
I suppose it would fit (dissasembled) into a large estate car, or a Ford Transit, Merc Sprinter or other type van.

Sevo
5-Jul-2013, 01:46
Hi Bracane (Pozdrav),

will write in English so that anyone can read... I have just bought LuPo as this one ,

If we aren't talking all about the same one that is changing hands at a rapid pace, the Yugoslavian countries seem to be pretty packed with them. I ran across another one last year, for 2000kn (but I had not started negotiating). Was extremely tempted, but it was way beyond what I could possible have packed without leaving wife, kids and all luggage behind...

Something short of 100kg seems right - it is hard to lift even for two men. Bring two or three helpers if it has to be hauled up or down any stairs. If you have plenty of time, it can be disassembled into parts that will just about fit a otherwise empty small car, but a large van with platform lift would be advisable.

Andy Eads
5-Jul-2013, 10:12
A company named Noba sold a wood camera of similar design in a variety of sizes. Your's looks to be a beauty!

zvjeran
5-Jul-2013, 12:46
Thanx, camera is on the Croatian cost right now , hope that it will arrive safe to my home... you are right,don't know the reason but two (this is not the same cam as one on first page) cameras in few months on market here... :-) Thank you!

bracan
6-Jul-2013, 06:27
Hello and sorry for late reply,
Camera is weight roughly around 50-75kg. Unfortunatelly, I dont have both leaded counterweight, just one. Still very heavy. Check for working wheels under the base, without wheels youre doomed.
All the best!!!

zvjeran
7-Jul-2013, 11:17
Hello and sorry for late reply,
Camera is weight roughly around 50-75kg. Unfortunatelly, I dont have both leaded counterweight, just one. Still very heavy. Check for working wheels under the base, without wheels youre doomed.
All the best!!!

Thank you! That is good advice and I am hurdly waiting for camera to cum. Just one more question, how high is camera? I am wondering if it will fit in caravan with rear seats down?

Best regards!

Sevo
7-Jul-2013, 11:43
Thank you! That is good advice and I am hurdly waiting for camera to cum. Just one more question, how high is camera? I am wondering if it will fit in caravan with rear seats down?

Best regards!

That will be somewhat individual, as studio stands (and stand-integrated cameras) have usually been dimensioned to order - older ones from times when portrait was a business of its own often did not make it much beyond (standing) eye level, to maybe 1.7-1.8m, but the Lupa being relatively young (post war until fairly recent), it will often have been ordered higher, to suit more universal studio requirements.

The one I ran across was around 2m. The whole thing can be disassembled (but it would take some time, it obviously was not designed for transportable use), and I estimated that taken apart into six large bits (camera, base, counterweights and column tubes) it would have just about fit a Golf class car with all passenger seats down...

Dan Fromm
13-Jul-2016, 07:17
Here http://web.archive.org/web/20160713141132/http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lupa-Fantuz-portable-4x5-wide-angle-camera-/142050932993 is another Lupa. Depending on configuration, works with lenses from 47 mm to 150 mm.

The recently Kickstarted Mercury embodies some of the same ideas.

Tin Can
13-Jul-2016, 07:36
Here http://web.archive.org/web/20160713141132/http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lupa-Fantuz-portable-4x5-wide-angle-camera-/142050932993 is another Lupa. Depending on configuration, works with lenses from 47 mm to 150 mm.

The recently Kickstarted Mercury embodies some of the same ideas.

That is a very nice design. I remember the listing.

Now the question, could that be built today, for double that price?

I'm trying to be generous with cost, maybe I am too low...

Jac@stafford.net
13-Jul-2016, 15:11
That is a very nice design. I remember the listing.
Now the question, could that be built today, for double that price?
I'm trying to be generous with cost, maybe I am too low...

It is clever, but a rise and shift so restricted to a polar 360° orientation is unusual.

To answer your question, certainly with modern casting and automated CNC, but the profit motive must consider how very few would be in demand, so the price must be great. But you know that very well.

So, Randy, let's make a few of common materials susceptible to shop tools. Diverging - you already have a starting point if you make an eccentric rotated lens board for your 4x5 Printex.

Tin Can
13-Jul-2016, 15:25
I am just playing Devil's advocate as it seems many think our cameras are over market.

I maintain that some cameras and most lens will not be remade and cherish what we have.

As an example, not 5 minutes ago, I was talking to a video production teacher. His school is getting him a Black Magic, but not 4K. then he shook his head and complained that pros were now using 8K.

I laughed and tomorrow we will test this ephemeral toy. Just then a young guy stopped, caught a Polemon right at my door!

So exciting. :( Then I hold him that's why I like film.

It is clever, but a rise and shift so restricted to a polar 360° orientation is unusual.

To answer your question, certainly with modern casting and automated CNC, but the profit motive must consider how very few would be in demand, so the price must be great. So, Randy, let's make a few of common materials susceptible to shop tools.

jamaeolus
15-Jul-2016, 11:39
Looks "robust", unlike my experience with Italian cars....

barnacle
16-Jul-2016, 22:25
Just then a young guy stopped, caught a Pokemon right at my door!

So exciting. :( Then I hold him that's why I like film.

So, Randy - has there been any instance of a pokemon being discovered on a film image yet? It's kinda like those fairy-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden pictures taken in 1917... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

Neil