PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Transfer Workshop

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Mar-2013, 20:27
[Description]

I will be conducting a carbon transfer workshop on April 20th and 21st. This is a two day workshop but you will have the option to sign up for one day or two. Saturday is $175.00 and I will cover the process from start to finish. Sunday will be a day for review and printing and the cost is $100.00. So you can do one day or two. Minimum of two people and maximum is 6 people.I will supply everything you need including different papers to see the work, all of the negatives, though you should bring yours preferably 4x5 to 8x10 traditional negatives. If you have digital negatives that are tuned for the process we can print those as well. Everything is included even a light lunch. You will leave with hopefully a nice carbon print and a full understanding of the process. To reserve a space please send a deposit to: info@m56gallery.com. A $50.00 deposit is required by no later than April 10th. Deposits are refundable up to the 15th of April. Please send the deposits check, paypal, credit cards,money order to m-56 gallery to register for this workshop.

The workshop will be conducted in a nice gallery facility with a great space to have our workshop. I will donate some of the funds from this workshop to help support Matt Blais and his M-56 gallery and I encourage all of you to help support a gallery that fully supports us as large format photographers.

I hope some of you can make it and I look forward to teaching this amazing process.

Thanks, Jim

M56 Gallery
3764 9th St, Riverside, California
View Map · Get Directions

36cm2
26-Mar-2013, 07:37
Jim, if I wasn't on the East Coast, I'd be there in a minute. After seeing Vaughn's show in Philadelphia a few weeks ago, I'm very impressed with this process and the skill required to execute it well. I'm sure your workshop will fill up incredibly quickly and wish you the best.

Leo

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Mar-2013, 08:53
Leo, thanks. Vaughn was my mentor/teacherand I learned the process from him. I hope people take advantage of this specially priced workshop.

sanking
26-Mar-2013, 10:13
Jim, if I wasn't on the East Coast, I'd be there in a minute. After seeing Vaughn's show in Philadelphia a few weeks ago, I'm very impressed with this process and the skill required to execute it well. I'm sure your workshop will fill up incredibly quickly and wish you the best.

Leo

If you are looking for a carbon transfer work shop on the East Coast you might consider the one I am scheduled to do in Toronto in early May.

http://defendthedarkroom.ca/

Sandy

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Mar-2013, 10:15
Leo, I would highly recommend taking Sandy's workshop.

Tri Tran
26-Mar-2013, 10:32
This is such a great deal to learn the most beautiful photographic process on earth . You will have a chance to see and hold the true 3D image totally analog .

Seeing is Believing!
If you like..
One of a kind print
Hand Made print
3 D print
B&W Print

Then this workshop is for you! Sign Up now !
Jim, Have fun with the worshop, I will try my best to drop by, thanks for the invite.

***The benefit for this workshop : The Student will learn the secret of making highest relief hand made tissue, Chinese ancient secret tone recipe . Am I right Jim?

andreios
26-Mar-2013, 11:00
Ah, I wish I was't on the other side of the planet.. I'm still fighting with precious time to follow the "online" workshop...

36cm2
26-Mar-2013, 11:14
Sandy, you've clearly got some great things going on up there at defendthedarkroom!!! That Steve Sherman workshop looks awesome as well. I'll keep an eye on your offerings.

If you are looking for a carbon transfer work shop on the East Coast you might consider the one I am scheduled to do in Toronto in early May.

http://defendthedarkroom.ca/

Sandy

matthew blais
26-Mar-2013, 20:02
This will be a fun time and a printmaker/painter/sculpture show will be hanging during this workshop.

We're also located a half block from the UCR Museum of Photography

Erik Larsen
27-Mar-2013, 14:59
Jim, I hope you get a bunch of students. I'm sure the attendees will get their money's worth being taught by a devoted disciple of the carbon process! It's also nice to help support Matt's efforts with his gallery. I'll have to visit some time.
Erik

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Mar-2013, 16:36
Erik, it would be nice to see you and I can show you your bellows in action.

Yes, I think this is a nice deal for anyone interested in the process. Those who know how I am about carbon understand that you will get you money's worth and it helps a great gallery as well. Win Win!

sanking
27-Mar-2013, 18:37
Erik, it would be nice to see you and I can show you your bellows in action.

Yes, I think this is a nice deal for anyone interested in the process. Those who know how I am about carbon understand that you will get you money's worth and it helps a great gallery as well. Win Win!

I am sure that anyone who takes a workshop with Jim on carbon will find the money well spent. If you are really interested in carbon printing a workshop will save you literally months and months of work on your own trying to figure out some of the ins and outs of the process. One of my former students remarked to me that the two days he spent with me probably saved him at least a year of work on his own.

There are some processes that are so easy one can literally learn on a week-end merely by following a good manual. Carbon is not one of these processes, and although it is possible to learn to do it on your own (Vaughh and I did) you will spend a lot more time doing so than if you just bite the bullet and spend a few days with a good carbon printer.

Sandy

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Mar-2013, 20:40
Sandy, I agree. With the teaching we give we can save the student months of not years of frustration. Carbon is not mastered in a few days or months. If one is dedicated to the process and learns the ins and outs and really understands what is going on then they will be able to make some amazing prints. I dedicated myself to carbon printing and only carbon printing for several years now and I still learn new things every time I print. Nice to pass this along in a workship environment.

photoevangelist
27-Mar-2013, 21:17
Ah, I wish I was't on the other side of the planet.. I'm still fighting with precious time to follow the "online" workshop...

Me too, Andreios! Wish I could be there, Jim!

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Mar-2013, 21:24
Lee and Andreios. I'll be around for a while I hope! Always willing to teach.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Mar-2013, 22:29
and although it is possible to learn to do it on your own (Vaughh and I did) you will spend a lot more time doing so than if you just bite the bullet and spend a few days with a good carbon printer.

I also taught myself the process. I've dedicated myself to carbon for 4 years. It took at least 3 months before I was happy with my output and at least a year before I could consistently produce prints, and then a little longer before I personalized the process. Had there been a workshop offered near me when I first started out, I would have jumped at the chance. If you have the chance, take a workshop! Carbon transfer is beautiful process. Good luck with your workshop, Jim!

andrew

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Mar-2013, 18:00
Just an update. I need to confirm with people but it looks like I may have only on spot left. For less than the price of one of my prints you can discover how to make your own! Also you may go home with a nice carbon print suitable for framing!

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Mar-2013, 10:54
Thanks to everyone who has signed up. The workshop is full. I am taking names for a waiting list just in case. So if you are local let me know and I'll put you on the list. Thanks!

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Mar-2013, 15:12
Looks like a couple of spots just opened up. So if interested let me know. thanks.

matthew blais
2-Apr-2013, 18:25
2 spots open for Saturday and one for Sunday.
Deposits received from three participants

Vaughn
3-Apr-2013, 09:13
I wish you the best with your workshops! I wish I was not so far away, or else I'd come by and offer to assist...it would be fun! Workshops are a blast!

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Apr-2013, 09:15
Wow, Vaughn that would be great. It is not a casual drive from where you are to Riverside. Workshops are fun and challenging at the same time. I love doing them.I still have two spots open for both Saturday and Sunday.