PDA

View Full Version : Cheap carrying solution for Cambo SCX 8x10??

dimento
25-Mar-2013, 07:51
HI guys, I'm looking to use my 8x10 Cambo on location and I'm afraid the large cardboard box with foam solution isn't cutting it. Budget is key, I can't afford a large peli-case or similar and many of the cheaper solutions like rolling studio bags are too small in one or other dimension. I'd ideally like something I can roll but don't mind whether it's a non-rolling storage system on a trolley or has wheels integrated. Living in Ireland so ideally something I can buy without too much difficulty on this side of the globe, or maybe acquire through the auction site or this forum

replies appreciated

thanks

BrianShaw
25-Mar-2013, 07:57
I carry my 4x5 Cambo in the Cambo case. Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-x-13-x-18-Black-Calumet-Hard-Case-View-4x5-Camera-Great-Condition-/111037223080?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item19da5590a8

It is big but holds the camera securely. Won't the 8x10 fit into the same case? I pull mine on a separate luggage trolley and while not totally convenient it is an affordable solution. Hopefully someone will be able to verify if the 8x10 will fit or not. Good luck!

dimento
25-Mar-2013, 08:04
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately 4x5 standard cases are too small, the scx has a 30 inch rail, and is approx 18.5 inches in width and height

Drew Bedo
26-Mar-2013, 08:24
Formany years now, every camera bag/case i own has been acquired as a used cast-off. Some of them pretty good ones. Even a well worn bag can be useful if only for the foam devisers or inserts.

I check at pawn shops and camera repair shops. Often they have camera bvags that are not a high value item for them and will let them go cheap. abnother source is non-profit resale shops and charity thrift stores. Nowadays there are plenty of roll-around compiter cases thatr cawn be great for camera gear. These can often be had for well under $10.

Maybe a cheap piece of luggage will work for your application.

boswald
26-Mar-2013, 08:53
For me the container was not the tricky part. It was balance. I ended up with one of those two-wheeled shopping drag-abouts with what look like medium sized plastic wheels from a lawn mower. The tripod goes on my side of the frame, and I have various bins- the heavy, almost rubbery plastic with 'good lip depth' and flat bungees and rubber snubbers holding it together. For traveling, I like cheap cloth webbing straps. Anyway, the wheelbase has to be able to prevent the sidewise twisting that'll break your grip(or wrist) as you cross an uneven surface. There's a guy with a 12x20 who uses a fancy bicycle trailer with brakes and a drop leg. But our 8x10s are compact and lightweight next to his rig.

Carl J
26-Mar-2013, 10:09
You might also consider getting a shorter rail. At the suggestion of another forum member I have 22 inch rail on my 810N, which is still too long, but does make it a bit more compact. The SCX has the extendable rail although I know these are hard to come by and thus may not be practical. Of course, still doesn't solve your basic problem but I do think a cart of some kind (and possibly a shorter rail) is the best idea if you don't want the hassle of taking it apart (and I wouldn't if I could avoid it). I thought about backpacks but it's such a bulky camera and the geared SCX weighs even more than my more basic model.

dimento
27-Mar-2013, 01:19
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I suppose I was kind of hoping someone had found a specific solution in the form of a readily available product that they found. I could spend days trawling luggage listings and rolling and hard case options on ebay and be no closer, so if anyone has found a specific fit for that camera or camera of similar dimensions and they can provide a link to the product so I can try and locate one that would be great.

@Carl thanks for the suggestion, I shoot mostly portraits so I think I might run into trouble with a shorter rail as I like to work reasonably close-up, plus as you point out, they're in short supply. Thanks anyway though, D

John Koehrer
27-Mar-2013, 10:37
Some of the rolling toolboxes from Home Depot or Menards may work out. There's a lot of variety in outdoor/sporting goods stores either in hunting or fishing departments too.

Jim C.
27-Mar-2013, 11:35
Trying to find a case for cambo 8x10 beast is not easy, I have a similar set up but with a 39" rail, you may want to look into used road cases,
I found one on the Bay for not much money fortunately it was sized for a 8x10 view camera.T hey do pop up from time to time, easy to add
casters if you wish, but they are awkward to lug around.

Actually a steamer trunk might fit the bill too.

If you're handy you could cobble a road case together to custom fit, they're nothing more than 1/2" plywood with abs plastic
faces with metal edging and corners.

Like these as an example - http://www.fibrecase.com/roadcases.html
hardware - http://www.reliablehardware.com/mostpopularstandardroadcasehardware.aspx