PDA

View Full Version : Putting a big wooden studio camera on a majestic?

36cm2
24-Mar-2013, 18:46
So is this a bad idea or a really bad idea? I have a large wooden studio camera (16"x16") that I've been restoring. I don't have the base for it (see pic below for what it should look like (thanks Steven Tribe)). Am I crazy to think I can use this thing on a Majestic 4800 with a Majestic head? I think the camera weighs about 30 lbs and that head is rated for 35. I have a Cambo SCH head that's rated for 50lb if that's better. And yes, I have been looking for an appropriate large wooden studio base, but the Century bipost bases are too narrow and every flat style one I see is going for beaucoup bucks. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Leo

Kimberly Anderson
24-Mar-2013, 20:10
I have a Century 7 on a Majestic head. No problems.

Bill_4606
24-Mar-2013, 20:29
Have you given thought about how you will attach the camera to the head?
The studio cameras I have seem to get a little top heavy on tripods. If you have to tilt the camera even a little, the balance could be a bit unstable. I guess it all depends on how you'll be using the camera. .... Hope it works for you!
Bill

BarryS
25-Mar-2013, 05:22
At the very least, I'd construct a tray that fits to the head, to hold and stabilize the camera. A large studio camera will probably be a bit miserable to use on a tripod--studio stands provide the stability, mobility, tilt, and elevation controls that are really an integral part of camera function. I don't like using a tripod for studio use with my 2D; it would be hard to imagine using my Century 8A (11x14) without the stand.

36cm2
25-Mar-2013, 06:43
Yes, a tray with some sort of bolt/strap arrangement was what I was thinking. Casters on the tripod as well. You're all solidifying my fear that it can done (meaning that I'll try it), but will likely be miserable (meaning I'll be miserable).

Steven Tribe
25-Mar-2013, 06:52
There is a larger/wider bi-post Century stand design which might be broad enough (Eddie?).

These German studio cameras expand to well over 1 meter so a long edged tray is necessary. Weight distribution is more even than the Century types, which helps stability/ability to carry big brass.

36cm2
25-Mar-2013, 08:30
There is a larger/wider bi-post Century stand design which might be broad enough (Eddie?).

These German studio cameras expand to well over 1 meter so a long edged tray is necessary. Weight distribution is more even than the Century types, which helps stability/ability to carry big brass.

Thanks Steven. I always wondered about that, because I've seen 3 come up in the last year and have inquired on the dimensions for each one. They always come back about an inch too narrow. If there's another version, I guess I'll focus my search on that.

And Steven, if you happen to see one of the original stands come up for sale in Denmark and you can't resist the urge to buy it and ship it to me with a big bow on top, please know that I won't be offended at all!!! ;) Your help on my original post about this camera was invaluable. It's looking much better these days. Just have to finish the bellows and it'll be back in working order.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Mark Sawyer
25-Mar-2013, 12:39
I love my studio stands, but if I needed one and couldn't find one, I think I'd consider building one from scratch or from an old end-table/plant stand/table pedestal or something. It's not hard to put a tilting hinged platform on top, so the only disadvantage would be losing the adjustable height, which wouldn't be a big loss for studio portraiture.

Steven Tribe
25-Mar-2013, 14:39
Apart from here and Sweden, I have seen these for sale in Germany (of course) and France - and, surprisingly, the UK. By "these" I mean Studio Cameras and/or Stands. These have been 4 wheeled, massive oak tripods as well as the smarter (and later) bipost type. The tripod tilt system looks like a massive sextant.

I'll keep my eyes open for one - one from an auction house would be easier in connection with transport, as they have connections.

36cm2
25-Mar-2013, 17:24
Thanks Steve.

Jonathan Barlow
26-Mar-2013, 11:52
You could always put the camera on a modern studio stand such as the Swiss-made FOBA Asaba. It's rated for 44 lbs and offers all the flexibility you could need in a studio.

Steven Tribe
26-Mar-2013, 12:25
Modern (not so modern anymore) stands work. You just need to mount a table with built-in tilt, on a side arm.