PDA

View Full Version : Gary Nyland in Jan/Feb View Camera

Merg Ross
24-Mar-2013, 18:03
Forum contributor Gary Nyland is represented by a small portfolio of his excellent b&w photography in the Jan/Feb issue of View Camera. The photos are from Western Canada, including a couple from one of my favorite places, (Vancouver Island). Congratulations, Gary!

Gary Nylander
24-Mar-2013, 21:05
Thank you very much for the mention, Merg.....that is very kind of you! I still have not received my Jan/Feb issue of View Camera, I am looking forward to it. Also I will be featuring Merg's work on my blog as I have started a feature where I highlight the work of other artists....http://garynylander.blogspot.ca/

Merg Ross
24-Mar-2013, 21:29
Gary, sorry for the misspelling, too late to correct. Of course, Gary Nylander.

I was thinking today of your newspaper work, and how the business has changed. My early days in photography, in fact my first paying job, entailed deadlines and photos made with a Speed Graphic. The film was souped for 5 minutes, the wet negative printed on Resisto paper, and ready for the engraver in less than 20 minutes, start to finish. We took great pride in our speed; times have surely changed!

Your Cape Scott photograph, terrific!

Best,
Merg

Gary Nylander
24-Mar-2013, 22:29
Hi Merg, now worries about the misspelling of my name :)

You had very good speed!, from development to print and to the engraver in less than 20 minutes, is very good, I can recall having to print "wet" literally a few times, ..... when I started my first newspaper job around 1976, 35mm was still considered "new" technology by some, even by the 1980's I would run into a few older reporters ( when they had to shoot pictures ) who refused to shoot with 35mm they would only use a twin lens medium format. By 2001, the paper I work for, the Kelowna Daily Courier had switched to digital, previous to that I was shooting with a Nikon F5 using Kodak Ektapress film which was scanned with Polaroid scanners. The digital camera we bought was the Nikon D1H, a whole 2.75 megapixels, it certainly saved time in processing film and scanning, I must admit I quite enjoy using digital for my work related pictures, but for my time off work, which was featured in VC, I throughly enjoy using my view cameras :)

Andrew O'Neill
28-Mar-2013, 14:24
Congratulation, Gary! I spent a few years in Kelowna back in the 80s and I remember a small shop on Bernard that kept pretty good photography supplies. Is it still there or has it morphed into something else?

Gary Nylander
28-Mar-2013, 21:37
Congratulation, Gary! I spent a few years in Kelowna back in the 80s and I remember a small shop on Bernard that kept pretty good photography supplies. Is it still there or has it morphed into something else?

Thanks, Andrew!, I'm not sure about a shop on Bernard Avenue, but there was a camera shop on Pandosy Street I believe, called Robinson's and the other camera shop that I used frequent quite often and where I bought my first 4 x 5 view camera was Candid Camera in Mission Park Mall, owned by Bob Christl, both those stores are long gone.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Mar-2013, 09:11
It must have been on Pandosy. So where does one in the Okanagan go about getting darkroom supplies, papers, films, etc, now?

Gary Nylander
29-Mar-2013, 11:09
It must have been on Pandosy. So where does one in the Okanagan go about getting darkroom supplies, papers, films, etc, now?

Hi Andrew, Very limited supplies in the Okanagan...... I do get some darkroom supplies through Lens and Shutter, on Harvey Avenue, 4 x 5 film is more difficult to get, no one stocks it here in the Okanagan. I had been getting T-Max 400, my favourite film, through Beau Photo in Vancouver, but their prices have shot up to $120 for a 50 sheet box :( I am now going to try Ilford HP5.... at the moment its more reasonable priced, in Canada here around $140 for a 100 sheet box although I have found prices as low as $101 for the same size box in the US.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Mar-2013, 11:26
Hi Gary, HP5 has been my main film in 8x10. Sometimes I go to Beau (I will this afternoon) and I have ordered from Rob Skeoch in Ontario (good person to deal with), but like everywhere else north of the 49th, it's getting pretty expensive. More and more I've been getting film from the States as there are some savings. TMY-2 is also my favourite film for 4x5... and I loved it in 8x10 (fabulous film for alt processes such as carbon transfer!), but I'm now down to only a few precious sheets. I've also incorporated xray film (8x10, 14x17) into my work about four years ago, which I hated at first, but now appreciate. It's not pan film but the green stuff is pretty special. Cheap, too. This I also get from the States.
If you are ever down this way, look me up. I'm in Coquitlam. There are a few of us who go out shooting.

andrew

Ari
29-Mar-2013, 12:25
Congratulations, Gary; it's an honour well-befitting your work.

Gary Nylander
29-Mar-2013, 16:11
Congratulations, Gary; it's an honour well-befitting your work.

Thanks Ari, you have nice work on your website.

Gary Nylander
29-Mar-2013, 16:12
Hi Gary, HP5 has been my main film in 8x10. Sometimes I go to Beau (I will this afternoon) and I have ordered from Rob Skeoch in Ontario (good person to deal with), but like everywhere else north of the 49th, it's getting pretty expensive. More and more I've been getting film from the States as there are some savings. TMY-2 is also my favourite film for 4x5... and I loved it in 8x10 (fabulous film for alt processes such as carbon transfer!), but I'm now down to only a few precious sheets. I've also incorporated xray film (8x10, 14x17) into my work about four years ago, which I hated at first, but now appreciate. It's not pan film but the green stuff is pretty special. Cheap, too. This I also get from the States.
If you are ever down this way, look me up. I'm in Coquitlam. There are a few of us who go out shooting.

andrew

Thanks, Andrew for your info!