View Full Version : JOBO 2523 MultiTank 2 +2509 Reel +COG +Core -- > Minus the instruction

24-Mar-2013, 16:43
JOBO 2523 MultiTank 2 +2509 Reel +COG +Core --> One of these sets will be arriving in the mail, regardless if I have a clue how to develop B&W 4x5 film with it or not. I tried reading through info online, but it's confusing. Without the benefit of a film loader and for hand agitation, what is the simplest way to develop B&W film? Specifics help such as amount of chemicals, etc..

If there are already tutorials out there, especially videos, please point them out. As a complete NEWBIE to developing I'm intimidated. Please help smooth the way. Thank you in advance!!

Brian C. Miller
25-Mar-2013, 06:23
I have the same setup.

Once you get the package, you'll see that the folks at Jobo have printed the requisite amount of chemicals on the side of the drum. That's the minimum amount to wet the film.

You don't need the film loader to load the reels. I have the loader, and I've only used it a few times. Just practice a little bit, and you'll be able to load the film very easily.

This uses the same lid as the other 2500-series drums. However, the lid cup doesn't hold enough chemicals for the film. The best way to use it, besides a Jobo machine, is to roll the drum on rollers, and use a garden watering can with a long spout to pour in the chemicals as you rotate it. You don't need anything fancy like the Jobo roller base (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1509-Jobo-Roller-Base-for-Tanks-and-Drums), just a plank with some furniture casters will work just fine.

25-Mar-2013, 08:17
You can find the required volumes on the Jobo site (http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/instructions/instructions_misc_tank_and_drum_capacities.htm) or, as mentioned, they are also printed on the side of the tank.

You'll definitely want to think about some kind of roller system. I use mine on an old Unicolor motor base for print drums.

The reason I say that is because on rollers, my 2521 needs about 300 ml of chemicals in the drum. I use 500 ml just to be safe (the drum sits on a bit of an angle on my rollers). If you want to do inversions you need enough chemicals to fill the entire drum and cover the film which is quite a bit more, I would guess at least 1 litre.

25-Mar-2013, 08:59
1250ml for inversion.