PDA

View Full Version : Pony Premo No. 6 missing parts

Michael Roberts
20-Mar-2013, 06:32
So, I took a flyer and bought a Pony Premo No. 6 5x7 from a non-camera person on ebay (always a risky endeavor)...and, of course, it arrives and is falling apart. I could probably just ship it back for a full refund, but it's a charity-benefit seller (or so they say), so I'm exploring options for finding the missing parts.

Here is what I need (need to know):

1. the side clamps (what Rochester Optical called clamps): these are the fly-nut type assembly that screw into the sides of the rear frame and which control rear tilt (what they called swing) and also holds the rear frame to the camera bed.

2. apparently (I don't know how this works, b/c I've never seen a working version) the front standard clamping mechanism. The little curved brass pull is present, but underneath the front standard there is only the brass rail guides. The bolt that is screwed on to the brass pull is visible underneath, but it is flush with the wood underside and it just spins around w/o any vertical adjustment. So, no way to clamp the front standard to the rail (that I can see).

Does anyone happen to have any of these parts/information or do you have one of these cameras and can post photos of what these parts look like so I can check McMaster-Carr for some kind of replacements?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Roberts
20-Mar-2013, 06:38
Here's a photo showing the slide clamps from the outside, and the front standard (top) from the 1901 catalog.
http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs/1901premopocolp514.htm

Jon Shiu
20-Mar-2013, 07:38
Hi, I had a premo many years ago. The back is interesting because it allows for tilt and swing or any combination of movements by pushing or pulling. The front pin is supposed to tighten down on the rail when rotated.

You can make a removable shim that slides in where the plate holder would go, so that you can focus accurately and use "modern" film holders.

Jon

goamules
20-Mar-2013, 08:30
Hey Jon,
I have a Century 5x7 folder like this. Are you saying the registration will be off with film holders? There was a discussion somewhere about flipping the ground glass around, but that didn't make sense to me. I guess before I use it I should take the lensboard off, and put a ruler through to the ground glass, then do the same to the holder with the slide removed. Correct?

Jon Shiu
20-Mar-2013, 09:01
Hey Jon,
I have a Century 5x7 folder like this. Are you saying the registration will be off with film holders? There was a discussion somewhere about flipping the ground glass around, but that didn't make sense to me. I guess before I use it I should take the lensboard off, and put a ruler through to the ground glass, then do the same to the holder with the slide removed. Correct?

Yes, do check it. The shim is a focusing shim to move the ground glass back a bit. Of course you remove the shim before inserting the film holder. I just built one up by sandwiching various thicknesses of mat board the size of a film holder with a window cut out in the middle. Reversing the ground glass, which moves the ground surface back by the thickness of the glass, may not be very precise.

Jon

Michael Roberts
20-Mar-2013, 11:58
Here are two pics showing the front standard. Appreciate it if someone can post a picture showing what it should look like with the correct clamping bits....

Steven Tribe
22-Mar-2013, 13:00
Don't have the Premo, but Cycle Pocos.

The 6 is the model added to after 1898 (I have the '98 catalogue). This is a double extension model.
There is nothing missing. The turn and lock mechanism needs to be serviced as the thread on the bolt is not catching on the female "thread" of the mount. It should be possible to do a repair. Far more important is the condition of the bellows!

The two side clamps on the body are very under-engineered and can brake off. You may find that friction between parts is enough to set the required angle.

Michael Roberts
22-Mar-2013, 16:36
Steven,
This is fantastic news. This is a picture of the bolt that drops in from the top. I don't see screw threads, but there is a "ledge" that is machined on one side of the bolt, and the bolt is smooth on the other side. What I can't see is how this can act as a clamp, unless....

There is a set screw on the bottom right side of the front standard (as you face the camera). Turning this set screw pushes one of the rail guides in--this would act to clamp the rail guide to the clamp. Putting what you report and what I am seeing together, my conclusion is there is a collar of some sort at the bottom of the shaft this brass bolt fits into that also activates a metal arm that pulls in the rail guide to clamp the rail, and what is NOT happening is the end of this bolt is not engaging the collar and arm mechanism.

The entire bottom of the front standard is covered by a brass plate. I may need to disassemble this to get to the collar at the bottom. I will play with it and see what I can work out.

BTW, I went to my local hardware store--McGuckins in Boulder, a fantastic place--and the knowledgeable folks in fasterners cobbled together a wing-nut-with-machine-screw-washer--toothed-washer--nut combo that seems to work great to replace the missing side clamps.

Also, the 1901 bellows is in great shape. No holes or tears. I do have two spots where the leather has separated from the underlying fabric. I am going to try wetting these two spots to moisten the glue and press them back into a seal with the underlayment.

Then all I have to do is figure out how to shim the gg frame for the t-depth for modern holders and fix one of the two gg frame springs that completely disassembled itself inside the camera back.

Jon Shiu
22-Mar-2013, 16:56
Ah, I believe you are correct that there is a hidden single sided clamping mechanism. So long ago, I confused it with the Cycle Poco, which is just a simple screw.

Jon

Steven Tribe
23-Mar-2013, 03:56
I agree with your deductions, Michael!
It should be easier to adapt this system, rather than a worn screw system.

I believe it was two brothers who ran the Poco and Premo Rochester companies - so they had to be different about details!

Then Uncle Eastman came along!