PDA

View Full Version : Contrasty neg on Adox

Pete Watkins
20-Mar-2013, 05:00
I need to do a 8x10 contact print on Adox Vario Classic matt paper. The neg is pretty contrasty as it was taken in bright summer sunshine. I don't have time to go out and buy manufacturers developers but I have plenty of chemicals. I have the Darkroom Cookbook and others but there is too much choice. Can anybody suggest a developer formula that I could use for this print?
Thanks in anticipation,
Pete.

Doremus Scudder
20-Mar-2013, 07:22
A classic low-contrast developer is Ansco 120 (p. 188 in my copy of TDC). I use it often for split developing and for printing higher-contrast negs on graded paper.

Best,

Doremus

Pete Watkins
20-Mar-2013, 08:22
Many thanks Doremus, I'll give it a try.
Pete

IanG
20-Mar-2013, 09:42
Simpler still use Ilford ID-3 (D165) which is the same as Selectol Soft, less contrast than Agfa Ansco 120

Ian

Pete Watkins
20-Mar-2013, 14:14
Thanks Ian, see ya soon.
Pete.

patrickjames
20-Mar-2013, 23:32
Why not keep it simple and just pre-flash the paper while using the developer to which you are accustomed?

IanG
21-Mar-2013, 02:22
Why not keep it simple and just pre-flash the paper while using the developer to which you are accustomed?

It's not quite the same, slightly different affect on the final print, a useful technique though.

Ian

Doremus Scudder
21-Mar-2013, 04:56
Simpler still use Ilford ID-3 (D165) which is the same as Selectol Soft, less contrast than Agfa Ansco 120
Ian

A good idea too. My notes say that replacing the 6g of Metol with 0.6g Phenidone will make an even softer-working formula.

And, preflashing is a good way to bring down highlight too if the reduction in contrast is acceptable. You can use both techniques together as well.

Best,

Doremus