PDA

View Full Version : Film is alive and well in the north west!

koh303
20-Mar-2013, 04:42
Just came back from a short hop around in the north west and found some really amazing things there.

Read my post about what i saw:
http://processorparts.blogspot.com/2013/03/film-is-alive-and-well-in-north-west.html

biedron
20-Mar-2013, 05:20
Wow, thanks for that report. I assumed such places no longer existed. Are you sure you didn't photoshop those pictures? :)

Bob

koh303
20-Mar-2013, 05:39
I was dumbfounded when i walked in, then when it happened twice in the same day, i was just smiling...

Ironage
20-Mar-2013, 05:46
Great report! Another place on my visit list if I get out there is Blue Moon Photo in Portland.

neil poulsen
20-Mar-2013, 05:54
If you're in the Portland area again, stop in at Blue Moon Camera in St. Johns, which is a small suburb of Portland. It's a neat place, and either Jake, or one of the sales people, can show you any number and any format of film cameras that they have on display.

RawheaD
21-Mar-2013, 00:49
I just heard about Glazers today from an Ebay seller; couldn't believe they still have some Adox 25s; went ahead and ordered 20 rolls and am seriouly contemplating whether or not I should order another 20...

Trigeek
21-Mar-2013, 02:39
I was thinking of where to retire to... problem solved. Now to convince my wife :o)

Noah B
21-Mar-2013, 05:40
That's great! If only there was a store like that here in Boston. I'd be in heaven if we had something like that!

brchambe
21-Mar-2013, 09:28
So I live in the Seattle area and Glazers is my "local". They actually have three stores right within a block of each other. One for film, darkroom and lighting. Another store for digital, inkjet printers and paper, video, tripods and bags, etc. And another store for rentals and classrooms. The rental store is not to be overlooked. It is very well stocked and they consider Friday afternoon to Monday morning to be a one day rental. I can pick up a 600mm lens for the weekend and only pay one days rental! Locally we refer to it as Mecca.

Bob Farr
21-Mar-2013, 10:13
Hi,

Am glad that you found that not only is the photo scene in the NW very active, film still plays a big part of what happens here. While I live in Kelso WA, Portland is where I find a community of friends and photographers. Newspace [I teach darkroom and LF into classes there] and Pro Photo are great finds. Of course stop at Blue Moon to visit Jake and staff for some photo treats. Hollywood Camera on NE Sandy also is a place to rummage for photo gear that may not be found at other locations. Blue Sky gallery is a top notch place to see pbotos and so is Lightbox gallery in Astoria OR. If you are able to go to some meetings, then the Portland Photographers Forum will usually have a presenter and a chance for members to show their work with feedback from the audience [very civil] and the Interim Photo Group also meets monthly for member show and tell. Then of course there is the excellent opportunity to photograph in the desert, mountains, coast or urban areas.

Cheers,
Bob

Heroique
21-Mar-2013, 10:33
Whenever I visit Glazers w/ questions about traditional photography, I always leave smarter than I was before. And when I visit w/ cash, I leave poorer than before – but it’s always a wise purchase. Walking by that giant film refrigerator is good for the soul!

Cletus
21-Mar-2013, 12:11
Just the kind of post to brighten up a glummy, depressing day! Right when I was having one of those "why am I bothering with all this?" moments....thank you for that!

rustyair
21-Mar-2013, 14:26
What?!?!?!?!?!?! :D

Fred L
21-Mar-2013, 18:16
I want that Agfa door thing ;)

koh303
22-Mar-2013, 14:26
Amazing, i was in the area only for a few days, and missed a few galleries that were closed in portland on a monday :(... but still i am so happy to see so many folks reading this post.

Perhaps i will go in search of our local (Boston area) magical film fridge, though as an insider, i can say phogedaboud-id with out really looking, though still worth a look.

Kuzano
22-Mar-2013, 15:02
Great post...

I live in Central Oregon, and have visited Pro Photo Supply and a couple of downtown camera stores in Portland in the past. I know about and visit the site of a educational gallery called Newspace Center for Photography. This is on their web site:

"Newspace Center for Photography is an educational and cultural nonprofit that is dedicated to promoting photographic education and appreciation to the public as well as providing a space and building a community where photo enthusiasts can learn, create, discuss and show their work."

These, I know about. I am happy to hear of the others listed in the blog.

I suspect there are even more spots like the ones I mention and listed in the blog. Portland has a rich background, and a current committment to the Arts, and photography is high on the list.

Furthermore, this is not "aging" information. The Newspace Gallery is relatively new, in the past few years.

Pro Photo Supply had all their services in one location. As a show of their committment to photography and their own busy future, they removed photo processing from their original location. They located, remodelled, and relocated a location about a block away, just 4-5 years ago. That's a plus, and somewhat consistent with the Arts climate in Portland Oregon.

Great place to work from or visit for photogs who are concerned about where photography is headed. It definitely has a future. I have pretty much burned out my inclinations to digital, and I am a 25 year computer consultant, so the technology does not inhibit me. I am mostly now medium format film and interested in becoming much more involved in large format than I have been in the past. And I've done a fair bit of that. Digital was an interruption and somewhat a waste of time, compared to what I really like to do with film.

Kuzano
22-Mar-2013, 17:53
Oh yes... and I forgot about U-Develop out on Barbur Boulevard on the way to Beaverton, outside of Portland. It's now called digicraft At U-Develop... same location. Original program was you spent $40 for a daylong orientation. Then you could come in and use film processing tools and chemicals, small enlarger rooms, someone at the count would translate your test strips and give you the settings for the enlarger. You had a paper safe and you took your print paper into the bigger darkroom and inserted it into a chemical processing machine. Then at appropriate time, you would go into the dark room and retrieve your prints. The cost was materials only.

I don't know how the system has changed since I used to go there, but they are still on Barbur and have a web site with a slate of services:

http://www.udevelop.com/

Bob Sawin
22-Mar-2013, 19:28
I stop by Glazers once a week to visit my money and to "freshen" my investment. They are a tremendous asset and do a great job.