PDA

View Full Version : Shutter for Medium format (645) DIY technical camera

John cox
19-Mar-2013, 22:00
I'm making a Medium format (645) DIY technical camera. I intend to use Hasselblad/P67 lenses on it that I mount onto a Hasselblad (or pentax) to Mamiya adapter (the adapter is secured to the camera). My problem is the lack of shutter. I know you guys make petzvals work so I thought I would ask here what the best work around is. I would prefer to do this at the mount so that I can still use my lens on my other bodies.

taulen
19-Mar-2013, 22:09
Considered a packard shutter ?

John cox
20-Mar-2013, 01:08
Considered a packard shutter ?

I actually solved this about an hour ago. There are Copal 3 shutters on eBay with about a 45mm inner diameter. That's perfect for my lenses so I'll mount that behind the lens mount and then have the Hassy lens in front.

taulen
21-Mar-2013, 12:58
Can I ask how you are going to get all this light-tight ?

Bob Salomon
21-Mar-2013, 13:48
Why would you limit yourself to just those lenses when the new digital lenses are great with roll film and go as wide as 23mm?

taulen
21-Mar-2013, 14:06
Probably because he already have them, since he says he want to continue using them with his other bodies.

Bob Salomon
21-Mar-2013, 14:32
Probably because he already have them, since he says he want to continue using them with his other bodies.

Not directly.

C. D. Keth
21-Mar-2013, 15:16
Why would you limit yourself to just those lenses when the new digital lenses are great with roll film and go as wide as 23mm?

Telling a guy to buy all new lenses really isn't helpful.

John cox
22-Mar-2013, 01:20
I plan on fabricating the body using resin and the lost mold technique. The adapter will be sitting in the resin as it hardens, then I can attach the lenses to the adapter. I haven't worked out the exact position of the shutter just yet (I may put it in the resin and just glue the adapter onto the shutter.)
The body will consist of two overlapping pieces that have baffles, I'm going to carve prototypes out of wax (paraffin) to use to make the mold, then use hot water to melt out the wax.

Exactly.

Steve Smith
22-Mar-2013, 07:51

Can't see why it would be a problem keeping light out.

Steve.

rvrazvan
30-Mar-2013, 08:01
Is it possible to share some images with the camera. I have something similar in mind, and there are not so many resources around :D.

blanc
26-Apr-2013, 03:12
Avoid glueing or molding the shutter directlu in the resin, if it fails you'd have a hard time taking it out...

As you're making parafin molds just copy the thread of the shutter with it twisting a slightly larger bit of parafin inside the thread to mark it in. then carve the hassy thread and check if it still fits or do it the other way (keep material to make the hassy part then thread into the shutter's thread)
But avoid gluing to the shutter or any other thing that involves some messy liquid that can make its way inside and spoil it...